British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Goa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/)
-   -   In To-day's Newspapers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/days-newspapers-558924/)

John Katrina Oct 20th 2008 8:11 pm

Re: In To-day's Newspapers

hemmingway - i have tried to link onto the page you suggest but the page is not displayed and i hve tried going into the paper for that date but dont know what i am looking for really. cant you just give us an idea of what i said?

thanks

kat:D

a_f_d Oct 21st 2008 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Honey Bee (Post 6892781)
Shattering! suppose we are all getting older. 20 years ago we would have been on the beach the same day. Never mind have six months to catch up.
Computer so slow, not like the traffic on the roads. Wondering why Kingfisher has gone up so much 65 75 80 , wholesale the same price? Oh just have another Honey Bee, and good night.

yes, 'wholesale' Kingfisher up to Rs. 420 a case from Rs. 400 earlier this year. Still Rs. 65 at Fisherman's iirc.

AndyD 8-)#

hemingway Oct 21st 2008 6:15 am

Originally Posted by John Katrina (Post 6893463)
hemmingway - i have tried to link onto the page you suggest but the page is not displayed and i hve tried going into the paper for that date but dont know what i am looking for really. cant you just give us an idea of what i said? thanks kat:D

The article has now been archived - it's old news in daily newspaper terms - try this link:

http://www.asianage.com/archive/html....%2031%20.html

If the link doesn't work, visit www.asianage.com & go to the archives section, key in 'Goa terror' & click on the 1st article on that page.

Hemingway

P.S. - I'm only posting this reply in the hope that I p**s off 'Sid Melbourne' (aka London Tom) again! :rofl: :thumbsup: :rofl: :thumbsup: All you trolls - GET A LIFE!

John Katrina Oct 21st 2008 9:24 am

terrorism - the ira got away with it and now look at them!

thanks for the link got it in one. bad news.

:thumbdown:
kat

old man Oct 21st 2008 11:18 am

Originally Posted by a_f_d (Post 6894598)
yes, 'wholesale' Kingfisher up to Rs. 420 a case from Rs. 400 earlier this year. Still Rs. 65 at Fisherman's iirc.

AndyD 8-)#

:thumbup:

We just paid 400 rupees for our case

Just feel some of the places are putting to much profit on already, but they will soon find out that people will vote with their feet. Because most people look at the price of Kingfisher first, have notice it is missing (for the moment) on a few menu's.

Anyway if that was all we had to moan about in this current volatile climate, be happy and have another Kingfisher even at 80 rups.:blink:

old man Oct 21st 2008 11:22 am

Originally Posted by hemingway (Post 6894714)
The article has now been archived - it's old news in daily newspaper terms - try this link:

http://www.asianage.com/archive/html....%2031%20.html

If the link doesn't work, visit www.asianage.com & go to the archives section, key in 'Goa terror' & click on the 1st article on that page.

Hemingway

P.S. - I'm only posting this reply in the hope that I p**s off 'Sid Melbourne' (aka London Tom) again! :rofl: :thumbsup: :rofl: :thumbsup: All you trolls - GET A LIFE!

I notice our Goan members are very quiet about yesterdays violent new.
Perhaps it is because they cannot point the finger of blame at us FNs

John Katrina Oct 21st 2008 2:32 pm

i still havent seen what violence happened yesterday.

the goan members are probably horrified and in shock as the usa was after 911 and we were after the bombings in london, as we are currenty with all the knife crime happening here.

kat :thumbdown:

John Katrina Oct 21st 2008 3:51 pm

i have just found the newspaper article on what happened. it must be terrible for any of you that are out there and living out there.

old man - you should be ashamed of yourself scoring points over something like this.

kat

Return of Santan Oct 22nd 2008 8:32 am

GREAT NEWS !:eek:

According to this report in the T.O.I we actually OWN our apartments in Goa !:thumbsup:

I'm gonna breakout the Honeybee and play some music ( possibly Paul Mccartiji " Bandh On The Run ":rofl:) to celebrate !!:thumbsup:

