GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by Deanb
Hi Andy thanks for your prompt reply, do you know if we can just transfer it and not actually sell it as such? We did only have an Agreement and not a deed of sale like you say. Our problem is lack of time to do this. We were just hoping to transfer and not sell until a later date as we are trying to avoid our Indian friends paying any further bills? Our builder has only said it needs to be transferred, or is this just another scam to get £1500 out of us?
Many thanks
Dean
To 'transfer it into your name' you would have to draw up a Deed of Sale (and pay Stamp Duty & Registration Fees on the current value) and Register it - BUT unless you are Indian or Indian origin the Registrar will refuse to register your deeds (read this thread), so you wouldn't be able to sell it either, and are liable to investigation by the notorious Department of Enforcement.
You can't technically sell it now either, because you don't own it - but you can transfer the Agreement e.g. to an Indian buyer as I described above. If your builder is prepared to do that for £1500 then that is very much at the bottom end of the going rate.
Those are really your only options - get your Deeds and a load of trouble or assign your AforS (which is pretty much like selling the apartment).

ching! (_)? (_)? AndyD
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:41 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dean

Welcome to BE - you are certainly not alone in this type of situation, except that you seem to be on a time limit.
I have sent you a pm

Dread - x
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:10 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

CONFISCATION ORDER ON PROPERTY

This morning I have been shown a copy and I can confirm that the DoE has issued a confiascation order together with a fine of 1 lakh rupees against an elderly British woman who has a flat in North Goa. Dated Dec 2012 - Panjim ED.
The ED have based the order on alleging that she is not a resident because she did not intend to stay in India for an indefinite period.

I am told that the lady is taking the matter to appeal, but this has meant paying the fine then 5000 rupees appeal fee.
Really hope she is successful.

Dread - x
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dreadsoc

This morning I have been shown a copy and I can confirm that the DoE has issued a confiascation order together with a fine of 1 lakh rupees against an elderly British woman who has a flat in North Goa. Dated Dec 2012 - Panjim ED.
The ED have based the order on alleging that she is not a resident because she did not intend to stay in India for an indefinite period.

I am told that the lady is taking the matter to appeal, but this has meant paying the fine then 5000 rupees appeal fee.

Dread - x
Well done her.
Any chance you can get a copy of the Order (name blanked out if necessary)?

AndyD 8-)
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Jacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant futureJacksie has a brilliant future

I am so sorry to hear this, what a nightmare for the lady involved.Our solicitor told us that if you get one of these letters the fine can be up to 5 lacs, and the appeal is supposed to be held in Mumbai. He also advised us that the appeal court would take another 5 lac as security. I am not sure how true this is, but it all sounds really costly. I do not understand how this allegation works how can they say that she ( or any of us) did not intend to stay in India for an indefinite period. All of us have end dates on our visas, circumstances also chance over the years. Worrying for us all isn't it?

Dread - x
Old Feb 15th 2013, 3:18 am
Just Joined

federicoPa is an unknown quantity at this point

Dread - x

Hi dread,

the allegation that the lady "did not intend to stay in India for an indefinite period" seems to be very weak and difficult to claim in a court, hopefully.

Do you know if there was some other particular problem connected to this case ?

Bye

federico
Old Feb 16th 2013, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by federicoPa
Hi dread,

the allegation that the lady "did not intend to stay in India for an indefinite period" seems to be very weak and difficult to claim in a court, hopefully.

Do you know if there was some other particular problem connected to this case ?

Bye

federico
No - the reason given for confiscation was that her circumstances did not amount to "an untention to stay in India for an uncertain period

And I agree this is weak and her appeal has some strong grounds

Dread - x
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

afaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant future

Panels formed to process applications under FEMA

16 Feb. Herald. The Government has constituted committees in both districts to process the pending and future applications by foreigners, PIOs or OCIs for purchase or sale of property, as all of them come under FEMA 1999… According to FEMA, a foreigner can buy land in India only if he has a business visa and lived in the country for 182 days at a stretch in the previous financial year. Data shows that nearly 500 foreigners, mostly British and Russians, bought property in Goa and with most floating companies with locals… 222 words. Full Text

http://www.epaperoheraldo.in/Details...&dat=2/16/2013
Old Feb 17th 2013, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

More evidence for the argument "Don't buy - rent !"
Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:50 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
More evidence for the argument "Don't buy - rent !"
Look Scot, I think everyone following this forum fully realises that it is extremely stupid to now buy property in Goa, or India in general.

The problems described on here are being experienced by people who bought several years ago before rules were changed with retrospective effect, in addition to the Goa government also introducing actions without any legal backing.

Personally, I rented for over 15 years, and obviously am very glad I did.

A point that has not been made on this subject is that, with rampant construction without any regulation, the ability to move house with ease can be invaluable.

Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by afaiknow
Panels formed to process applications under FEMA

16 Feb. Herald. The Government has constituted committees in both districts to process the pending and future applications by foreigners, PIOs or OCIs for purchase or sale of property, as all of them come under FEMA 1999… According to FEMA, a foreigner can buy land in India only if he has a business visa and lived in the country for 182 days at a stretch in the previous financial year. Data shows that nearly 500 foreigners, mostly British and Russians, bought property in Goa and with most floating companies with locals… 222 words. Full Text

http://www.epaperoheraldo.in/Details...&dat=2/16/2013
How come your quote combines two different newspaper articles?

Your link has the correct wording of the most recent article.
No-one yet knows what this means, but it may be a positive move.

AndyD
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Look Johnny

I am afraid that I do not have the same confidence as you in the wisdom of the great British public.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:08 am
Just Joined

federicoPa is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Andy, it may be a positive move.

At present they only say "NO".

In the future, if they will say "NO", they should also explain "WHY".

federico
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Jessica is an unknown quantity at this point

Any hope that the British Consul will be briefing/updating Cameron re our property issues on his current 'goodwill' visit to India? And that he will make some bargaining points to mutual advantage?
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jessica
Any hope that the British Consul will be briefing/updating Cameron re our property issues on his current 'goodwill' visit to India? And that he will make some bargaining points to mutual advantage?
What do you bet it's not even on the agenda?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.