British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/)
-   -   British and German Food (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/british-german-food-777749/)

Richard_UK Nov 15th 2012 2:28 pm

British and German Food

Hello Guys and Girls!

Please, could you give any kind of opinion if you compare German and British food and say what foods you rather miss?

Thank you :starsmile:

burgin Nov 22nd 2012 6:27 am

Re: British and German Food

Hello,

Me: teabags, marmite.
Other members of family: Cadbury's, Hellmanns, bacon.

But, all of the above are available (Munich anyway) with some effort and cost.

Richard_UK Nov 24th 2012 11:47 am

Originally Posted by burgin (Post 10395682)
Hello,

Me: teabags, marmite.
Other members of family: Cadbury's, Hellmanns, bacon.

But, all of the above are available (Munich anyway) with some effort and cost.

Is there anything German you love?

SDDep Nov 24th 2012 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Richard_UK (Post 10399089)
Is there anything German you love?

Jurgen Klinsmann...in a manly sort of way

burgin Nov 24th 2012 3:57 pm

The no-nonsense, orderly way of doing things.
Food wise, kaiserschmarm.

Assanah Nov 28th 2012 1:32 am

I am not British. But I heard many British complaining about the food in Germany, the choice and the freshness. I am not sure if you are moving to Germany but food might be a disappointment.

scot47 Nov 29th 2012 9:44 am

German bread ! Wonderful ! Or is that the stuff in Britannia is now so awful ?

German cheeses and German Wurst. Before I became a teetotaller - German beer ! The REINHEITSGEBOT ! Aaaaaah !

stewpot Dec 7th 2012 5:10 pm

PG tips,marmite and brown sauce

scot47 Dec 7th 2012 7:12 pm

Working in the Middle East I had a simple rule. When I went into a restaurant, if I saw brown sauce on the table, I would go elsewhere !

The Germans are not very good at tea 1 I like real tea - not that horrid stuff in teabags. Vile American invention !

stewpot Dec 8th 2012 2:41 pm

get my stuff from the local Real store

hales Dec 10th 2012 1:21 pm

Most British foods can be obtained. We have an Asian shop which sells marmite, custard powder, tea bags, self raising flour etc. There is also a van that visits Osnabrück once a month with British food. Just Google 'Food from Home' and you can see where they visit in Germany. And Scot47, the reason the Germans are not very good at making our tea is that they don't realise that the water must be boiling.

scot47 Dec 10th 2012 7:45 pm

"Our tea" ?? Mine comes from India !!!

aries Dec 26th 2012 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 10404862)
I am not British. But I heard many British complaining about the food in Germany, the choice and the freshness. I am not sure if you are moving to Germany but food might be a disappointment.

It depends where you live in Germany. Smaller towns generally have access to fresh food, but less access to 'proper' bacon and lamb. It astonished me when I asked for a half leg of lamb, to be told that it had to be ordered. Much easier to buy pork and chicken which you can see on the spot.

I enjoy the asparagus season, it is very pale but thick and succulent, and of course there is a good range of sausage.

RedDragon2008 Dec 27th 2012 3:53 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10421999)
Working in the Middle East I had a simple rule. When I went into a restaurant, if I saw brown sauce on the table, I would go elsewhere !

I like that trick:thumbsup:

Hayley89 Jan 4th 2013 10:34 am

Mmmm, I love German food! When I move there, I truly look forward to eating healthier! I find that fresh vegetables are cheaper! Also, my weakness... currywurst. Oh currywurst. <3

However, I noticed that there isn't much to cook with when making Chinese cuisine. I love cooking with noodles, but Kaufland was lacking in the noodles and sauces that I like - I use Blue Dragon. Also, no HP brown sauce, boo!

I also love how Persian food is very available in Germany, this is great since it's a big part of my other half's diet!