GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Oct 13th 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by a_f_d
wen said

please don't shout.
There is absolutely nothing in FEMA (and only FEMA counts for this purpose) that says you can't 'get' your days on two (or more) tourist visas.

AndyD 8-)#
Hi Andy/All

Doing the days means nothing.........its immposible to aquire FEMA Residency and tick all apropriate boxes whilst on a tourist visa.

If it is possible then why has it not been done?

Remember everyone, according to FEMA you have to be a Resident FN to legally purchase property.....not purchase property and then seek to become a resident fn.

Also to add more fuel to the fire......if you look again at Chief Secretay JP Singhs statement you will see that he says you cannot retire in Goa.
I for one dont agree with this but it does show their state of mind on this.

Regards,
Remy
Old Oct 13th 2007, 1:41 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

like noni said - you have to be retired (or something) to "do your 183 days".
But that is for purchase - i.e. a Deed of Sale. As even Douglas admitted an Agreement of Sale does not transfer ownership of property.

AndyD 8-)#

I could have just been a "housewife" we had to be "properly retired" and give details of our x-employers, and with an income - not that we could claim from Indian Government, like their people do from ours.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 3:13 pm
wen
Forum Regular

wen will become famous soon enoughwen will become famous soon enough

wen said

please don't shout.
There is absolutely nothing in FEMA (and only FEMA counts for this purpose) that says you can't 'get' your days on two (or more) tourist visas.

AndyD 8-)#
And there's nothing in FEMA that mentions a visa THINK ABOUT IT ANDY yo
Like I said earlier, been there done that, got the G.O.A. teeshirt
G. O. A = Giving Others Advice
Old Oct 13th 2007, 8:04 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wen
And there's nothing in FEMA that mentions a visa THINK ABOUT IT ANDY yo
Like I said earlier, been there done that, got the G.O.A. teeshirt
G. O. A = Giving Others Advice
G.F.U.
g.o.a.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

John Chappell will become famous soon enoughJohn Chappell will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Wen,

Thankyou for confirming something that i have been trying to get across to some people for a very long time. Even though some people will argue that FEMA Residency and FRRO Residency are two differant things, i believe that they are indeed inextricably linked.

Its not logical to think that you can buy a house but cant buy a gas cylinder or a vehicle without 'proper' residency. Also like i have said before, people cant ignore visas as they determine the capacity in which you are in the country in the first place. Furthermore if you dont tick all the boxes for FEMA residency (see previous post) prior to property purchase then your property purchase will most likely be deemed illegal.

People should sucessfully acquire FN Residency first then look at property purchase but so many out there are buying first and then hoping to obtain residency.

Like i say, one has to pull in all the factors, FEMA, Immigration, FRRO, RBI because whether its property purchase or your right to be in the country in the first place, they are i believe inextricably linked.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Hi Remy,

Sorry to be late replying but I have been away.

You are correct, one can indeed be Resident iaw FEMA but not even REGISTERED with the FRRO.

In earlier times, anyone could buy a gas cylinder, but when it got expensive, some proof of identity was requested to prevent commercial organisations taking advantage of subsidised gas availability, hence the requirement for FN's to produce a LOCAL Residency Permit for a Gas Supply also for a telephone or internet connection or Bank Account.

As I said in a previous post for some purchases and transactions, one has to have a PAN Card. I believe the current level of expenditure where one has to produce a PAN Card is Rs 25k.

Again, as far as I am aware, if one stays for more than 180 days in India, that individual becomes liable to make an Indian Income Tax Return; whether Income Tax is due or not. Perhaps some of the FN's may have not looked at the Income Tax requirement.

In some some circumstances there are advantages of establishing "Residency " under FEMA (if you can) without actually registering with the FRRO, but obviously doing that means you don't have the paperwork.

As stated previously Remy, I was not giving an opinion of what MAY be required, or what MAY happen in the future or how things MAY turn out, my posts are factual and can be verified with official documentation.

I would like to stress that I am not being argumentative or confrontational, like most on this site, I am just trying to bring to light the pitfalls of trying to purchase property in India, but also showing where the "Grey and un-defined " areas are.

Any FN contemplating a purchase now needs to think very carefully, not only for the purchase requirements but also the Income Tax liability if the intention is to stay more than 180 days in a financial year.

Regards to all

John
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by John Chappell
Hi Remy,

Sorry to be late replying but I have been away.

You are correct, one can indeed be Resident iaw FEMA but not even REGISTERED with the FRRO.

In earlier times, anyone could buy a gas cylinder, but when it got expensive, some proof of identity was requested to prevent commercial organisations taking advantage of subsidised gas availability, hence the requirement for FN's to produce a LOCAL Residency Permit for a Gas Supply also for a telephone or internet connection or Bank Account.

As I said in a previous post for some purchases and transactions, one has to have a PAN Card. I believe the current level of expenditure where one has to produce a PAN Card is Rs 25k.

Again, as far as I am aware, if one stays for more than 180 days in India, that individual becomes liable to make an Indian Income Tax Return; whether Income Tax is due or not. Perhaps some of the FN's may have not looked at the Income Tax requirement.

