Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Cooking in Hungary

Cooking in Hungary

Old Sep 2nd 2012, 8:44 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking in Hungary

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I can feel a Benny Hill moment coming on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mdXLfx0xoQ
Do you want is pasteurised, cos pasteurised is best?....
God, I can actually remember that sketch, I feel old
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, here is the picture of the cream I use. The dictionary says it's whipping cream.
Attached Thumbnails Cooking in Hungary-p1000709_1086.jpg  
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:09 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judybaby
OK, here is the picture of the cream I use. The dictionary says it's whipping cream.
Cheers for that. Yes, same as the one I use but different make, will give it a try. The literal translation is hab - foam, tej - milk, now that I understand then but then szin- colour. Does that mean it isn't actually real cream but just looks like it?

Rural bye as she goes to market to buy a cow.....
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

In my Magyar/English dictionary habtejszine is whipped cream.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:47 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by judybaby
In my Magyar/English dictionary habtejszine is whipped cream.
Yes, it's whipped cream but the literal translation, if broken down, translates as foam milk colour.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody has mentioned cooking salt but perhaps not many people in UK use it anyway? I mainly picked up cooking from my mother and she always used cooking salt in boiled veg so I do the same. It is easier to gauge the right amount than with table salt but I don't think it exists in Hungary.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

Hate to keep on, this isn't just conversation, I would really like to know. If one makes a coffee cream, usually with double cream to float like home, which cream would be best to use? Has anyone tried or know, or will it be a case of trial and error?
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:21 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by bronty
Hate to keep on, this isn't just conversation, I would really like to know. If one makes a coffee cream, usually with double cream to float like home, which cream would be best to use? Has anyone tried or know, or will it be a case of trial and error?
Might work with the one I buy if you shake it well before use as it has an amount of really thick cream and then the thinner cream - like the solid cream you used to get on top of the milk but much more of it.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Have not been following this thread as v busy at the Mo,but i recall Rural missing her Lamb,well as much as it goes against the grain as a very long standing vegetarian a friend of ours has two lambs ready up to weight and ready to go,These can be collected live or butchered and dressed if anyone has intrest let me know and i will pass it on,i am sure a meet on or near the border could be arranged.All good wishes,Mike.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 11:37 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet
Have not been following this thread as v busy at the Mo,but i recall Rural missing her Lamb,well as much as it goes against the grain as a very long standing vegetarian a friend of ours has two lambs ready up to weight and ready to go,These can be collected live or butchered and dressed if anyone has intrest let me know and i will pass it on,i am sure a meet on or near the border could be arranged.All good wishes,Mike.
Hi Mike, thanks for that - do you know how much they want per lamb butchered and not butchered? Thanks, PM me if you prefer.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

Would be just the job if I was there. Won't be settled until October I should imagine. But just to let you know, there is definate interest from others I know, and myself in the future. Timing is bad for me right now. Thanks for the info, appreciated.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Hi Rural,P.M sent.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:08 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet
Hi Rural,P.M sent.
Cheers, will PM reply soon.

In the meantime, anybody else interested in lamb at a reasonable price, we would be willing to collect or go with somebody should they wish to purchase the other lamb as we could then half petrol costs.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
In the meantime, anybody else interested in lamb at a reasonable price, we would be willing to collect or go with somebody should they wish to purchase the other lamb as we could then half petrol costs.
Both lambs are now taken
Old Sep 15th 2012, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't buy much tinned food as I don't really know what I'm buying. This evening I opened a tin of "pacalpörkölt csülökhússal". I knew it would be stew with meat of some sort but the meat turns out to be tripe!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.