Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Plastering in France

Plastering in France

Old Jul 21st 2022, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plastering in France

Originally Posted by Martplst5
Apologies for lack of information
we are both British passport holders and plan to get married before moving there. ....
So you're definitely going to need visas if you want to actually live in France, but whether you choose a visa that allows you to work or not, is up to you (there will be different requirements) ....
.....,it's just the knowing whether we can make the move without it being far too much hassle than its worth ....
.... and only you can decided whether it is too much hassle.
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 6:39 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Hence, once again, if one does it, and gets caught they can't complain. Everybody knows that its non-legal 'salary'. This discussion only underlines the risks

Brit expats need to be more careful it seems.... But 'cash-jobs', 'working in the black' etc are a reality of life, everywhere. I also remain sure that this will increase over time as long as this financial crisis continues.

I'm not justifying it, just accepting it as a reality, and in fact, pretty much a normal part of life! Like it or not.

Everyone that does it (including the customer) knows that they are taking a risk and breaking the/some law(s). After that, its up to them to take any consequence... Or benefit ... from doing it.

Wouldn't you, take a service like this if it was a good deal and quality work from a trusted person .... Or at least consider it ?

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 22nd 2022 at 6:49 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Jon-Bxl you are absolutely right. I suppose all I was trying to point out is that in every country you know you're taking a risk, but for instance in the UK you know there is more risk of the moon turning into cheese than anybody getting sanctioned for abusing labour law because the UK is not at all proactive on this, it doesn't have much in the way of labour law and it has no mechanism for enforcing what it does have, it doesn't have whole armies of labour inspectors like for instance France does. It's a game of cat and mouse - a retired artisan I once used for a big job, believed that his phone was tapped so he insisted on his customers using a code, so for instance if you wanted him to come and give you a quote you invited him for an apéro, if you wanted him to start work you arranged a date when he could come for dinner. If URSSAF really was listening in they must have thought he lived in a social whirl...
But the issue for Brits now is not so much working on the black, which as you say will never be totally stopped, it's working in France without authorisation which is also an immigration offence. And, because it's possible to identify the specific group of individuals that might potentially be involved (TCNs significantly below retirement age holding a CdS that doesn't allow them to work) and check up on them systematically , this exactly the type of abuse that DREETS might be tempted to turn into an initiative, allocating a full-time project team to it and setting targets, as they did with posted workers.

But to get back to the OP's question - as Pulaski says it's a personal decision where the tipping point is between hassle and benefits because it all depends how much you want to move to France. Usually the more you want something, the more effort you are prepared to put into getting it.
Old Jul 23rd 2022, 6:19 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

The good news is that anyone who has read this thread, and in particular ET's warnings regarding 'cash-jobs' now know the extent of potential risks involved ...everyone knows that risk is involved.

Of course its better to get a legal invoice and possibly associated legal/consumer protection too. There are other cases where it would be foolish to do a cash-job like e.g gas fitting/installation of course (IMO)

However the free choice remains there, if you and your 'Artisan' want to risk it. Obviously there are benefits to it as well in some cases. I even heard about someone who had loads of work done, he was a VAT inspector! So the authorities themselves may even do it privately.

I wonder if the authorities would, in reality, also aggressively go after the customers too.... Even endangering their residency status. But its possible too, I suppose.

'Buyer beware'

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 23rd 2022 at 6:40 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2022, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Martplst5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Once again thank you to all who have replied to my question
I Would like to point out that it is not my intention to move to France and work on the 'black'We want to go about things in a proper, legal manner.As I posted earlier our goal is to move out there and wind down work wise. We obviously need to do lots more research on all the paperwork side of thingsI do get the feeling from reading other threads on here that it's not going to be easy and a lot of people will be put off by negative answers to their questions...... but even after Brexit I'm sure there are still plenty of Brits successfully making the moveWhere there's a will there's a way!
Old Jul 23rd 2022, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I Would like to point out that it is not my intention to move to France and work on the 'black'We want to go about things in a proper, legal manner.As I posted earlier our goal is to move out there and wind down work wise. We obviously need to do lots more research on all the paperwork side of thingsI do get the feeling from reading other threads on here that it's not going to be easy and a lot of people will be put off by negative answers to their questions...... but even after Brexit I'm sure there are still plenty of Brits successfully making the moveWhere there's a will there's a way!
Hi Martin
You have read other threads and gleaned some information from them.
The same thing applies to this thread.
Many of the responses are directed at anyone who may read this thread and is considering "working from home" or "working casually" as they may do in the UK.
You, and anyone else reading this needs to research work regulations in France.
Good luck with your dream to live in France.
Old Jul 23rd 2022, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I Would like to point out that it is not my intention to move to France and work on the 'black'We want to go about things in a proper, legal manner.As I posted earlier our goal is to move out there and wind down work wise. We obviously need to do lots more research on all the paperwork side of thingsI do get the feeling from reading other threads on here that it's not going to be easy and a lot of people will be put off by negative answers to their questions...... but even after Brexit I'm sure there are still plenty of Brits successfully making the move. Where there's a will there's a way!
As the maze attendant shouted to Shakespear on hearing he couldn't find his way out........