Reload this Page >

Land purchase in France

Land purchase in France

Old Mar 7th 2019, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

diggitscar73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Land purchase in France

Hi to All.
I have been coming and going to France for a number of years now for family purposes - the south coast mainly into Nimes, Montpellier and now further round towards Spain. France has grown on me a lot over the last few years. I had an appartment for about 3 years there so am kid of familiar as to how society can be.
My question is this...
I am thinking long term project. I would very much like to retire over there when my daughter has finished school about another 8 to 10 years. I am keen to explore the opportunity to buy land somewhere to build on.I am preferring somewhere south between the south coast and the cevenne mountains.

I heard that land can be picked up at an agreeable price and that usually is not too difficult to get planning permission on.
I wonder if anyone has previous experience of this and can point me in any direction where land is for sale that perhaps is not targeted towards expats?!
Many thanks for reading.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 4:00 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land purchase in France

Originally Posted by diggitscar73
Hi to All.
I have been coming and going to France for a number of years now for family purposes - the south coast mainly into Nimes, Montpellier and now further round towards Spain. France has grown on me a lot over the last few years. I had an appartment for about 3 years there so am kid of familiar as to how society can be.
My question is this...
I am thinking long term project. I would very much like to retire over there when my daughter has finished school about another 8 to 10 years. I am keen to explore the opportunity to buy land somewhere to build on.I am preferring somewhere south between the south coast and the cevenne mountains.

I heard that land can be picked up at an agreeable price and that usually is not too difficult to get planning permission on.
I wonder if anyone has previous experience of this and can point me in any direction where land is for sale that perhaps is not targeted towards expats?!
Many thanks for reading.
Hi, you could look on the LeBonCoin and PAP sites under "terrains constructibles" either in the Gard or Hérault, to give you an idea of what's available. Many properties are on sale by individuals, to avoid paying estate agents' fees - ignore those marked "pro".
"Not difficult" to get planning permission isn't applicable to all pieces of land - it depends where they are located, and, before committing yourself, you should first ask at the Mairie whether they'd grant it.
If it's a forevermore place for you to retire to, you should think of what your daughter might be doing in the future. If she intends to go to French University after her schooling, the location of your home should take this into account. From personal experience, it isn't straightforward for students (or the parents) whose home is in a rural area far from the city. Just sharing a personal thought....
Good luck in your search!
Old Mar 8th 2019, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We have a member who has bought a parcel of land and build his home.
He had a blog about the build but I can't find it.
I disagree with dmu because you have to get permission for each component of the build and display these on a board for all to see.
Getting permission to build on the land is just the start.
What do you mean by "a project" - due mean that you will be doing part of the build yourself?
Even if you are a builder/ electrician/ plumber you will not be allowed to "sign-off" any such work which must comply with french building standards.
You will find local companies that will do your build and they may even be able to find you a plot of land.
Please be aware that you would be unlikely to make a profit on your project - or perhaps even get your money back.
The property market is not like the UK market.
You would need to check out the VAT rules on new-builds.
There is a VAT (TVA) reduction if you use tradesmen to do the work.
Choosing the area and finding the land is just the start. The real homework begins after that.
Happy hunting
Old Mar 8th 2019, 5:56 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi
We have a member who has bought a parcel of land and build his home.
He had a blog about the build but I can't find it.
I disagree with dmu because you have to get permission for each component of the build and display these on a board for all to see.
Getting permission to build on the land is just the start.
What do you mean by "a project" - due mean that you will be doing part of the build yourself?
Even if you are a builder/ electrician/ plumber you will not be allowed to "sign-off" any such work which must comply with french building standards.
You will find local companies that will do your build and they may even be able to find you a plot of land.
Please be aware that you would be unlikely to make a profit on your project - or perhaps even get your money back.
The property market is not like the UK market.
You would need to check out the VAT rules on new-builds.
There is a VAT (TVA) reduction if you use tradesmen to do the work.
Choosing the area and finding the land is just the start. The real homework begins after that.
Happy hunting
Sorry for any confusion! I meant that the OP would firstly have to make sure that the land is "constructible" and this is not necessarily "not difficult" (= easy) and may be impossible. Some areas may be protected or intended for agricultural use, for example.... Once he knows that he is allowed to build, of course he must apply for proper planning permission, with official plans, etc...., which will be made public...

