Options for UK number now that I'm based in France

Options for UK number now that I'm based in France

Old Jul 22nd 2022, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Jessica W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Options for UK number now that I'm based in France

Hi all,

This is my first post here!
I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts or experience around what to do with your UK phone number.

I intend to deactivate my contract (with giffgaff) as no longer going to use it really. It would be great to keep the number potentially, perhaps to keep using WhatsApp etc on the phone (I'm using another mobile phone for my French number).
Does anyone have any experience about using the number / phone for whatsapp (or other similar Internet apps) if you want to deactivate the phone contract? Do you lose the number unless you transfer it to an another provider?

Many thanks for your help!

Old Jul 22nd 2022, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Options for UK number now that I'm based in France

Welcome to the forum
Can you change to a PAYG in the UK and retain your number?
You can top up online with a few £s from time to time and you would still have your number if someone in the UK contacts you.
Old Jul 22nd 2022, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can keep number in limbo not attached to any provider.
There are various options but if you don't actually want to use it, Cyrian's suggestion is probably best.
I have a dual sim phone with my French sim card in which I use for just about everything, and a UK 02 sim card that I've had for ages, that I use in the UK occasionally and for incoming calls and for texts from UK bank etc. I can't even remember last time I topped it up, it just sits there minding its own business most of the time but it's there if I need it.
Old Jul 23rd 2022, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Ask yourself "Do I actually need a UK number in France?"
If you have a uk sim then you risk being cut off when your provider realises that you are permanently in France.

Are you thinking of something like this?
https://www.thumbtel.com/another-num...mobile-number/
Old Jul 23rd 2022, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Ask yourself "Do I actually need a UK number in France?"
If you have a uk sim then you risk being cut off when your provider realises that you are permanently in France.

Are you thinking of something like this?
https://www.thumbtel.com/another-num...mobile-number/
My wife acquired a Tesco PAYG in the UK over 10 years ago, we moved to Hungary in 2014 - it still works.