British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Goa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/)
-   -   In To-day's Newspapers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/days-newspapers-558924/)

noni Jan 17th 2011 2:33 pm

Re: In To-day's Newspapers

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/sp...urist/734270/0.

johnny five Jan 17th 2011 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by noni (Post 9109400)

See post#3147 :confused::confused:

iain492001 Jan 18th 2011 1:20 pm

Translation of an article in a German newspaper (courtesy of GoaNet News) :-

*Goa** of former days is no longer:** dishonoured**, betrayed, sold out *

The leading national German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ)
reports about the situation in Goa 40 years after the beginning of the
Hippie Culture in Goa. Goa of that days is no longer, writes the FAZ, asking
who destroyed the paradise.

In the seventies life in Goa was easy, cheap and colourful: cosy and
warm-hearted amongst beautiful people.

But now the former garden of Eden of the hippies is burning, has
been dishonoured, betrayed, sold out, says FAZ. Along the famous Goa beach you feel like being at "Ballermann" (German denomination for an infamous entertainment mile in Majorca, Spain, with very loud music, sex and alcohol) after an earthquake : footpaths in the streets do not exist, only red dust.

"Tens of thousands of Indians walk up and down, the groups of males
revealing to be mostly voyeurs", reports the German newspaper. Meanwhile
some Goans feel like strangers in their own land saying: "People of Delhi
and Bombay come only to Goa to have more fun than they can have at their own places".

New buildings full of flats are waiting for speculators from Delhi or
Bombay. "Without the agreement of the Ministers and Chief minister the
criminality wouldn't get out of hand" cites the newspaper: "They are greedy,
want money".

Bipat Jan 18th 2011 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by iain492001 (Post 9111850)
Translation of an article in a German newspaper (courtesy of GoaNet News) :-

*Goa** of former days is no longer:** dishonoured**, betrayed, sold out *

The leading national German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ)
reports about the situation in Goa 40 years after the beginning of the
Hippie Culture in Goa. Goa of that days is no longer, writes the FAZ, asking
who destroyed the paradise.

In the seventies life in Goa was easy, cheap and colourful: cosy and
warm-hearted amongst beautiful people.

But now the former garden of Eden of the hippies is burning, has
been dishonoured, betrayed, sold out, says FAZ. Along the famous Goa beach you feel like being at "Ballermann" (German denomination for an infamous entertainment mile in Majorca, Spain, with very loud music, sex and alcohol) after an earthquake : footpaths in the streets do not exist, only red dust.

"Tens of thousands of Indians walk up and down, the groups of males
revealing to be mostly voyeurs", reports the German newspaper. Meanwhile
some Goans feel like strangers in their own land saying: "People of Delhi
and Bombay come only to Goa to have more fun than they can have at their own places".

New buildings full of flats are waiting for speculators from Delhi or
Bombay. "Without the agreement of the Ministers and Chief minister the
criminality wouldn't get out of hand" cites the newspaper: "They are greedy,
want money".

Isn't this the point of 'tourist Industry'?
Doesn't tourism always have a price? Spanish coasts, South of France, Land's End Cornwall etc. etc.
'Paradise' anywhere is spoilt when the 'masses' discover it.

(That said we all know about the Chief Minister)!!:thumbdown:

johnny five Jan 22nd 2011 9:08 am

Jesus and Mary have replaced the man in the moon.......

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...mumbai_1497961

And it must be true, cos Apollo D'Sousa says so..........

msj5 Jan 22nd 2011 1:10 pm

Dabolim airport to be closed for 13 hrs on 26th Jan for urgent runway repairs.

Hope no-ones got flights booked for that day.

kernowpisky Jan 22nd 2011 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by johnny five (Post 9121363)
Jesus and Mary have replaced the man in the moon.......

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...mumbai_1497961

And it must be true, cos Apollo D'Sousa says so..........

