Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Just moved to Cherbourg-en-Cotentin

Just moved to Cherbourg-en-Cotentin

Old Jul 31st 2018, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Jessica82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just moved to Cherbourg-en-Cotentin

Hi everyone. I have literally just moved to Cherbourg city with my daughter who is 2 next month and moy other children gorl age 14 and boys age 12 & 9. Were here as part of a world schooling experience. I have very little french language skills and looking to meet expats or English speaking people local to meet up to save mine and the children’s sanity as it feels quite isolating at the moment. 😊
Old Jul 31st 2018, 11:57 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just moved to Cherbourg-en-Cotentin

Originally Posted by Jessica82
Hi everyone. I have literally just moved to Cherbourg city with my daughter who is 2 next month and moy other children gorl age 14 and boys age 12 & 9. Were here as part of a world schooling experience. I have very little french language skills and looking to meet expats or English speaking people local to meet up to save mine and the children’s sanity as it feels quite isolating at the moment. 😊
Hi again! How does the "world schooling experience" work out in practice? The children all go to local State schools? To be honest, the two elder ones will find it difficult to settle in "Collège" if they don't speak French. The 9-year-old will soon pick up French in Primaire, and the youngest MIGHT be accepted in the local Maternelle if there's room. Normally the children start at 3... As said, you'll be meeting parents of their new-found friends one way or another, even if they don't become friends. If you've got free time, ask at the Mairie for a list of Clubs and Associations. You're sure to find at least one that you could join and meet people with similar interests. While understanding the need to speak English, I would advise trying to integrate into French life, and not look exclusively for expats!
Old Jul 31st 2018, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Jessica82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi again! How does the "world schooling experience" work out in practice? The children all go to local State schools? To be honest, the two elder ones will find it difficult to settle in "Collège" if they don't speak French. The 9-year-old will soon pick up French in Primaire, and the youngest MIGHT be accepted in the local Maternelle if there's room. Normally the children start at 3... As said, you'll be meeting parents of their new-found friends one way or another, even if they don't become friends. If you've got free time, ask at the Mairie for a list of Clubs and Associations. You're sure to find at least one that you could join and meet people with similar interests. While understanding the need to speak English, I would advise trying to integrate into French life, and not look exclusively for expats!
Hi again im not specifically looking for ex pats as would love for my children to live so to speak within our local community, the youngest is already picking it up as today we have had bojour the eldest are learning french along with myself from the wonderful world of you tube , i speak very limited but enough to get by. I want the children to be able to embrace the culture and lifestyle.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jessica
Well you're in a lovely place (though I think Cherbourg would be flattered to be called a city!)).
I don't know how many expats or English speakers there are, apart from tourists. But as others have said, the best way to embrace the culture and lifestyle is to try to get to know the locals. - talk to parents, find out what associations there are to join. It may take a while to get to know people because the French tend to be quite family-centred and self-contained.

You could also look here https://cherbourg.onvasortir.com/vue_sortie_all.php and see if there are any organised event's you'd like to join in with. I see there are several walks and outings arranged for August.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

DidiLulu974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!!
I just moved to Cherbourg myself but I already knew the city, having lived here for a couple of years some time ago! Even though I’m not à British expat or an American one, I do fluently speak English and I would gladly help you settle in in this lovely town!
I’ve got 2 kids (9ys old, 7 1/2ys old) and à third on the way!
How are you adjusting so far? I hope you found what you were looking for.

Just d’y let me know if I can be of any help!!
Old Nov 18th 2018, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Rave50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I just came back to Cherbourg after a long time away. I spent 6 years in London and have live the expat life in 5 countries so far.

I have lived and worked in English-speaking countries my whole adult life and am originally from Cherbourg. I'd be super happy to meet expats and create a social circle that is both supportive and fun.
Cherbourg is a beautiful place, but I understand how lonely it can feel if you don't speak the language or don't know anyone.

Do not hesitate to reach out.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 10:29 am
Just Joined

jules_h is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DidiLulu974
Hi there!!
I just moved to Cherbourg myself but I already knew the city, having lived here for a couple of years some time ago! Even though I’m not à British expat or an American one, I do fluently speak English and I would gladly help you settle in in this lovely town!
I’ve got 2 kids (9ys old, 7 1/2ys old) and à third on the way!
How are you adjusting so far? I hope you found what you were looking for.

Just d’y let me know if I can be of any help!!
Hi Sorry to jump on this thread but am requiring some help. We are just about to organise our move to Cherbourg-en-Cotentin in the new year. We are moving with 2 kids 6 and 18mths and 2 dogs.
what are some rental companies that do properties other than apartments as we are doing searches and it coming up with holiday houses.
Any assistance would be gratefully received

Old Jun 5th 2019, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jules_h

Hi Sorry to jump on this thread but am requiring some help. We are just about to organise our move to Cherbourg-en-Cotentin in the new year. We are moving with 2 kids 6 and 18mths and 2 dogs.
what are some rental companies that do properties other than apartments as we are doing searches and it coming up with holiday houses.
Any assistance would be gratefully received

Welcome to the France forum!
You may find something in the following link. For something other than short stay holiday properties, sounds like you'd have to search for 'long duree'.
Good luck.
https://www.leboncoin.fr/recherche/?...rg-en-Cotentin

Here's one for short or long term.
https://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/1626435531.htm/

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jun 5th 2019 at 11:07 am.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Have a look at yellow pages
Search for immobilier using 50100 in the où box and then go to the individual sites.
To rent somewhere you will need to supply lots of paperwork.
Contract of employment or proof of earnings (e.g. P60); current bank details; passports and birth and marriage certificates.
You will need to have a french bank account and tenants insurance.
You can't get an address until you have a bank account and you can't get a bank account unless you have an address.
A letter from the letting agent should allow the process to get started.
Check out the Credit Agricole Britline site for a list of documents required for opening a french bank account.
You can't have too many documents.
HTH

Last edited by cyrian; Jun 5th 2019 at 3:01 pm.