British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Goa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/)
-   -   In To-day's Newspapers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/days-newspapers-558924/)

johnny five Dec 2nd 2009 7:51 pm

Re: In To-day's Newspapers

On 3 December, it will be the 25th anniversary of the worst ever industrial disaster the world has ever seen. The Bhopal gas tragedy which occurred in 1984 left 25,000 dead on the first day itself. About 8,000 to 10,000 more were killed within three days.
The leakage of the Methyl Isocyanate gas from the the Union Carbide plant had a terrible effect on human beings, animals and plants. For the past 25 years, people have suffered from respiratory, kidney and eye problems.
Around 100,000 people living near the Union Carbide factory are still chronically ill, while 30,000 live in areas with contaminated water. The tragedy brought about congenital defects in children, still births, miscarriages, hormonal defects and fertility disorders. These are still seen 25 years on, as a result of ground water pollution.
But the central and state governments have done precious little to alleviate the suffering of the unfortunate victims, who have had to suffer for no faults of theirs. This in spite of the massive payouts secured from Union Carbide.
The disaster arose directly as a result of the Indian government insisting that foreign management be immediately replaced by Indian staff. It will come as no surprise that this resulted in negligible maintenance and non-existent safety procedures.

And this is the Government that we hope to obtain fair treatment from......................

If you are wondering why I feel so strongly about this try reading

Five Past Midnight in Bhopal
by Dominique Lapierre (Author),

and see how you feel about it afterwards. It is not a stuffy book, it is vividly written and a compelling book.

hemingway Dec 2nd 2009 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by johnny five (Post 8142088)
On 3 December, it will be the 25th anniversary of the worst ever industrial disaster the world has ever seen. The Bhopal gas tragedy which occurred in 1984 left 25,000 dead on the first day itself. About 8,000 to 10,000 more were killed within three days.
The leakage of the Methyl Isocyanate gas from the the Union Carbide plant had a terrible effect on human beings, animals and plants. For the past 25 years, people have suffered from respiratory, kidney and eye problems.
Around 100,000 people living near the Union Carbide factory are still chronically ill, while 30,000 live in areas with contaminated water. The tragedy brought about congenital defects in children, still births, miscarriages, hormonal defects and fertility disorders. These are still seen 25 years on, as a result of ground water pollution.
But the central and state governments have done precious little to alleviate the suffering of the unfortunate victims, who have had to suffer for no faults of theirs. This in spite of the massive payouts secured from Union Carbide.
The disaster arose directly as a result of the Indian government insisting that foreign management be immediately replaced by Indian staff. It will come as no surprise that this resulted in negligible maintenance and non-existent safety procedures.

And this is the Government that we hope to obtain fair treatment from......................

If you are wondering why I feel so strongly about this try reading

Five Past Midnight in Bhopal
by Dominique Lapierre (Author),

and see how you feel about it afterwards. It is not a stuffy book, it is vividly written and a compelling book.

Allegedly the families of victims who died at the time of the incident received a pittance in terms of compensation at around £700 each.

Water for drinking is still 'tankered' or transported by pipeline into the area, but some people use ground/well/pumped water which when tested was found to contain one thousand times the World Health Organisation recommended levels of Carbon Tetra Chloride which is responsible for liver & kidney problems.

Personally I'd suspect that the Bhopal disaster was caused by a 1st world country's conglomerate doing exactly as it pleased in a 3rd world country with no regard for the consequences - but maybe that's just me being cynical. . . . . . . . . . . .

H.

johnny five Dec 2nd 2009 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by hemingway (Post 8142208)
Allegedly the families of victims who died at the time of the incident received a pittance in terms of compensation at around £700 each.

Water for drinking is still 'tankered' or transported by pipeline into the area, but some people use ground/well/pumped water which when tested was found to contain one thousand times the World Health Organisation recommended levels of Carbon Tetra Chloride which is responsible for liver & kidney problems.

Personally I'd suspect that the Bhopal disaster was caused by a 1st world country's conglomerate doing exactly as it pleased in a 3rd world country with no regard for the consequences - but maybe that's just me being cynical. . . . . . . . . . . .

H.

Read the book Hem, its enlightening. Yes I had always believed the Yanks to be at fault, and theres some interesting facts about their operations in the USA, almost unbelievable actually. But read the book and see who you think should be held directly responsible for what happened to these people and their mistreatment since.

wheatsheaf Dec 2nd 2009 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by johnny five (Post 8142279)
Read the book Hem, its enlightening. Yes I had always believed the Yanks to be at fault, and theres some interesting facts about their operations in the USA, almost unbelievable actually. But read the book and see who you think should be held directly responsible for what happened to these people and their mistreatment since.

