British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Goa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/)
-   -   In To-day's Newspapers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/days-newspapers-558924/)

enfield951 Oct 29th 2008 9:32 am

Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Always had lots of time for Richard Littlejohn,he tells it like it is !
Surprised that he didn't mention the obsene ammounts of money paid to cricketers, and given as prize money in the IPL.
I think somebody is goimg like this to us:p:p

johnny five Oct 29th 2008 10:32 am

Originally Posted by poppetjay (Post 6920377)
In The Herald "Letter of the Day" (sorry cant copy and paste) a guy is harping on about his people had to suffer boards with "dogs and no indians allowed outside bars/rests when the british ruled.
And some places in England are just as dirty as a dump in Mumbai.
goans owning property in the UK, if our country allows outsiders to buy we should ask the government to change the rules, as they have rules here and we the british have flouted them, thats why there is now public outcry blah!blah! Blah!!
And lastly the drug trade started due to the hippies and brits and has polluted goa's youth and society.
He does agree that many goans depend on tourism but not the brits that come here on holiday are not all of proper background and do not do much to help tourism, though maybe they help the drug trade and cigarette industry, he forget about AA.

Change your own society!
Rohit Rebelo,
With reference to Richard Cregan’s letter titled ‘Brits will leave Goa’ in Herald (27 Oct), he needs to note that he may have been referred to as a ‘dreg’ for a short while. But before pointing a finger at us for insulting him, he needs to remember that when the British ruled India, my people had to suffer boards that read ‘Dogs and Indians not allowed’ outside restaurants and bars – that too in India, which is our own country!
Secondly, with respect to littering public places, when I visited Twickenham in London a few years ago, I personally helped clean up a river of trash left behind by spectators who had just headed to the stadium close to my uncle’s house to watch a rugby game. There are areas in England that are just as dirty as a dump in Mumbai, leave alone Goa.
Thirdly, with regard to Goans owning property in the UK, if your country allows outsiders such benefits, then it is your business to ask your government to change the rules. In India, we have rules and clearances that must be obtained before a foreigner purchases property. These rules have been flouted by many foreigners, and hence if due to public outcry our government wants to rectify such errors, we will only support it in doing so.
Finally, with regard to corruption, we are doing a lot to change the situation for the better. With the current politicians well entrenched in their seats it will take time to achieve our goals, but we will get there.
Earlier Goa hardly saw a rape case, but recently such rapes have taken place due to inflow of foreigners who come to our society (which has a conservative nature) in skimpy clothing and walk around in our markets and lie topless on our beaches sunbathing. Learn to respect the place you come to. Furthermore, the drug trade started due to hippies and Brits and has only polluted our youth and society. Fiona Mackeown, the mother of Scarlet Keeling, was no model of propriety.
I definitely agree that many Goans depend on tourism, but the Brits who come here on holiday are not all of proper background and do not do much to help tourism in Goa, though maybe they help the drug trade and cigarette industry.
Brits are welcome to holiday in Goa, but they should please keep their opinions to themselves and let us look after our own society, while they try their best to change their own society for the better.

Hope this is of interest, I think this might be Milwarts educated brother?:eek:

Vagatorian Oct 29th 2008 11:15 am

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King or so they say :ohmy:

johnny five Oct 29th 2008 11:43 am

Would that be the one-eye think you mean?

"Siolim-mer than when I got here":blink::blink:

berkshire1987 Oct 29th 2008 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by johnny five (Post 6921205)
Change your own society!
Rohit Rebelo,
With reference to Richard Cregan’s letter titled ‘Brits will leave Goa’ in Herald (27 Oct), he needs to note that he may have been referred to as a ‘dreg’ for a short while. But before pointing a finger at us for insulting him, he needs to remember that when the British ruled India, my people had to suffer boards that read ‘Dogs and Indians not allowed’ outside restaurants and bars – that too in India, which is our own country!
Secondly, with respect to littering public places, when I visited Twickenham in London a few years ago, I personally helped clean up a river of trash left behind by spectators who had just headed to the stadium close to my uncle’s house to watch a rugby game. There are areas in England that are just as dirty as a dump in Mumbai, leave alone Goa.
Thirdly, with regard to Goans owning property in the UK, if your country allows outsiders such benefits, then it is your business to ask your government to change the rules. In India, we have rules and clearances that must be obtained before a foreigner purchases property. These rules have been flouted by many foreigners, and hence if due to public outcry our government wants to rectify such errors, we will only support it in doing so.
Finally, with regard to corruption, we are doing a lot to change the situation for the better. With the current politicians well entrenched in their seats it will take time to achieve our goals, but we will get there.
Earlier Goa hardly saw a rape case, but recently such rapes have taken place due to inflow of foreigners who come to our society (which has a conservative nature) in skimpy clothing and walk around in our markets and lie topless on our beaches sunbathing. Learn to respect the place you come to. Furthermore, the drug trade started due to hippies and Brits and has only polluted our youth and society. Fiona Mackeown, the mother of Scarlet Keeling, was no model of propriety.
I definitely agree that many Goans depend on tourism, but the Brits who come here on holiday are not all of proper background and do not do much to help tourism in Goa, though maybe they help the drug trade and cigarette industry.
Brits are welcome to holiday in Goa, but they should please keep their opinions to themselves and let us look after our own society, while they try their best to change their own society for the better.

