Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

John Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really nice
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

RE RELIGIOUS CLOSURE OF GOA - well, goa/ india seem to be very religious places. there are tiny little caves/statues that have offerings and incense burning everywhere along with the huge churches that seem very well attended. what i call organised religion here is failing miserably.

flash strikes, we are putting up with it all the time, the french fisherman blockade the ports illegally for days, then before any legal action can be organised, its over. thousands of travellers left stranded in the ports. along with operation stack (hundreds of lorrys up and down the M20) waiting for it to be over. often their is violence too along with them trying to snag escapees propellors which is dangerous.

when in rome etc. etc.

kat
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

... i am to speed with the goanvoice and tehalka.
I think you mean tehelka

AndyD 8-)#
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Daff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura about

In the Indian Times (via Goan Voice yesterday in case the link doesn't work) 'This doesn't look like Diwali'
http://www1.timesofindia.indiatimes....ow/3625715.cms.
'...dealers for some of the leading electronic brands, admitted that sales have fallen by over 50%. “We have goods worth Rs 1 crore in the ... and no buyers.' and “Last year during the Dussehra-Diwali period we sold over 30 sets of furniture, this year we are finding it difficult to sell even five pieces.”
Furthermore “Nearly 10% of our buyers during this period last year were NRIs or foreigners. Many NRIs and foreigners own apartments in Goa and furnish them when holidaying in the state.” Wonder why sales have dropped this year? Could it be the credit crunch or has the bank of FN closed its doors? Any answers?
Daff

Last edited by Daff; Oct 23rd 2008 at 12:57 pm. Reason: Yesterdays paper not todays
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

John Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really niceJohn Katrina is just really nice

im not sure if you are in goa to live fulltime that you can know actually how bad it is here. through good planning we are fine thank the gods any/all (dont want to offend by not thanking all!)

they say we are a step away from recession but anyone with a shop or in the retail trade will tell you that they think we are already in it. our nearest very popular all year round tourist town has a shop a month closing. its bad and not looking good for the next few years.

i just hope that the two couples who were behind us last year in the airport line, who were bragging that they had 'done' a grand in two weeks and the others who said they had 'done' £1500 are now suffering.

thanks for the links i will keep in touch with what is going on a bit closer.

kat
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 5:00 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Default Keith Vaz

Good old Keith Vaz - he's on page 2 of the TOI today saying how immigration to the UK should be made easier for Indians & how Great Britain is India's best friend in Europe. . . . . . . . . . .

Well, if we are their best pals, they Goan government has got a bloody funny way of showing it!

Does no one in India get the 'you scratch our back, we scratch yours' way of doing things???? Obviously not, they prefer the you scratch our backs & then we'll shaft you. . . . . . . . with a smile on our faces. . . . . . :curse::curse:

Here's the link if you want to annoy yourselves:

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Daily...&login=default

Regards

Hemingway
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 5:10 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Well put!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future

Well spotted and put Hemingway

2 particular points from the article below;

"The Labour MP of Goan origin, representing Leicestershire East says he is eager to strengthen Indo-British bilateral ties."

"It is quite easy to blend in without being questioned.”
.................................................. ......................

Must be nice to "dream the impossible dream"

K-C
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

berkshire1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Keith Vaz

Originally Posted by hemingway
Good old Keith Vaz - he's on page 2 of the TOI today saying how immigration to the UK should be made easier for Indians & how Great Britain is India's best friend in Europe. . . . . . . . . . .

Well, if we are their best pals, they Goan government has got a bloody funny way of showing it!

Does no one in India get the 'you scratch our back, we scratch yours' way of doing things???? Obviously not, they prefer the you scratch our backs & then we'll shaft you. . . . . . . . with a smile on our faces. . . . . . :curse::curse:

Regards

Hemingway
What else do you expect out the mouth of a Goan......He is a joker.....this new policy ensures only people get in to the UK who will benefit the economy. It will prevent people from being a drain on the UK.

He should look at India where self funded Brits and other FN's just get no end of hassle!

Why would he want it easier for Indian to move to the UK if India is to be the next world power......!

Last edited by berkshire1987; Oct 23rd 2008 at 11:30 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:13 am
Just Joined

berkshire1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Keith Vaz

Does no one in India get the 'you scratch our back, we scratch yours' way of doing things???? Obviously not, they prefer the you scratch our backs & then we'll shaft you. . . . . . . . with a smile on our faces. . . . . .