In some some circumstances there are advantages of establishing "Residency " under FEMA (if you can) without actually registering with the FRRO, but obviously doing that means you don't have the paperwork.

As stated previously Remy, I was not giving an opinion of what MAY be required, or what MAY happen in the future or how things MAY turn out, my posts are factual and can be verified with official documentation.

I would like to stress that I am not being argumentative or confrontational, like most on this site, I am just trying to bring to light the pitfalls of trying to purchase property in India, but also showing where the "Grey and un-defined " areas are.

Any FN contemplating a purchase now needs to think very carefully, not only for the purchase requirements but also the Income Tax liability if the intention is to stay more than 180 days in a financial year.

Regards to all

John
Hi John,

I agree ,

and also like i have said and according to FEMA one needs to be a resident FN first prior to purchasing property in Goa, and that means ticking all the boxes required for FEMA residency which is a lot more than simply doing more than 182 days in the previous financial year.

I am not trying to be argumentitive either just factual and realistic.
I also stand by my pov on visas and believe that it is impossible to tick all the boxes for FEMA residency whilst being on a tourist visa.
Bearing in mind that one needs to secure Residency before purchasing immoveable property in India and not during or worst still afterwards.

I just think if we are to try and use FEMA to argue with the authorities as to what is and is'nt legal then we need to make sure we have fully complied with it to the 'letter of the law'......and the sad reality is that 99% of FNs have'nt.

Regards,
Remy
Old Oct 15th 2007, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

kcsbar is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi, we are Brits who until recently lived in Goa.

My wife and I have been reading your posts on various subjects with interest, particularly those appertaining to buying property in Goa. We are concerned that many people are buying off plan without making the provisional checks and just taking the word of the sales people and advisers involved. Good salesmen simply tell you what you want to hear.

Please don't get too carried away with choosing the furnishings and colour of the tiles in the bathroom before you have done your homework.

It is difficult (at the moment nigh impossible) to fulfill the requirements for residency / company formation / visa acquisition etc. without the additional hurdles that are involved in buying off plan. The first set of issues are dealt with on IndiaMike.com forums foreign owned property in goa and foreign owned property in goa part two.

For those who are also attempting to buy off plan please go to www.amchegoa.com , then go to real estate / goa / FAQ

Even if you manage to wade through and comprehend all of this stuff, remember this is India and the rules will invariably change depending on the day of the week, the position of the moon and person you are talking to.
How much I agree with Douglas. You sound as if you have gone through all the red tape here. I would advise any foreigner not to buy anything here in Goa. We bought 10 years ago when things were easier. Now the Goans or in particular Mr Singh of the Government does not want foreigners here and is trying everything to get them out. I wont bore you with case histories of friends here who are in limbo whether they are losing their homes or not but a couple of friends of ours bought a house off a foreigner and have done their 183 days five years ago and got 5 year residency have now been told to go and retire in their own country (Britain) as Goa doesnt want them. They had to go to Sri Lanka and get a 6 month visa so they dont know what is going to happen because the government says they are on a six month tourist visa so should not have a property.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by kcsbar
How much I agree with Douglas. You sound as if you have gone through all the red tape here. I would advise any foreigner not to buy anything here in Goa. We bought 10 years ago when things were easier. Now the Goans or in particular Mr Singh of the Government does not want foreigners here and is trying everything to get them out. I wont bore you with case histories of friends here who are in limbo whether they are losing their homes or not but a couple of friends of ours bought a house off a foreigner and have done their 183 days five years ago and got 5 year residency have now been told to go and retire in their own country (Britain) as Goa doesnt want them. They had to go to Sri Lanka and get a 6 month visa so they dont know what is going to happen because the government says they are on a six month tourist visa so should not have a property.

Hi Kcsbar,
Have they received a letter from the Directorate of Enforcement, and have any of your friends, who have had a letter been given the all clear
worried Noni
Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kcsbar
Goa could turn out to be India's first publicised 'enron'.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

It is not the mass of people -- of Goan descent orotherwise -- who are the problem. It is those who heedlesslyplunder Goa's resources -- politicians, industrialists andvarious kinds of middlemen -- and sell them to the highestbidder that are the problem. To paraphrase the speech of Dr.Oscar Rebello, the convenor of the GBA, at the massive publicrally in Panjim on December 19, 2006: "It is not non-Goanswho are the problem; it is the anti-Goans."

taken from:IN THE MIDST OF GOANS By Vidyadhar Gadgilvgadgil at gmail.com
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

delali is on a distinguished road

We've been reading this thread with mounting frustration for months. We first went to Goa 2 years ago and we've been over there about 4 times. We both enjoy the food and sunshine. We stay in budget places run by locals. We're careful about water use, get our laundry done by locals, use local taxi drivers for every trip and generally try to avoid putting money into the hands of the 'big boys'. We have met some very pleasant people - both Goan and tourist.

Our purchase of an off-plan flat in Varca was preceded by visits to 2 different independent lawyers who both advocated the 'company formation' route. Neither of them mentioned FEMA, residency conditions, permissions to buy etc. We proceeded with the builder, transferring money bank-to-bank, hid nothing and kept all receipts. We have visited the site to monitor progress and the builder has dealt with us in a very straight-forward manner at all times.