Hope this is of interest, I think this might be Milwarts educated brother?:eek:

Oh please.....at least Mumbai has garbage dumps....Goa just dumps it on the road and does nothing about it. It is not comparable to Twickenham!

And of course when the going gets tough bring up the old 'British control' history. That has all changed now. So what has changed about Goa....more rubbish on the roads!

Vagatorian Oct 29th 2008 1:31 pm

Some folk really are pathetic in their arguments aren`t they :zzz:

And would that be his Goan uncles home bought in England, pitty we can`t afford the same luxuries isn`t it ?

And for good measure Twickenham is in Middlesex not London :)

johnny five Oct 29th 2008 1:48 pm

Maybe I didnt make it clear?

This was a letter in todays "Herald" referred to in an earlier post, not my views!

The only bit that was mine was the "Milwart" bit at the end and you all know I cant resist a "Milwart" bit............................:blink::blink::blin k::blink::blink:

berkshire1987 Oct 29th 2008 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by johnny five (Post 6921721)
Maybe I didnt make it clear?

This was a letter in todays "Herald" referred to in an earlier post, not my views!

The only bit that was mine was the "Milwart" bit at the end and you all know I cant resist a "Milwart" bit............................:blink::blink::blin k::blink::blink:

We know this is not your view but Rebelo's. He has tried to defend everything that was brought up in the 'Brits will leave Goa' letter.

johnny five Oct 29th 2008 1:54 pm

my people had to suffer boards that read ‘Dogs and Indians not allowed’ outside restaurants and bars – that too in India, which is our own country!
Clearly not my views, I am very fond of dogs and would never dream of treating them this way......................:blink::blink::blink:

Vagatorian Oct 29th 2008 1:55 pm

Sorry for the confusion Johnny :thumbup:

Goacrazy56 Oct 29th 2008 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Vagatorian (Post 6921673)
Some folk really are pathetic in their arguments aren`t they :zzz:

And would that be his Goan uncles home bought in England, pitty we can`t afford the same luxuries isn`t it ?

And for good measure Twickenham is in Middlesex not London :)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I don't think this bloke has ever been to England,they really make me laugh, this is all they have as a defence to bring up old history of when India was a British colony. Who built the railway systems for them in Indian and left them with an infractructure and a legal system which they have managed to corupt and turn rotten.If it was'nt for the Brits they would have been as backward has some of the tribes in deepest Africa still are.
Give me the money I have ploughed into Goa and I will leave and never return.Im getting as if I hate the place im not looking forward to returning,Im sick of the racist remarks and the "we want your money Brits but not you attitude" Everytime I hear the word Goa the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end it makes me so angry
Goacrazy56:curse::curse::curse:

johnny five Oct 29th 2008 2:10 pm

Just to make you all jealous...............

Johnny Five is coming home to the UK for three weeks :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The bad news is, its a six month sentence after that :frown::frown::frown:

Promise that if access to broadband pans out as promised
(breaking in to the students next door to me dad's wi-fi - Goan morals rule!) Milwart will not get a moments peace :eek::eek::eek::eek:

berkshire1987 Oct 29th 2008 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Goacrazy56 (Post 6921762)
I don't think this bloke has ever been to England,they really make me laugh, this is all they have as a defence to bring up old history of when India was a British colony. Who built the railway systems for them in Indian and left them with an infractructure and a legal system which they have managed to corupt and turn rotten.If it was'nt for the Brits they would have been as backward has some of the tribes in deepest Africa still are.
Give me the money I have ploughed into Goa and I will leave and never return.Im getting as if I hate the place im not looking forward to returning,Im sick of the racist remarks and the "we want your money Brits but not you attitude" Everytime I hear the word Goa the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end it makes me so angry

Indeed......very true....we also left this red tape nonsense though lol but still they have corrupted it all!

I wonder what M***er F***er Milward has to say on this!!!

noni Oct 29th 2008 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Goacrazy56 (Post 6921762)

Don't be despondent - I felt exactly the same as you - we have built up such an image in our minds due to the 'property problem' and greediness of some. Must say all neighbours and friends have given us a wonderful welcome (still on my guard) but it is lovely over here at the moment, the sun is out the sky is blue - no cold and snow.

No topless on the beach yet, but plenty of willies on display on the roadside
in our country that would be indecent exposure.

All is all it has grown on me once again!

Keep :) Goacrazy :wub: Noni

p.s. perhaps the 'noffi helps

berkshire1987 Oct 29th 2008 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by noni (Post 6921821)
Don't be despondent - I felt exactly the same as you - we have built up such an image in our minds due to the 'property problem' and greediness of some. Must say all neighbours and friends have given us a wonderful welcome (still on my guard) but it is lovely over here at the moment, the sun is out the sky is blue - no cold and snow.

No topless on the beach yet, but plenty of willies on display on the roadside
in our country that would be indecent exposure.

All is all it has grown on me once again!

Keep :) Goacrazy :wub: Noni

p.s. perhaps the 'noffi helps

Do you think that for the FN's who write to the Herald they give their names to the embassy to stop them getting in to India. If it is a letter that disagrees with them or may offend them. I have seen this attitude in words but I wonder if they'd act on it?