So, in Bhopal it took a disaster to contaminate water wells and the environment. What credible excuse does Goa have, especially as it is India's wealthiest State, with huge revenues from tourism and mining, plus a local population with a high literacy rate?. And why do FNs have to be the voice of sense?

hemingway Dec 3rd 2009 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by johnny five (Post 8142279)
Read the book Hem, its enlightening.

I will - £2.69 brand new with free P&P from Ebay - other internet auction sites are available. . . . . . . . . . .

H.

Lewis Belworth Dec 3rd 2009 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by hemingway (Post 8144725)
I will - £2.69 brand new with free P&P from Ebay - other internet auction sites are available. . . . . . . . . . .

H.

I paid for the book last night, a little more on Amazon, ready for Goa in two weeks, whether it arrives or not, is another thing! Thanks for the recommendation J5

johnny five Dec 3rd 2009 11:44 pm

Thank you both. Hope you get as much from it as I did.

prestonjohn Dec 4th 2009 10:20 am

There is a documentary out on the net if any one is interested. " Bhopal. The search for justice." you can download from Isohunt or btorrent. Its free to air so no copy write problems. put Bhopal and torrent into your search engine. There is also another film about the station master in Bhopal who saved hundreds of passengers by stopping a train before it drove into the gas.Think it was an Indian film. Something Express....? Cant remember the exact title. Union Carbide got away with Murder and there is still a warrant out for the chief executive who is in the USA. The money that UC paid to the Indian government as compensation, some where around 350 million dollars , i think .the money was swallowed by Delhi and Madya Pradesh politicians. The survivors got around £300 each-some waited over 20 years to get it....!Go to todays Guardian web site to read about it. Its 25 years since it happened. You would think the citizens of Bhopal would be up in arms about the blatant corruption around the distribution of the compensation, but it mostly affected the poor and it was the middle classes in Bhopal who benefitted and grabbed the lions share. Happens all the time in India.Time and time again.Like the land grab in Goa.

Daff Dec 4th 2009 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by prestonjohn (Post 8145879)
Like the land grab in Goa.

...and potentially the land grab in the UK from the EU!!:eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-homeless.html

Is everyone out to take everything away from law abiding Brits who fought for their country and worked to build a life for them and their family :banghead:

prestonjohn Dec 4th 2009 4:47 pm

Think i will join you. Any room for my head against the wall too ?:eek:

Goacrazy56 Dec 4th 2009 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Daff (Post 8146051)
...and potentially the land grab in the UK from the EU!!:eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-homeless.html

Is everyone out to take everything away from law abiding Brits who fought for their country and worked to build a life for them and their family :banghead:

Scandalous,:curse::banghead:

Lewis Belworth Dec 4th 2009 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by johnny five (Post 8145038)
Thank you both. Hope you get as much from it as I did.

Incidentally, the author of Five to Midnight in Bhopal, Dominique Lapierre tried a glass of the water 18 years after!

"I wanted to reckon the aggressiveness of this pollution by drinking half a glass of the water of one of those wells. My mouth, my throat, my tongue instantly got on fire, while my arms and legs suffered an immediate skin rash. This was the simple manifestation of what men, women and children have to endure daily, some eighteen years after the tragedy". A quote from the Amnesty International website.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-u...stice-20091030

Thanks J5

Lewis

Daff Dec 5th 2009 10:49 am

Originally Posted by prestonjohn (Post 8146705)
Think i will join you. Any room for my head against the wall too ?:eek:

Please feel free to join the wall. When oh when is someone in authority going to stand up for the battered indigenous Brits. Is there any where on this planet where we are not seen as an open bank and a very soft touch.

Daff - President of the Head Bangers Society :banghead::banghead:

Goacrazy56 Dec 5th 2009 1:42 pm

Daff - President of the Head Bangers Society :banghead::banghead:[/QUOTE]

Go Daff,Go Daff,
I'm joining you:banghead::curse:the peepers are getting to me

dreadsoc Dec 6th 2009 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Daff (Post 8148323)
Please feel free to join the wall. When oh when is someone in authority going to stand up for the battered indigenous Brits. Is there any where on this planet where we are not seen as an open bank and a very soft touch.

Daff - President of the Head Bangers Society :banghead::banghead:

:banghead: OUCH that hurt ! I think I'll just pull my hair out instead !! :scaredhair:

Dread - ful'ly bald ! :)
x