Now we are sure that it will all come to nothing.

We MAY get a 5 year lease but the visa situation is getting harder all the time - last time we had to queue from 3am in Birmingham, and that was our second attempt after a 3 hour wasted trip a week earlier. Our original intention was to overwinter in Goa each year - we didn't even buy with the intention of making a capital gain. Now we'll probably just use the flat for as long as we can and chalk it up to experience.

Many Goans have told us that they resent behaviour such as the topless sunbathing and public drunkeness - but that could be reduced if they enforced their own laws consistently. Many westerners don't like these behaviours either. Cracking down on (and even throwing out) people who genuinely love the country and who are willing to invest in it seems mad to us.

The problems getting tourist visas for the last-minute 'fly & flop' type of holiday which was what got us out to Goa in the first place will also affect tourist numbers, which might be what Goans want in the short term - but they'll miss our money.

Over the years we've lost more on cars than on this flat, but we wish we'd just stuck with renting - then we'd have the option of avoiding Goa altogether and letting the politicians see how short-sighted and ruinous their current policy will be.

We agree with the comments of others here, that swathes of confiscations and a dearth of new buyers and tourists would have a drastic effect on the local economy, so that is our only glimmer of light for the future - but we're not holding our breath.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by delali
We've been reading this thread with mounting frustration for months. We first went to Goa 2 years ago and we've been over there about 4 times. We both enjoy the food and sunshine. We stay in budget places run by locals. We're careful about water use, get our laundry done by locals, use local taxi drivers for every trip and generally try to avoid putting money into the hands of the 'big boys'. We have met some very pleasant people - both Goan and tourist.

Our purchase of an off-plan flat in Varca was preceded by visits to 2 different independent lawyers who both advocated the 'company formation' route. Neither of them mentioned FEMA, residency conditions, permissions to buy etc. We proceeded with the builder, transferring money bank-to-bank, hid nothing and kept all receipts. We have visited the site to monitor progress and the builder has dealt with us in a very straight-forward manner at all times.

We MAY get a 5 year lease but the visa situation is getting harder all the time - last time we had to queue from 3am in Birmingham, and that was our second attempt after a 3 hour wasted trip a week earlier. Our original intention was to overwinter in Goa each year - we didn't even buy with the intention of making a capital gain. Now we'll probably just use the flat for as long as we can and chalk it up to experience.

Many Goans have told us that they resent behaviour such as the topless sunbathing and public drunkeness - but that could be reduced if they enforced their own laws consistently. Many westerners don't like these behaviours either. Cracking down on (and even throwing out) people who genuinely love the country and who are willing to invest in it seems mad to us.

The problems getting tourist visas for the last-minute 'fly & flop' type of holiday which was what got us out to Goa in the first place will also affect tourist numbers, which might be what Goans want in the short term - but they'll miss our money.

Over the years we've lost more on cars than on this flat, but we wish we'd just stuck with renting - then we'd have the option of avoiding Goa altogether and letting the politicians see how short-sighted and ruinous their current policy will be.

We agree with the comments of others here, that swathes of confiscations and a dearth of new buyers and tourists would have a drastic effect on the local economy, so that is our only glimmer of light for the future - but we're not holding our breath.
Welcome to the site, and thanks for your contribution.
We know exactly how you feel.
Good luck with your purchase.
Noni
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi There,
and a very warm welcome aboard.
It is a very unfortunate series of events indeed.
What i find very alarming is the part in your post that i highlighted in red and this is indeed where a good part of the blame should be portioned.

By the way.....London HCI are accepting postal visa applications again from the 5th November......this should at least do away with the overnight queing fiasco.

Keep us updated as to how things unfold for you and your more than welcome to join us all for the Christmas Bash in Goa on Dec 14th....if your in Goa at this time.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

delali is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi There,
and a very warm welcome aboard.
It is a very unfortunate series of events indeed.
What i find very alarming is the part in your post that i highlighted in red and this is indeed where a good part of the blame should be portioned.

By the way.....London HCI are accepting postal visa applications again from the 5th November......this should at least do away with the overnight queing fiasco.

Keep us updated as to how things unfold for you and your more than welcome to join us all for the Christmas Bash in Goa on Dec 14th....if your in Goa at this time.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Thankyou for your welcome and your comments. We'll be in Goa in the new year hopefully, so we'll miss the bash - maybe next year! We're off travelling in our campervan tomorrow for a couple of months so we'll look in on the site again on our return. Meanwhile, we hope you all have a lovely time at the bash and over xmas.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thankyou for your welcome and your comments. We'll be in Goa in the new year hopefully, so we'll miss the bash - maybe next year! We're off travelling in our campervan tomorrow for a couple of months so we'll look in on the site again on our return. Meanwhile, we hope you all have a lovely time at the bash and over xmas.

Campervan tomorrow for a couple of months....sounds Fab!
Wow, a real adventure in the making.
Take care of yourselves and pop in from time to time to let us know how your getting on.

Regards,
Remy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.