22 Oct: Times of India. The ripples of the global economic slowdown have hit Goan shores, dampening the Diwali (27 Oct.) spirit … sales have fallen by over 50%... the low tourist inflow could be one of the factors behind this …“Nearly 10% of our buyers during this period last year were NRIs or foreigners. Many NRIs and foreigners own apartments in Goa and furnish them when holidaying in the state.” 407 words.
more details..

old man Oct 22nd 2008 9:10 am

Originally Posted by John Katrina (Post 6896268)
i have just found the newspaper article on what happened. it must be terrible for any of you that are out there and living out there.

old man - you should be ashamed of yourself scoring points over something like this.

kat

Sorry Kat if you took offence, it was not meant to score points. But I am sick to death of some of the so called Indian community on this site being so self righteous, and putting the world to right I was interested in their opinions but as you can see they have been extremely quiet.

Yes I am in Goa. Everything in the North was shut, Newtons had the shutters down and had police guards on the door. Police cars, vans, bikes and police on foot were in evidence all day. The roads were eerily quiet. Having many true Goan friends in the villages I truly feel for them.

The changes since the early 90's are unbelievable. Even three years ago things were so much more relaxed, I sat having coffee this morning 'people watching' and it was very evident that the local Goans were happier with FN's that out of state visitors. They were viewing them with suspicion.

John Katrina Oct 22nd 2008 9:34 am

hi, well your comments did come over as a bit harsh. still lets move on.

the climate of fear to a certain extent is everywhere re terrorism. we are a bit immune due to the northern ireland situation for decades.

i didnt understand what caused the situation or who was behind it? any more on the spot info?

Perhaps the goans and the powers that be might realise that if they dont keep a tight lid on the drugs/protection/human trafficking situation with the foreigners (not the british!!) than this sort of thing might become the norm with them all fighting for their slice!!

all you have to do is look at the states and then what happens in the uk soon after and it wont take long for it to happen worldwide unfortunately with the media spreading it. look at the hoodie culture.

so law abiding people like ourselves pay the price whatever happens.

kat

Honey Bee Oct 22nd 2008 11:04 am

Originally Posted by John Katrina (Post 6898785)
hi, well your comments did come over as a bit harsh. still lets move on.

the climate of fear to a certain extent is everywhere re terrorism. we are a bit immune due to the northern ireland situation for decades.

i didnt understand what caused the situation or who was behind it? any more on the spot info?

Perhaps the goans and the powers that be might realise that if they dont keep a tight lid on the drugs/protection/human trafficking situation with the foreigners (not the british!!) than this sort of thing might become the norm with them all fighting for their slice!!

all you have to do is look at the states and then what happens in the uk soon after and it wont take long for it to happen worldwide unfortunately with the media spreading it. look at the hoodie culture.

so law abiding people like ourselves pay the price whatever happens.

kat

Kat is click on to http://www.goanvoice.org.uk you will get a summary of what is going on out here, Goanvoice also then lead you to the articles in the various goan newspapers. An excellent source of information.

John Katrina Oct 22nd 2008 11:08 am

thanks, it seems that whenever i look at the papers i never find anything.

i will look now thanks again.

kat:D

johnny five Oct 22nd 2008 11:09 am

Kat
There is a thread on this site with full details on the strike. It should be obvious which contributors are "on the spot" and which ones are sat in their UK armchairs theorizing!
Alternatively read the internet papers for Monday and Tuesday.

John Katrina Oct 22nd 2008 11:23 am

johnny five - thanks there are so many threads going on, ive recently been referring to the bangalore & majahudine threat to the beaches of goa problems, will look up the papers for the strike.

it just gets better and better!! :(

when you say internet papers, do you mean the papers that appear on the internet or it is it something else? dont forget im only a couple of days in on the britishexpats.com stuff. i am to speed with the goanvoice and tehalka.

thanks to everyone for being so helpful, im not the best ology person and finding my way around this mega world within a world.

kat :D