Regards

Hemingway

Maybe India will also do the same for us
Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future

Hi All,

More letters about us " DREGS " :curse: in the Herald letters section today !

At least one Goan looks in support of us

K-C
Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith Vaz “Goa a bridge between Britain and India”

From todays (excellent) "Goan Voice UK"

?uestion is though.. Who actually owns the bridge ? :curse:
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:02 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Default From the Herald

As this is a letter to the newspaper I don't reckon there should be a copywright issue with it, but if there is the mods can delete it.

Goa tourism slumps
Bryan D’Sousa, Birmingham
As I sit here on a cold, rainy UK Sunday morning reading my newspapers, a very sad fact is evident from a perusal of the holiday supplements. Goa is no longer featured as a ‘good value winter holiday’ destination in these supplements.
It seems that all the bad press surrounding Goa has finally hit the UK tourist market. As the son of a proud UK Goan I am deeply saddened that my father’s homeland is no longer a safe or cheap place to visit.
To those people who have banged the drum about the British ‘dregs’, I hope you are proud of what you have achieved. When at the end of this new tourist season the final visitor numbers are counted up, I hope you are able to explain to the shack owners and shopkeepers why their takings are down and tourists are staying away from Goa.

The above sounds like common sense to me. . . . . . . . . . .

Regards

Hemingway
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

Goacrazy56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: From the Herald

Originally Posted by hemingway
As this is a letter to the newspaper I don't reckon there should be a copywright issue with it, but if there is the mods can delete it.

Goa tourism slumps
Bryan D’Sousa, Birmingham
As I sit here on a cold, rainy UK Sunday morning reading my newspapers, a very sad fact is evident from a perusal of the holiday supplements. Goa is no longer featured as a ‘good value winter holiday’ destination in these supplements.
It seems that all the bad press surrounding Goa has finally hit the UK tourist market. As the son of a proud UK Goan I am deeply saddened that my father’s homeland is no longer a safe or cheap place to visit.
To those people who have banged the drum about the British ‘dregs’, I hope you are proud of what you have achieved. When at the end of this new tourist season the final visitor numbers are counted up, I hope you are able to explain to the shack owners and shopkeepers why their takings are down and tourists are staying away from Goa.

The above sounds like common sense to me. . . . . . . . . . .

Regards

Hemingway
When I read this today I thought exactly the same as you Hemingway,this guy comes from my neck of the woods, a good old Brummie Goan,they get everywhere But he will never write anything more truthful.
Goa is in for a bl**dy shock this year. Im sorry to say it serves them right The flights going out to Goa this year are half empty.The same flight we are on have seats now at half the price we paid.What do they expect,If I wasn't tied into a property I wouldn't go with all the bad publicity,it isn't safe even for this British midlands riff raff lass!!!!!!

Last edited by Goacrazy56; Oct 28th 2008 at 9:50 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

In The Herald "Letter of the Day" (sorry cant copy and paste) a guy is harping on about his people had to suffer boards with "dogs and no indians allowed outside bars/rests when the british ruled.
And some places in England are just as dirty as a dump in Mumbai.
goans owning property in the UK, if our country allows outsiders to buy we should ask the government to change the rules, as they have rules here and we the british have flouted them, thats why there is now public outcry blah!blah! Blah!!
And lastly the drug trade started due to the hippies and brits and has polluted goa's youth and society.
He does agree that many goans depend on tourism but not the brits that come here on holiday are not all of proper background and do not do much to help tourism, though maybe they help the drug trade and cigarette industry, he forget about AA.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

1s.cowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry In To-day's Newspapers ( Actually Yesterdays !)

From the Mail yesterday, [email protected]

( Edited version)

India does not need our aid, we do ...

India has just sent a rocket to the moon, part of a billiondollar space programme.

Earlier this year, the Indian conglomerate Tata bought "2 well known car manufacturers" for £1.15billion.

Indian steel magnate ******* ****** is said to be worth $45billion and is one of London's most famous ' nondoms'. He is reported to be the fourth richest man in the world, just one of thousands of Indian multi-millionaires and billionaires.

So why did Gordon Brown commit £825million in foreign aid to India at a time when that country is buying up British firms and sending rockets into space?

With our economy going to hell in a handcart, we should be asking for our money back.

Charity begins at home.

Perhaps Mr Littljohn has " Got Talent " or perhaps he MAY have "The X factor" if WE email him with our stories ?

Any thoughts or observations ?

Simon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.