Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Back Garden Project Ideas Wanted

Back Garden Project Ideas Wanted

Old Sep 21st 2021, 9:54 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back Garden Project Ideas Wanted

I recently had my back garden regraded and I am looking for some ideas. Keep the following ideas in mind before making suggestions. I am handicapped and high maintenance plants that require constant maintenance such as weeding are unworkable for me because I can not get down on the ground to do weeding. I can get a neighbours teenage son to do the planting and occassional work for me in the garden but his available time is limited. Also, I have dogs so any plants must be pet friendly (no poisonous berries etc). I am planning a fire pit or outdoor fireplace, A waterfall type feature, and a covered terrace back there as well as a fence to be a boundary for the shrubbery I plan to plant. This garden will be 17.5 metres wide and 28 metres deep. I do intend to plant a couple of Quercus Robur Oaks out there as well. The existing apple trees are very old and very fragile and every time we get a wind storm they loose limbs. I am afraid they will have to come down in a few years due to their fragility. We already had one removed and it was hollow on the inside from insect damage and I can tell the other 2 are also in similar shape.

I am attaching a few photographs for you to get an idea.

The new back fence will located close to the apple tree. From the Apple tree to the back of the barn is about 28 metres.

I still need to install the new fence behind the apple trees and on the right side looking at the barn. That will happen in the next few weeks. I intend to do most of the work next spring.

Last edited by Jack_Russells4ever; Sep 21st 2021 at 10:04 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 10:59 am
Just Joined

RickyRocket98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back Garden Project Ideas Wanted

Have you considered installing beton pavers such as the interlocking ones from Leier on your bottom area bounded by the sloped steps? You could make a nice area there that will be practically maintenance free and have versatile uses from BBQs and Parties as well as a good place to park your cars. I think I would plant grass on the sloped areas and the upper section if you want low maintenance.

Maybe something like these?

Old Sep 23rd 2021, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

How about raised flower beds? You won't have to get down on your knees. You could make the flower beds come up to a suitable height and width.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have the whole area grassed over with brick paving to the covered terrace and anywhere else, like to a gate, water feature, outdoor kitchen, etc. It will be impossible to stop weeds growing unless you use a pet friendly weed killer. An alternative to brick paving is using gravel but the stones can end up on the grassed area. Advantage with gravel is it allows rain to soak through. With brick paving rain runs off onto the grassed area. Had gravel in middle of my old UK house rear garden and although easy maintenance I didn't think it was dog friendly, especially if you think about walking barefoot on a beach with pebbles or shingles.
If you're looking for a hedge to use as a screen or some shade our new house has two different hedges. One grows more thicker but slower upwards and the other more upwards so is thinner than the other. No idea of the name.
Covered terrace - mother-in-law property had a covered terrace and permanent gazebo. Both of same design ....... and not fit for purpose. Reason being all around had vertical slats and held in place by a strip of wood along both sides as well at the bottom. The gap between the slats allowed water to collect leading to the wood being permanently wet and then rotting.
​​​​
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 7:42 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions RickyRocket and FenTiger. I like the idea of using interlocking pavers for part of the lower bottom level but not all of it. I have had a mole issue up til now and these mole hills and holes plus my dogs digging holes trying to get them is a problem for me being disabled and being clumsy walking so maybe I can see using them next to the old barn the first 4 or 5 metres. I want to be able to walk barefoot out there so gravel isn't something I would like.

I do want some grass on the lower level and a couple of oak trees.

I did consider raised beds for flowers and maybe a couple of smaller ones could work built from some bricks or cut stone. Maybe a couple of raised bed flower beds with a couple of built in seating areas together could work.

I am looking at this tree and these 2 different shrubs for hedging. I want a privacy hedge and a deterent for anyone desiring to come over the back fence is the reason for the first one. The second one because it has varied appearnce during the year.

I realise that I may not be able to make all my ideas work but at least I have some ideas. The trees, privacy shrubs are firm in my desires the other ideas I will adopt if I can make them fit in my space.

Quercus robur oak tree

Pyracantha, has fruits for the birds during the cold months and nasty thorns to deter climbing a back fence.

Photina Red Robin hedge

Last edited by Jack_Russells4ever; Sep 23rd 2021 at 7:55 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

This hedge is tall and slim. The roots are very close together and would be difficult to get through. It's 2m+ tall. The top wouldn't be strong enough to support anyone climbing over.

This hedge as you can see is thicker. Seems to grow faster outwards. With this one being thicker I'd think someone could easily get over the top.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Thanks for the suggestions RickyRocket and FenTiger. I like the idea of using interlocking pavers for part of the lower bottom level but not all of it. I have had a mole issue up til now and these mole hills and holes plus my dogs digging holes trying to get them is a problem for me being disabled and being clumsy walking so maybe I can see using them next to the old barn the first 4 or 5 metres. I want to be able to walk barefoot out there so gravel isn't something I would like.

I do want some grass on the lower level and a couple of oak trees.

I did consider raised beds for flowers and maybe a couple of smaller ones could work built from some bricks or cut stone. Maybe a couple of raised bed flower beds with a couple of built in seating areas together could work.

I am looking at this tree and these 2 different shrubs for hedging. I want a privacy hedge and a deterent for anyone desiring to come over the back fence is the reason for the first one. The second one because it has varied appearnce during the year.

