Wikiposts

GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:56 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Similar stuff in today's Herald. Don't any of these government ministers or media people do any research - they seem to be confusing the residence route and the business route. The HCI London says that Business visas are usually for six months, and the RBI have repeatedly said that they don't issue clearances or certificates under FEMA and money should be transferred through normal banking channels.
otoh the confusion may be deliberate - setting impossible conditions!

AndyD 8-(#
Hi,
Even worse GOA TO SEIZE PROPERTIES OF FOREIGNERS

in http://tribuneindia.com/2008/20080315/nation

Does Goan law differ from Indian Law where properties are concerned?
What do they mean by land! does it mean foreigners buying up LAND or the Apartments we live in? :curse:

Wish they could be desisive one way or the other.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Calangute,Goa (October -May) Pattaya,Thailand (May-Oct)
enfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really nice

For what it's worth , I heard from a well connected Dehli political source,this week,that the National Government is seriously embarrassed by the Government in Goa.
The mishandling and adverse publicity of the 'Scarlett' case has just compounded their determination to take action against what they see as one of the most corrupt and inept State Governments in India.
Their reluctance to move with the times regarding SEZ's etc. and the terrible situation in the State re garbage,stray dogs,sewage problems etc. has just increased the pressure to do something about it.
The smart money is on Goa being amalgamatred.mergered,call it what you will into Maharashtra. Would this be a good or bad move?
Watch this space.

Happy Rumours
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:26 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enfield951
For what it's worth , I heard from a well connected Dehli political source,this week,that the National Government is seriously embarrassed by the Government in Goa.
The mishandling and adverse publicity of the 'Scarlett' case has just compounded their determination to take action against what they see as one of the most corrupt and inept State Governments in India.
Their reluctance to move with the times regarding SEZ's etc. and the terrible situation in the State re garbage,stray dogs,sewage problems etc. has just increased the pressure to do something about it.
The smart money is on Goa being amalgamatred.mergered,call it what you will into Maharashtra. Would this be a good or bad move?
Watch this space.

Happy Rumours
Oh well, if it takes as long as it has to move the boat, I will be pushing up daisies

Has anyone heard the outcome of the enquiry on them.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by noni
Hi,
Even worse GOA TO SEIZE PROPERTIES OF FOREIGNERS

in http://tribuneindia.com/2008/20080315/nation

Does Goan law differ from Indian Law where properties are concerned?
What do they mean by land! does it mean foreigners buying up LAND or the Apartments we live in? :curse:

Wish they could be desisive one way or the other.
I think some people are deliberately confusing 'land', 'property' and 'house / flat' - in UK and most places 'property' means buildings (or land with buildings on). In India it means land.
fwiw I got my views published in the Herald today - find it here
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

catpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nice

Congratulations on getting published. It's an excellent summary.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:24 am

I think some people are deliberately confusing 'land', 'property' and 'house / flat' - in UK and most places 'property' means buildings (or land with buildings on). In India it means land.

Yes read it thought it was YOU. Have cut it out for when the big guns come around.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Well done Andy,

Excellant work.......i think you should definately be our official spokesman on the property topic.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Sam K is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by noni
Yes read it thought it was YOU. Have cut it out for when the big guns come around.
Hi evrybody !
Since ths tread is related wid pruchase of Goan Properties ... i thght i'll juz share a cpl of latest devlpmnts out thr in Goa.

Wid da current regulations ... i ges itz gonna b impossible 2 get ne of da goan properties & i've even heard tht ppl who hv alrdy purchased goin da othr way round .. stand liable 2 lose thr properties... the Goa Govt. is contemplating confiscation of all da properties whch r proved as illegal and getting into any new purchase deals is juz nxt 2 impossible.

A few url's r given below 2 update da current situation out there.

In brief ...
1. Goans r being urged not 2 sell any land to FN's ( might b applicable 2 all kinds of immovable properites)
2. RBI & State Govt. r gonna b more tough wid issuing clearances etc related to new property purchases in goa by FN's...thr r talks tht even da visit visa might b curtailed 2 a max of 3 months...buisness visa's ...hahahahaa... consider urself lucky if u ever get 1.
3. Ppl who hv invested their lifetime savings in da hope of settling down in Goa might b da worst hit...wid properties being taken back by the Govt.
4. Goans r feeling threatned by da potential long term dangers being percieved by the Govt. & NGO's...who r hell bent on stopping all da property deals wid FN's.
5. They juz want u thr as guests and not as settlers / co-owners of Goa.

It wud b wise 2 seriously consider da above facts b4 jumping into any kind of deals....rembr juz dont tk anything 4 granted which might 2 misleading by da layers & builders who r out thr 2 make huge profits at ur expense.

Till then happy holidaying in Goa....

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-n...-state/289609/

http://oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=1750&cid=2

http://www.navhindtimes.com/articles...tory_ID=032967

http://www.navhindtimes.com/articles...tory_ID=030828

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv...WEN20080045329

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/R...ow/2909553.cms
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:24 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam

as my other post, please do not post in text speak
Many thanks
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

John Chappell will become famous soon enoughJohn Chappell will become famous soon enough

Hi Andy,

Very well done indeed, and many thanks for such a lucid appraisal of this fiasco.

