Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Santa's wish list

Santa's wish list

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:11 am

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Santa's wish list

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Well with it being my last xmas in the UK, it's not asking for much.

And, Ive always wanted to go to Midnight Mass - never done it in my life and Im not religious but Ive always wanted to go.

So I shall go - it will be on my own though as Mr PP wont fancy that.
I think thats a real nice thing to do Im not religious either,well not the western worlds one.But I think it would be good for you if you have always wanted to do it.I would imagine it would be quite moving.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Well with it being my last xmas in the UK, it's not asking for much.

And, Ive always wanted to go to Midnight Mass - never done it in my life and Im not religious but Ive always wanted to go.

So I shall go - it will be on my own though as Mr PP wont fancy that.
The first Christmas we were in France, we went to Midnight Mass in the little old church in St Mere Eglise. It was packed, standing room only. We hadn't got a clue what was going on, but the atmosphere was amazing. If you want to go - then go. Life's too short not to do the things you want to do.
And can you stop the snow dance now please - I think you have your co-ordinates wrong - it's still coming down here in NS
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
The first Christmas we were in France, we went to Midnight Mass in the little old church in St Mere Eglise. It was packed, standing room only. We hadn't got a clue what was going on, but the atmosphere was amazing.
Of course you know that that was the church where the US paratrooper got stuck in the steeple? Sounds like folklore, I know, but despite John Wayne and all that, it's true.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

All the best for your dad. A difficult time with you having your last xmas in the UK too.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:06 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. St. Mere Eglise. Wonderful church. I'd love to spend Midnight Mass there, especially given the church's history. Inside, there's the most fantastic stained glass window depicting the J-Jour Invasion. Here's a couple of shots I took there a few years ago. You can see the effigy of Pvt. John Steele with his 'chute on the church spire.

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Le Chant
Yep. St. Mere Eglise. Wonderful church. I'd love to spend Midnight Mass there, especially given the church's history. Inside, there's the most fantastic stained glass window depicting the J-Jour Invasion. Here's a couple of shots I took there a few years ago. You can see the effigy of Pvt. John Steele with his 'chute on the church spire.

Have you exceeded your limit at photobox ?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Sad no photo, brightens up the day (must find my camera!). Hopefully tomorrow they might be back
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:26 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry folks, my fault. I keep forgetting that PhotoBox doesn't always let you embed links in Forums! So, I took them off and put them on my Flickr account instead. Here they are.

Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Of course you know that that was the church where the US paratrooper got stuck in the steeple? Sounds like folklore, I know, but despite John Wayne and all that, it's true.
The little cafe across the square is run by one of the former paratroopers - quite a celeb locally and always around on D-Day. They really go to town on D-Day with the celebrations, especially the firework display. The American's do a paratroop drop close by and then march into town where they then hand over a new parachute to replace the one hanging from the dummy on the church! We were there for the 60th anniversary, a fantastic time. We even had secret service guys checking out our drive way as we had a clear view of Utah Beach from the farm, with only fields in-between.
They have a great market there on Thursday's too. Tend to avoid it over the summer though as it gets so busy. The D-Day musuem is one of the best we've been too.
Our eldest was at school with the Mairie's son, nice guy I've found all the local Mairie's here are nice people - most of them prefer the English to the Parisiens too, so do all they can to help British Expats here.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:34 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pics,
I love the way the guys bald head lights up the window.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by jdr
Nice pics,
I love the way the guys bald head lights up the window.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

millsi is a jewel in the roughmillsi is a jewel in the roughmillsi is a jewel in the roughmillsi is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by themoose
So what do you want from Santa this year???

If you could only have one thing, what would it be?
A selfish one I'm afraid...but - For my husbands firm to make an outrageosly attractive offer that would make it impossible for us to refuse relocating to the South of France in the 2008!...

(He's meeting the Directors in two weeks)
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

millsi is a jewel in the roughmillsi is a jewel in the roughmillsi is a jewel in the roughmillsi is a jewel in the rough

Well Im trying not to worry, hes waiting for a CT scan for a shadow on his lung - that they are almost certain is scar tissue.

But hes also waiting for an appointment at St Mary's in Paddington to investigate a fluttering in his chest, they think that is SVT - but not sure.

Its all a worry for me.
PP - Best wishes for you and your Dad. Oh and I'll happily burn my bra for snow on Christmas day!

Last edited by millsi; Dec 5th 2007 at 8:28 am.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:27 am

Ooh! Bon chance!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Le Chant
Ooh! Bon chance!
Merci Le Chant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.