I too saw this moon, i think the spectacle was more down to copious amounts of Feni more than anything else:lol:

tarkacreek Jan 26th 2011 5:53 am

The other side of Goa: a video from goan voice on the garbage problems of goa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDxK2lNP6c0

noni Jan 28th 2011 2:08 pm

“29 Jan: Herald. The Calangute MLA Agnelo Fernandes says his constituency is swamped by dance bars, prostitutes and drug dealers... I have asked the police to take action and raid restaurants which are just fronts for prostitution rackets and have seen constables come and negotiate with the owners and move away...

Anjuna Police crack down on massage parlour29 Jan: Navhind Times. Anjuna police have cracked down on the large number of massage parlours that were existing in the jurisdiction of Anjuna village panchayat... From around 15 before, the number has been brought down to 2

www.goanvoice.org.uk

kernowpisky Jan 28th 2011 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by noni (Post 9136842)
“29 Jan: Herald. The Calangute MLA Agnelo Fernandes says his constituency is swamped by dance bars, prostitutes and drug dealers... I have asked the police to take action and raid restaurants which are just fronts for prostitution rackets and have seen constables come and negotiate with the owners and move away...

Anjuna Police crack down on massage parlour29 Jan: Navhind Times. Anjuna police have cracked down on the large number of massage parlours that were existing in the jurisdiction of Anjuna village panchayat... From around 15 before, the number has been brought down to 2

www.goanvoice.org.uk

i think i must live a sheltered life, i dare say these things do go on, and the papers reguarly report large drug seizures, but i have never seen these places and people..........but of course if you can point me in the right direction:ohmy:

a_f_d Jan 28th 2011 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by kernowpisky (Post 9136855)
i think i must live a sheltered life, i dare say these things do go on, and the papers reguarly report large drug seizures, but i have never seen these places and people..........but of course if you can point me in the right direction:ohmy:

No, to the best of my knowledge (read hearing <g>) I have never been offered drugs** or sex in Goa - I must look too poor as well as too old!

AndyD 8-)#

** with the exception of those very damaging drugs alcohol (thanks - mine's a (_)? ) and nicotine (gave it up years ago - very addictive and nasty!)

noni Jan 28th 2011 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by a_f_d (Post 9137091)
No, to the best of my knowledge (read hearing <g>) I have never been offered drugs** or sex in Goa - I must look too poor as well as too old!

AndyD 8-)#

** with the exception of those very damaging drugs alcohol (thanks - mine's a (_)? ) and nicotine (gave it up years ago - very addictive and nasty!)

We have only been offered drugs once whilst sitting in the salt lake in Arambol and that was 10 years ago. Only give other half 50 rups a day so he can't afford a prossie.

Vagatorian Jan 29th 2011 1:04 am

Didn`t visit last year but the year before I was pestered quite a few times by Nigerians trying to sell me cocaine, one even followed me to the toilet in Aqua lounge on Baga rd, hope they have moved on from round that area as I found it a bit intimidating later on in the evenings :(

msj5 Jan 29th 2011 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Vagatorian (Post 9137489)
Didn`t visit last year but the year before I was pestered quite a few times by Nigerians trying to sell me cocaine, one even followed me to the toilet in Aqua lounge on Baga rd, hope they have moved on from round that area as I found it a bit intimidating later on in the evenings :(

When i used to smoke rollies(hand made ciggies) I was always being offered things!!!Especially in a certain shack at Ozran beach.
They assume that as you are rolling a fag that its a joint!!!!

dreadsoc Jan 29th 2011 5:52 am

Originally Posted by msj5 (Post 9137657)
When i used to smoke rollies(hand made ciggies) I was always being offered things!!!Especially in a certain shack at Ozran beach.
They assume that as you are rolling a fag that its a joint!!!!

Not this season (yet!!), but certainly last season and the two before, I was approached several times in Calangute Main Street, outside the area of Menezes, and offered various substances from ganga to Cocaine.
I respond by loudly shouting "do I look like I want drugs" and laugh as I watch them scuttle away like little rats.

It is well known that certain elements of the Nigerian fraternity who hang around the Baga Road/Calangute area are dealers.

Dread - x