Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Santa's wish list

Santa's wish list

Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:55 am

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Santa's wish list

Originally Posted by millsi
A selfish one I'm afraid...but - For my husbands firm to make an outrageosly attractive offer that would make it impossible for us to refuse relocating to the South of France in the 2008!...

(He's meeting the Directors in two weeks)

Hope your wish comes true
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

peaches17 will become famous soon enoughpeaches17 will become famous soon enough

This morning I heard some very disturbing news for me. An official from the Secular Organization, part of a government funded thing, here in the UK and on TV's GMTV show said, the UK or England, either or both, is no longer a Christian country. He said 60% of all British children are now no longer Christian. They are either of other faiths or secular, which is why schools and Town Halls, etc., are doing away with the nativity and other Christmas related festivities. Apparently only one in five schools teach or tell of the Christian faith anymore or have a nativity play.

When I heard this it was as if I had been hit in the stomach. I am not a person who attends church every sunday, or, a particularly involved church goer at all. Christmas, Easter, weddings and funerals kind of person really. Yet I was so disturbed by this information being accepted so easily on general TV that I became both depressed and frightened. In fact I wept.

I know this is a ludicrous wish and will no doubt be thought by many as a backward thinker, but, I don't care, I want the England of my birth to return. If Santa is out there, I do so hope he hears me.

Peaches

Last edited by peaches17; Dec 5th 2007 at 10:58 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:03 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Peaches,

I know exactly how you feel. The simple truth of it is that time marches on. Things change unfortunately not always for the better. There are myriad excuses for why this happens, but I believe that it lies with two groups of people. Parents and government.

I could elaborate, but I won't. I'm just glad that even though I share no particular religious belief, I still believe in the fundamentals of Christianity. That we should respect one another, and our beliefs.

I'm gladder still that I now live in a country that allows me to be who I want to be.

Serious stuff. I'm sorry for your upset, love. I really am.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

peaches17 will become famous soon enoughpeaches17 will become famous soon enough

You are a gallant knight Le Chant, thank you.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peaches17
This morning I heard some very disturbing news for me. An official from the Secular Organization, part of a government funded thing, here in the UK and on TV's GMTV show said, the UK or England, either or both, is no longer a Christian country. He said 60% of all British children are now no longer Christian. They are either of other faiths or secular, which is why schools and Town Halls, etc., are doing away with the nativity and other Christmas related festivities. Apparently only one in five schools teach or tell of the Christian faith anymore or have a nativity play.

When I heard this it was as if I had been hit in the stomach. I am not a person who attends church every sunday, or, a particularly involved church goer at all. Christmas, Easter, weddings and funerals kind of person really. Yet I was so disturbed by this information being accepted so easily on general TV that I became both depressed and frightened. In fact I wept.

I know this is a ludicrous wish and will no doubt be thought by many as a backward thinker, but, I don't care, I want the England of my birth to return. If Santa is out there, I do so hope he hears me.

Peaches

Hi Peaches,
I think as long as there are people like you still there then there is no need to despair. Agree totally with Le Chant in their lovely post to you.
You only have to read through the other forums to find you are not alone in the way you feel, which is why so many are choosing to leave UK. It is sad in a way, perhaps if more of us stayed we could make a change. Things seem to go in a cycle though, so hopefully there is still chance that it's not too late for UK to get back on track.
sending you lots of hugs and kisses
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Val50, your words are an enormous comfort to me. Thank you so much.

I realise I do now really have to rethink my life.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:56 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Peach.

Val, I'd like to believe that the country of my birth will recover from this general malaise. I think it will, but sadly not fast enough for me to want to remain. I, along with so many others chose to leave it behind in search of a better life. How many millions before us have done the same, all over the world. I too am looking to recapture my chilldhood days, as well as hoping for a better life for my kids too. My eldest has returned to the UK after 2 years here with us. He's 21, so a man now. He needs to make some decisions too. At the moment, he's happy in the UK. That may change, and if/when it does, he'll no doubt do what's best for him. My youngest two are still here. My daughter's fully embraced her life here. She's working, has boyfriends, girlfriends and is reasonably content. I think she'll remain in France. My youngest is due to start an apprenticeship in March. With him, time will tell. I had my familie's best interests at heart when I brought them here, and I maintain that had we stayed, they would be far less confident, and far less happy with their lives.

Peach, it looks like you have similar decisions to make. Best of luck, it isn't easy, especially if you have kids. But, once you realise that home is indeed where your heart is, then you'll be fine.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Peaches
I know (as do many thousands do) exactly how you feel. Its a sad day when we feel something has gone, and not generally for the better. But things change and with change you find so do you. I am unhappy with lots of things, some like you, which make me sad.
But perhaps it is the clarity of noticing the change which makes you realise that something is no longer for you and your family. It is with that in mind that you can move to pastures new, to start life afresh.
Things may one day return as to how they were, but like Le Chant you may well have moved on, created a new life and find yourself back in a more tranquil place. I hope so.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:02 am

Hi Peaches and alllovely posts,much
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:17 am
Banned

A_n_g_e_l_a is an unknown quantity at this point

Only a TB20 please Santa.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Angela did you ever get byour car headlights fixed?

P.s ........20.... no problem.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by A_n_g_e_l_a
Only a TB20 please Santa.
Originally Posted by themoose
Angela did you ever get byour car headlights fixed?

P.s ........20.... no problem.

OK, I give up whats a TB20?`Im dying to know.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

the age (i think) she would like ' to be 20' .....(years old).

Must admit i would prefer TB-23. (no more college!).. in fact no i wouldnt go so TB- 18.........
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by themoose
the age (i think) she would like ' to be 20' .....(years old).

Must admit i would prefer TB-23. (no more college!).. in fact no i wouldnt go so TB- 18.........

Duh! sometimes I really surprise myself at my own dumbness
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

finestkind!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.