Regards

John

Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by John Chappell
Hi Andy,

Very well done indeed, and many thanks for such a lucid appraisal of this fiasco.

Regards

John
It seems the Goan government may have "trumped my Ace" by passing a new law, however it remains to be seen what they actually intend to implement. It may be no more than formalising a requirement for Registrars to validate FEMA compliance or it may be an attempt at an outright ban on foreigners buying 'property'. If it's the latter though they may at the very least need the President of India's signature on their new law because it would conflict with existing federal law, and the Constitution of India doesn't allow that.

AndyD 8-)#

Last edited by a_f_d; Mar 30th 2008 at 12:29 am.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

It seems the Goan government may have "trumped my Ace" by passing a new law, however it remains to be seen what they actually intend to implement. It may be no more than formalising a requirement for Registrars to validate FEMA compliance or it may be an attempt at an outright ban on foreigners buying 'property'. If it's the latter though they may at the very least need the President of India's signature on their new law because it would conflict with existing federal law, and the Constitution of India doesn't allow that.

AndyD 8-)#
Hi All,
AFAIK the only differance now is that the Registrars are given more powers to scrutinise documents.
It was always stated that non resident FNs could not purchase immovable property and the resident 182 day rule was always there so after observing the following link i can't really see much differance...........unless they are planning to enforce the existing rules more stringently. More Baksheesh needed????

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv....aspx?id=25813

Surely any new ammendments to the law cannot be applied to those persons who have already purchased prior to the bills being introduced.....can they???
Is this not un-lawful in itself???

I think the Goan Government are trying to divert attention and cover their asses after the Scarlett Keeling incident. More allegations have been layed at the police today from Indian Womans Groups....and Luis now infamous Anjuna Shack has 'vanished'.

What does this all mean???
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi All,
AFAIK the only differance now is that the Registrars are given more powers to scrutinise documents.
It was always stated that non resident FNs could not purchase immovable property and the resident 182 day rule was always there so after observing the following link i can't really see much differance...........unless they are planning to enforce the existing rules more stringently. More Baksheesh needed????

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv....aspx?id=25813

Surely any new ammendments to the law cannot be applied to those persons who have already purchased prior to the bills being introduced.....can they???
Is this not un-lawful in itself???

I think the Goan Government are trying to divert attention and cover their asses after the Scarlett Keeling incident. More allegations have been layed at the police today from Indian Womans Groups....and Luis now infamous Anjuna Shack has 'vanished'.

What does this all mean???
afaik the new law gives the Goan gov. the right to issue a notice to the registrars saying that 'any document or class of documents' shall not be registered because they are against the public interest (typical of politicians to confuse their interests with the public good!)
also...
.. remember that PIO's are foreigners!
So depending on how the Goan government word their new regulations PIO's may be barred too!

AndyD 8-(#

P.S. but see my comments (here? another thread?) re the Indian Constitution

Last edited by a_f_d; Mar 31st 2008 at 12:28 am. Reason: postscipt
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

.. remember that PIO's are foreigners!
So depending on how the Goan government word their new regulations PIO's may be barred too!

AndyD 8-(#
Hi Andy,
A PIO Card holder has got permission to purchase immovable property in India, this is one of the main benefits of the card. I personally had no problems registering my property in Dec past and have obtained the deeds. The registrar told me there was no restriction on PIO Card holders buying property. Having said that, i do believe restrictions on how many properties a PIO card holder can obtain will be eventually applied. At the moment there is no restriction on the number of properties they can purchase.

The various benefits available to a PIO cardholders are:
  • No visa required for visiting India during the period of validity of PIO Card.
  • Exemption from the requirement of registration if stay in India does not exceed 6 months. Should the continuous stay exceed six months, registration will be required within 30 days of the expiry of six months with the concerned Foreigners Registration Officer. (Click Here For Registration Checklist)
  • Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational fields.
  • All facilities in the matter of acquisition, holding, transfer and disposal of immovable properties in India except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties.
  • Facilities available to children of NRIs for getting admission to educational institutions in India including medical colleges, engineering colleges, Institutes of Technology, Institutes of Management etc. under the general categories.
  • Facilities available under the various housing schemes of LIC, State Governments and other Government agencies.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that even if you are a PIO you have to produce a PIO Card to register your property....i had to produce the original and provide copies for the registrars file.

Regards,
Remy
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

John Chappell will become famous soon enoughJohn Chappell will become famous soon enough

Hi Remy & All interested,
Also the same regulations apply to FN's who have adhered to the laws of India, FEMA is VERY clear.

Regards to all

John

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Andy,
A PIO Card holder has got permission to purchase immovable property in India, this is one of the main benefits of the card. I personally had no problems registering my property in Dec past and have obtained the deeds.

Regards,
Remy
SNIP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.