Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Cooking in Hungary

Cooking in Hungary

Old Sep 2nd 2012, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cooking in Hungary

Blimey! That's a bit technical, I'll have a go tomorrow, when I don't have any wine in me!!
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting about the milk. I always buy the 2.8% fat sort and I had thought it was the equivalent of semi skimmed but it seems not. I wonder why it keeps longer than in UK? The milk I bought today has another 17 days shelf life. In UK the shelf life is about a week and it usually goes off soon after but I've never had to throw out milk in Hungary.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

Now that sounds scary. What sort of milk are we talking about?
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 6:02 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judybaby
Blimey! That's a bit technical, I'll have a go tomorrow, when I don't have any wine in me!!
Try getting ready for school with a few glasses of the neighbours white - now that's technical
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 6:03 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bronty
Now that sounds scary. What sort of milk are we talking about?
I thought the same, initially I thought - UHT - but then 17 days was mentioned hmmmm
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Again it's just the standard cartons of milk from Lidl. I get about 80% of my groceries there, the same as I did in Scotland. I sometimes get it from Penny Market but I'm sure that has similar shelf life. I do have UHT as well, in case I run out of fresh. I can't tell the difference in taste but I know some people tried UHT years ago and don't realise how much it has improved over the years. I can't drink sterilised milk though, that does taste disgusting!
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 6:25 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Again it's just the standard cartons of milk from Lidl. I get about 80% of my groceries there, the same as I did in Scotland. I sometimes get it from Penny Market but I'm sure that has similar shelf life. I do have UHT as well, in case I run out of fresh. I can't tell the difference in taste but I know some people tried UHT years ago and don't realise how much it has improved over the years. I can't drink sterilised milk though, that does taste disgusting!
I have tried the UHT here as it's all the village shop sells. It just tastes like watered down carnation milk to me but then I have sensitive taste buds (can taste the iron in the water etc) and I'm the only one in the family who doesn't like it. Just spoke with hubby and he said the Spar milk has a long life span as well and Tesco has a 14-15 day shelf life. You have now freaked me out as to what has been done to that milk to make it last so long!!!!!!!!! Does this mean I have to milk my own cows and pasteurise the milk myself so I know it safe
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

This might be a case of trial and error. Buy one of each and try them for size.
I know some things taste different even though they might be the same brand as in the UK. I see where you're coming from when you are sticking to the same taste you are used to.
For example, I drink Nescafe, but the one in Hungary tasted strange so I changed to Nescafe Gold, which tasted the same as here. Litte things, but a little of home from home.
While we're still on dairy, you don't get away so easy, I still don't know what this fozo habtejszin is. It means cooking cream, but what is it?
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Coincided with the last reply......long life on normal milk is worrying. If you ever milk a cow, I will pass on coffee.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 6:41 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Coincided with the last reply......long life on normal milk is worrying. If you ever milk a cow, I will pass on coffee.
I was hoping to flog it to you!!!!!!!! Freshly pasteurised by my own fair hands...

Cooking cream is just like an imitation single cream - if that makes sense. Like carnation milk but with a different taste and it doesn't curdle when heated so ideal for sauces etc
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

I can picture it now..........................
I make my sauces with milk, any difference using the 'normal' (even though it has an unusually long life) milk?
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 6:58 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I can picture it now..........................
I make my sauces with milk, any difference using the 'normal' (even though it has an unusually long life) milk?
No, perfectly fine using the milk.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

When you think you have covered everything....what is the situation on just nipping to the supermarket for that rump/sirloin steak for supper?
And if you're wondering when this is going to end, when I know where to get all the items on my normal shopping list. Pointless putting it off, when all the answers can be weaned out now.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 7:13 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

When you think you have covered everything....what is the situation on just nipping to the supermarket for that rump/sirloin steak for supper?
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can feel a Benny Hill moment coming on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mdXLfx0xoQ
Do you want is pasteurised, cos pasteurised is best?....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.