Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

British and German Food

British and German Food

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Annitaa5_h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British and German Food

I would die if I have to eat that everyday. My I mean that I don't have many tasty and healthy choices..
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I am not sure if I would agree that British food is so much better than German food. I agree though that German food isn't the greatest, healthiest and it is not very diverse.

Last edited by Assanah; Jan 23rd 2013 at 11:13 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

How I beg to differ , from such generalisations !
IMHO , GOOD German food is at least as good as GOOD GB food , GOOD Spanish , SAfrican , Swiss , Austrian , Italian , Greek/cypriot , Asian , US , SLOvenian , Croatian and other food/s !
What a Great Pity that easily 80-90% of respective populations of most countries NEVER-EVER get to taste and appreciate such fine foods ( & apropriate drinks etc. )
Old Jan 26th 2013, 2:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
How I beg to differ , from such generalisations !
IMHO , GOOD German food is at least as good as GOOD GB food , GOOD Spanish , SAfrican , Swiss , Austrian , Italian , Greek/cypriot , Asian , US , SLOvenian , Croatian and other food/s !
What a Great Pity that easily 80-90% of respective populations of most countries NEVER-EVER get to taste and appreciate such fine foods ( & apropriate drinks etc. )
Is it that they can't afford it?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I think German is by and large very good . Always eat very well with home cooking and healthy. I find eating out fine as well. In some of the smaller German towns very good. Much better in price and taste than generally found in Australia,where I live at the moment.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Is it that they can't afford it?
IMHO , in most countries : a mixture of affordability , ( non ) education , peer pressure , disinterest in health & nutrition , ignorance , misunderstandings ...
from what I've experiencied , Eastern Europeans eat particarly badly ( on the whole ) AND drink far too much rubbish , the Brits are sold on junk and convenience foods ( talking hoi-poloi masses here ) the French , Itaes , most Spanish , Portuguese & definitively : Belgians know very much better !
Bon Appetit , then !
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the diet of the average Brit prole. ( I avoid the word "pleb" coz it gets you into trouble.) Yuk !
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I know & remain Disgusted - when , on the most limited & stingy of lazy man's diets , one can today eat perfectly well & healthy and nutritios from as lowly-outlets as Aldi and Lidl , or pick up heavily reduced prime grub after 16.00-17.00 daily , from the likes of M & S , Waitrose , Sainsbury's even !
Yet , to most of the common-or-garden variety Brit , seems that MCD , Pizza Hut , curry rip-off jints , Dallas fried chicken , greg's...remain their poison of choice ?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

We buy our meat direct from a local farmer, most is free-range. The knuckle of pork is very good in Bavaria, best place to eat it is a monastery called Andechs.
one can't beat German bread. When we go to the UK we love fish'n chips, boiled gammon and GOOD pub food.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Family now installed in Herford and are finding the local shops a huge improvement on those in Munster.

However good affordable restaurants seem to be seriously lacking, according to the expat families around.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:18 am
Just Joined

LissiAlleman is an unknown quantity at this point

German food is way better than British food! Sorry mates! Don't take it personal . The British cuisine doesn't belong to the popular ones. I always see Indian, Chinese, Thai, Italian, French and sometimes German restaurnats - But never British Restaurants - Except for Steak Houses
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:10 am
Just Joined

tinarhoermann is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LissiAlleman
German food is way better than British food! Sorry mates! Don't take it personal . The British cuisine doesn't belong to the popular ones. I always see Indian, Chinese, Thai, Italian, French and sometimes German restaurnats - But never British Restaurants - Except for Steak Houses
Sorry dear, but German food IS a nightmare especially when eating out. Worse than any meal you get on the NHS in any hospital. Even the German breads are not that special. Have you been to any artisan bakery in the UK lately? They have a wider and much better choice than any German bakery and the stuff tastes a lot better too. And finding a proper curry house in Germany is a lost cause. I am off to visit family and friends coming Sat for 3 days and don't get me wrong - but first stop will be for a decent curry :-) I soooo cannae wait!!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

LissiAlleman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

don't worry! I don't take it personal I know that at least 82.000.000 people will agree with me. This is the first time in my life that someone tells me that an English bakery is better than a German one. This would be like telling a French or Swiss person that they don't have good cheese
But hey - whatever...Every taste is different.
I believe your comment about proper curry houses! This kind of food is not very popular in Germany. Although I do like them a lot if they are good.

Cheers and enjoy whatever you like!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

tinarhoermann is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lissi,
nae bother
I am just missing Waitrose and M&S Simply Food...
Tina