Mussidan

Old Jun 1st 2019, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Goddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mussidan

Does anyone know Mussidan?
My wife and I are looking to buy some land there or specially st medard de mussidan and would appreciate any experience of the area.
it seems to be growing but we wonder if it is too quiet.
Thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mussidan

HI
Welcome to the forum.
The population of Mussidan has been in a slow decline for a number of years.
The population is ageing because the younger french have to move away to find work.
There is a steady movement of french people leaving the countryside to be replaced by incomers usually of other nationalities.
There is currently a problem in rural France of lack of doctors and medical facilities.
Why do you want to move there?
Do you speak french?
Do you want to live within easy reach of a doctor or hospital?
You have said that you want to buy land but do you intend to build a home or is it for another purpose?
Do you understand that the housing market in France is very different from the UK?
You may (probably wont) get your money back on a (especially rural) property in France.
If you upgrade or improve a property then you are unlikely to see a return on your investment.
Property can take years to sell in France because of lack of demand.
If your intention is to move to France then you should consider renting - at least initially - to assess the area and house market.
If you think that at some point in the future you may return to the UK then you may not have enough funds to buy in the UK.
Sorry if this is general but you didn't give much detail.
Have a look here:
Mussidan - inhabitants
HTH

Last edited by cyrian; Jun 2nd 2019 at 6:59 am. Reason: Formatting
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

How do you define "too quiet"? French small towns tend to be quiet. As for whether it's "too quiet", that's all down to personal preference isn't it. For many people, peace and quiet is a big reason for moving to rural or semi-rural France. Presumably you have spent time there in order to be considering investing in the place - did you find it too quiet for your taste? because that's all that matters.
Nowhere's too quiet for me
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Goddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies I should have given more information.
my wife is French and having lived in the UK for 20 years we are looking to buy some land this year, build next year and then use it as a fairly regular second/holiday home for about 2 years before moving to France full time.
we do understand the French housing market and accept that it is not like the UK with growth in values over time. It is a risk along with the FX risk we are aware of. Not sure if in due course we will move back to the UK.
in an ideal world we would be in a reasonable quiet area within walking distance of a boulangerie and a bar/restaurant. Whilst also being close to a busier town.
whilst we have dogs and would drive down ultimately friends and family could visit us by air hence bergerac airport is good.
We have spend many holidays in France and know the Dordogne. Mother in law is in Aurillac.
we are faily young so dont (at this time) need a doctor close hopefully that remains true!
I personally would like a golf course nearby and there are some nice ones about 30 mins away which is ok for travel.
We have been to bergerac and eymet but I understand there have been changes to planning this year to try and prevent the spread of towns. We have therefore struggled to find a decent plot of land.
we havent come across mussidan previously, we have done some research and look at Google maps! We believe a new faster trainline to perigeux is planned which might help.
we plan a quick trip to the area in a couple of weekends.
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't invest in a place without having spent time there. Looking at places on a computer is all well and good, it gives you a good idea of where might potentially be suitable, but it's not the same as being there. You don't get the vibes, you don't smell the air, you don't get a feel for what life there is actually like. Especially if you're intending to make a permanent move there in the future.
Sadly, the boulangerie and bar/tabac that every village used to have can no longer be taken for granted, as it could when your wife lived in France 20 years ago. But you probably know this from your holidays.
Bergerac and Eymet are a bit notorious for being expat territory, I was quite surprised that they would also be the number one choice for an Anglo-French couple.
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

We have a member who bought a plot of land and built his home.
There is a video diary of his progress which would be helpful to you.
He will be along soon I expect.
Have a look here:

Land purchase

HTH
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

cyrian, thanks for remembering us. :-)

Having bought and built, I suggest spending as much time as needed getting comfortable with the location.

Our area in central France is alive but most villages around here do not have their own bakery or cafe. This was the trade off we accepted when moving away from a French city.

Factor in the distance to numerous markets and supermarkets. Relying on one shop or small town is risky. Shops can and do change or close. Medical facilities are important. How far will you have to travel if you or a loved one gets hurt?

If you rely on Internet access, be wary and proactive. Take your mobile on holiday and test the local connection. Do not trust this to luck, test and try local connections.

You are right to be concerned about the exchange rate risks; we saw huge fluctuations during the two years of building.

If you build, do you plan to do any part yourself? Have you built a house before? Or are you wanting a key-in-hand style build? Who do you imagine will do the project management? Where will you be when the build is in-progress?

Whatever approach you choose, this will be an adventure!