Old Mar 8th 2019, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

HERE you'll find the link to the house building blog that Cyrian referred to.
Incidentally from what I've heard and read I reckon his last statement should read, 'The real headache begins after that.'
In the years I've been here, several colleagues have had houses built, either from new or refurb of a a run-down property. The general consensus was that they wished they'd known earlier what they were getting themselves into. Which is one of the reasons we decided to take our time and look around for our completed coup de coeur property, in a favourable location that also made our hearts skip.
But heh, for those with a sense of adventure and who thrive under a certain level of stress, disregard what you've read or heard........ go for it!
Old Mar 8th 2019, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry dmu, I didn't read your post properly.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

I am the person Tweedpipe is referring to. :-) We bought land and built a house.

Absorb the French site https://www.forumconstruire.com and get a feel for how the locals manage, or not, a house build. The site is full of horror stories and those should not be ignored.

With regard to where to find land for sale, there are a few approaches you could try:

1. Trawl the local immobilier web sites. Which sites to use depends on which agencies cover your area. Century 21 listed the most land for sale in our region. https://www.fnaim.fr can be another good starting point.

2. Drive around and look out for "land for sale" signs. Many locals put up signs on the road side or on gates. These plots may not be listed anywhere else.

3. You may want to go directly to a local building company in your area. They often have land for sale or know of land for sale. You can go surprisingly far down the house design process before actually owning the final land.

4. Ask at local notaires and mayors for land for sale. Some notaires deal in the sale of land. Some mayors know more than the local estate agent ever will.

Be aware that claims of services to the site are rarely accurate, e.g. sewerage being available often translates to being possible.

Land can be available for sale for many many years. There is no rush to make an offer. Many of the plots we considered years ago are still for sale.

Last edited by graham.miln; Mar 9th 2019 at 6:17 am. Reason: Missing word.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham.miln
I am the person Tweedpipe is referring to. :-) We bought land and built a house.

Absorb the French site https://www.forumconstruire.com and get a feel for how the locals manage, or not, a house build. The site is full of horror stories and those should not be ignored.

With regard to where to find land for sale, there are a few approaches you could try:

1. Trawl the local immobilier web sites. Which sites to use depends on which agencies cover your area. Century 21 listed the most land for sale in our region. https://www.fnaim.fr can be another good starting point.

2. Drive around and look out for "land for sale" signs. Many locals put up signs on the road side or on gates. These plots may not be listed anywhere else.

3. You may want to go directly to a local building company in your area. They often have land for sale or know of land for sale. You can go surprisingly far down the house design process before actually owning the final land.

4. Ask at local notaires and mayors for land for sale. Some notaires deal in the sale of land. Some mayors know more than the local estate agent ever will.

Be aware that claims of services to the site are rarely accurate, e.g. sewerage being available often translates to being possible.

Land can be available for sale for many many years. There is no rush to make an offer. Many of the plots we considered years ago are still for sale.

Graham,
If you were starting out afresh now, with hindsight what actions would you take now that you didn't know about at the time. That sort of info could be invaluable to prospective land buyers on which to construct a property.
After watching the last of your excellent videos (Final Cut Pro?) the info in THIS link could also prevent much aggro prior to decision making.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Land purchase in France

I have been wondering what advice I could give.

Have your own notaire. The notaire need not be local to the region where you buying land.

While a notaire is unlikely to proactively protect your interests, notaires are charged with being fair and to answer questions. Do not expect a notaire to volunteer information.

Ask the notaire plenty of questions about risks and your responsibilities. Ensure you know how you could get out of the sale, if problems arise.

The main piece of advice I can give is this. Treat the "compromis de vente" as if it were the final contract. Signing the compromis is effectively buying the land.

Talk to a notaire before signing the compromis de vente. Never sign a compromis de vente with an estate agent.

You can add clauses to the compromis de vente. Clauses such as, if specific tasks are not done, the sale is cancelled. If the seller does not provide a bornage, the sale is cancelled.

If the compromis de vente does not include any clauses of your own, you are probably missing a trick.