Quercus robur oak tree

Pyracantha, has fruits for the birds during the cold months and nasty thorns to deter climbing a back fence.

Photina Red Robin hedge

I like those two hedges as they add colour.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 8:55 am
Banned

I think the hedges I am considering would be very good due to the varied looks of them during the year. I did consider other hedging and even blackberry but they don't provide the privacy I want with year round foliage. I have good neighbours right now but one never knows if that will change so now is the time to plant my hedges and being my property backs up to a forest one never knows if someone up to no good may decide to try and come over the boundary for a look at what they may be able to steal. I can tell you from personal experience with Pyracantha, no one with 2 remaining brain cells left to rub together will tangle with trying to climb or walk through them. Sure someone could penetrate them with the proper tools but my dogs will no doubt be there to announce their arrival if they succesfully breach through.

The oak trees shown are just an example of what they could look like within a few years of planting. I have to purchase managable size trees so about 3-4 metre tall with a 80-100 litre root bucket is going to be all I can get planted without an tractor with a backhoe and front end loader. No doubt a 3-4 metre tree will take 5-10 years to get to the size of the ones in my photograph. I probably will eventually plant a total of 8 or 9 on my entire property. I have 4200 m2 in total. I see me also getting a couple of Magnolia trees and a couple sweet cherry trees to go somewhere on the property. I like fruit trees but they are just too much maintenance.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I have a circular Gazebo/Pergola seating area and the whole thing is covered in Honeysuckle.
Sitting in the morning with my cup of tea and listening to all the happy bees hard at work is very pleasant but the smell in the early evening is by far the best part.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 1:05 pm
Banned

I have bees out there. I just discoved what has been attacking my apple trees. That would be carpenter bees. I took my shovel trying to knock some dirt off it and a swarm of carpenter bees came out of the apple tree I hit with it. Luckily it was cold outside when I did it and they swarmed around for a couple minutes and went back inside the tree. I already had to cut down one of them last year and it was hollow on the inside. The other 2 are also like that no doubt. The apples are not that good and most of them fall off the tree before they ever get ripe.

I do like the smell of honeysuckle. Maybe I can get some to plant to go by my planned terrace.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I think the hedges I am considering would be very good due to the varied looks of them during the year. I did consider other hedging and even blackberry but they don't provide the privacy I want with year round foliage. I have good neighbours right now but one never knows if that will change so now is the time to plant my hedges and being my property backs up to a forest one never knows if someone up to no good may decide to try and come over the boundary for a look at what they may be able to steal. I can tell you from personal experience with Pyracantha, no one with 2 remaining brain cells left to rub together will tangle with trying to climb or walk through them. Sure someone could penetrate them with the proper tools but my dogs will no doubt be there to announce their arrival if they succesfully breach through.

The oak trees shown are just an example of what they could look like within a few years of planting. I have to purchase managable size trees so about 3-4 metre tall with a 80-100 litre root bucket is going to be all I can get planted without an tractor with a backhoe and front end loader. No doubt a 3-4 metre tree will take 5-10 years to get to the size of the ones in my photograph. I probably will eventually plant a total of 8 or 9 on my entire property. I have 4200 m2 in total. I see me also getting a couple of Magnolia trees and a couple sweet cherry trees to go somewhere on the property. I like fruit trees but they are just too much maintenance.
I have a Spirea hedge at the front fence of my house. It was just half a dozen "sticks" when I first planted it, but it grew very quickly and despite having been drastically cut back several times over the years quickly grows back again. It's around one metre deep and about 1.5 metres high and no one could get through it. Mine's white but you can get different colours.

https://www.naturehills.com/blog/pos...lowering-shrub

Old Sep 23rd 2021, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
I have a Spirea hedge at the front fence of my house. It was just half a dozen "sticks" when I first planted it, but it grew very quickly and despite having been drastically cut back several times over the years quickly grows back again. It's around one metre deep and about 1.5 metres high and no one could get through it. Mine's white but you can get different colours.

that looks nice. I like different colours.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 3:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sachina

Looks nice but not tall enough for me to use behind my garden. I want shrubs that can reach 3 metre tall no problem.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

How about brick pavers, but spaced so that you can plant a low herb in the soil-filled intervals .................. something like chamomile is creeping, has tiny flowers, smells lovely when the foliage is crushed when you walk over it. There is also, I believe, a creeping mint form that could be used .......... although mint can be a dreadful spreader!

A friend used larger concrete slabs to lead from the house up to the back of their property, with low steps at intervals, and chamomile between every 3 or 4 slabs. They loved in that house for over 15 years, and the paths needed very little maintenance.

The spacing with soil also allows water drainage, unlike solid paving.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 7:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by scilly
How about brick pavers, but spaced so that you can plant a low herb in the soil-filled intervals .................. something like chamomile is creeping, has tiny flowers, smells lovely when the foliage is crushed when you walk over it. There is also, I believe, a creeping mint form that could be used .......... although mint can be a dreadful spreader!

A friend used larger concrete slabs to lead from the house up to the back of their property, with low steps at intervals, and chamomile between every 3 or 4 slabs. They loved in that house for over 15 years, and the paths needed very little maintenance.

The spacing with soil also allows water drainage, unlike solid paving.
I do plan to install a walkway but I am considering concrete with a washed gravel finish, I could probably leave gaps between each one to make a stepping stone effect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.