Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Motoring offences

Wikiposts

Motoring offences

Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motoring offences

All this looks like to me is a kind of official 'receipt' for confiscating the car.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

jsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst fully acknowledging that those posting on here know far more than I do, isn't L325 about taking a car off the road (impounding), whilst having a valid insurance is L324? If so, there appears no reference to driving without insurance in the documents my friend has produced.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
All this looks like to me is a kind of official 'receipt' for confiscating the car.
I agree. Plus the reason why, which is alcohol over 0.80.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with jsb, it looks as if all they are interested in is the drink/drive charge. Don't know whether there is any danger of the other matters rearing their heads either during the process or afterwards, I suppose it depends how thoroughly whoever deals with the case looks into it, but you'd think that if the gendarmes were intending to raise other charges they would have done it at the same time.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

L325-1 is driving without insurance. R325-1 is notification of vehicle being impounded.

http://www.codes-et-lois.fr/code-de-...article-l325-1

Les véhicules dont la circulation ou le stationnement en infraction aux dispositions du présent code ou aux règlements de police ou à la réglementation relative à l’assurance obligatoire des véhicules à moteur
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Garonne
L325-1 is driving without insurance. R325-1 is notification of vehicle being impounded.

http://www.codes-et-lois.fr/code-de-...article-l325-1

Les véhicules dont la circulation ou le stationnement en infraction aux dispositions du présent code ou aux règlements de police ou à la réglementation relative à l’assurance obligatoire des véhicules à moteur
I read this to mean, vehicles can be impounded EITHER for being driven illegally (e.g. excess alcohol, as is the case here) OR for parking illegally OR simply for being uninsured, i.e. it is a kind of catch-all statement saying that vehicles may be impounded for all kinds of different infringments that mean they are a danger or a nuisance to the public, and whatever the reason, these are the procedures that must be followed. Could be wrong but I imagine this same 'article' has to be quoted every time a vehicle has been impounded, whether for being illegally parked, uninsured or because it was being driven dangerously/too fast/drunkenly/whatever.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Mar 23rd 2013 at 9:31 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

Well she'll find out on Wednesday. Good luck to your friend Johann and she's so lucky to have your support.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

jsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond repute

My friend has been in touch - we're both very surprised at the outcome. She's been fined €200 (given until July to pay) and (I quote) "will also get my licence back in July". The person conducting the hearing said the punishment should have been more but recognised she wasn't in a position to pay. Not quite sure how I feel about this but I'm really grateful to BE and its supportive and knowledgeable contributors. Thank you!
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jsbach
My friend has been in touch - we're both very surprised at the outcome. She's been fined €200 (given until July to pay) and (I quote) "will also get my licence back in July". The person conducting the hearing said the punishment should have been more but recognised she wasn't in a position to pay. Not quite sure how I feel about this but I'm really grateful to BE and its supportive and knowledgeable contributors. Thank you!
Blimey. Well done JSB. Let's hope Sarkozy doesn't get off so lightly.
I can't help but express some amazement at such a light sentence given the offences, which are so very serious and could have landed her right in it if ever she'd had an accident. Will she be driving again, once she gets her licence back? Let's hope not, for her sake and for the sake of other road-users.
All credit to you, anyway, for being so supportive.
PB
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Blimey. Well done JSB. Let's hope Sarkozy doesn't get off so lightly.
I can't help but express some amazement at such a light sentence given the offences, which are so very serious and could have landed her right in it if ever she'd had an accident. Will she be driving again, once she gets her licence back? Let's hope not, for her sake and for the sake of other road-users.
All credit to you, anyway, for being so supportive.
PB
+1

@ JSB. Phew! Your friend has a true friend in you. (And a considerable amount of luck).
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:37 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsbach
Perhaps the relief she and you Johann must feel at this result may trigger for her a reflective moment to seek help with her drinking. She may decide to go solo, but if, after July, she commits another DUI offence then leniency won't be an option. Good luck to you both. This series of posts by very knowledgeable BE's has been quite amazing and the number of 'views' indicates how much it has captured people's attention. I have certainly learned a lot from these posts.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:47 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

All honour to JSB for supporting his friend and to the France rnembers for helping a stranger!
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

I doubt that such a reflective moment will happen, cjm. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to care about her own health and the demon of alcoholism inhabits every part of her thinking processes. She will not, unfortunately, learn a lesson from this.
I'm reasonably convinced, though, that she won't drive again. She had her car scrapped (her decision was based on removing evidence of its unroadworthiness) and I doubt that she can or will afford to buy another, even when she returns to the UK.
At the time of her arrest, she was told that she wasn't to leave France for (I think) 5 months. I wonder if anyone knows whether the conviction supersedes that and that she may now travel when she wishes?
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Well done JSB. What a lucky outcome.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Motoring offences

Please beware of the increasing number of radars on French roads and especially the mobile radars mounted near the registration plaques of mostly the Renault Megane type which will flash you when you overtake them ...

Karim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.