Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Mar 14th 2020, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

TheRetreat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I had to check that Champagne-Mouton wasn't actually in the Champagne region!
Why order on-line? If BE members in the Charente area can't give advice, the Pages Jaunes indicate the Gamm Vert store actually in the Commune, despite its small population. Maybe they deliver?
You might do well to post your question again as a New Thread in the main section below. Not every one reads this section and your query will get swallowed up by the following post.
HTH
Thank you for that. I have been buying locally but buying root ball plants is mostly done on line or as trade. Also I have always found it cheaper on line Ain England and assume the same would be true here.
Also I will certainly try creating a thread (now you have given me some confidence with this platform).
All very much appreciated.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 9:54 am
Just Joined

PurpleBargeKen2020 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody. Hope ypou are all well and coping with lockdown.

My name is Ken, am 55 and a retired mental health nurse looking to purchase and move to France later in the year or early next year. I will be looking at a property somewhere semi-rural and will have around £65,000 to spend. I'll have a lump sum in the bank and a monthly NHS pension. I will be on my own and can happily live frugally.

I used to have a holiday home near Parthenay in 2012 but sold that after about 4 years.

Any advice and support gratefully received. My French is basic but I was picking it up reasonably well at the time.

Cheers

Ken
Old Apr 12th 2020, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ken
Welcome to the forum.
I suggest that you read the FAQs at the top of the main page.
You should also post any questions in the main forum.
I think that you should consider renting in the short (or perhaps long term).
If you rent then you can move prior to 2021 and exercise your rights as an EU citizen.
As you will already know, the housing market in France is very different from the UK.
You will also have to consider healthcare depending what transpires from Brexit negotiations regarding healthcare cover - or not.
HTH

Old Apr 12th 2020, 11:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PurpleBargeKen2020
Hi everybody. Hope ypou are all well and coping with lockdown.

My name is Ken, am 55 and a retired mental health nurse looking to purchase and move to France later in the year or early next year. I will be looking at a property somewhere semi-rural and will have around £65,000 to spend. I'll have a lump sum in the bank and a monthly NHS pension. I will be on my own and can happily live frugally.

I used to have a holiday home near Parthenay in 2012 but sold that after about 4 years.

Any advice and support gratefully received. My French is basic but I was picking it up reasonably well at the time.

Cheers

Ken
Hi, and welcome to the forum from me, too!
As Cyrian suggests, post again in the main part of the forum below ("New Thread"") if the various FAQs below don't answer your specific questions or aren't up to date enough. Particularly concerning healthcare insurance for "non-actifs/pre-retirees"
I would hazard a guess and say that you're going to have to set aside a substantial budget for all the work that you'll have to do if you buy a property for 65.000€.
See you again in the main section below! (your post will be swallowed up by the next introduction and fewer members will see it....)
Old Apr 12th 2020, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has an NHS (Govt) pension and at the mo would be covered by the UK for healthcare but what after 2020?
Old Jul 12th 2020, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

rich13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hi
Old Jul 13th 2020, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Hi rich13
Old Jul 21st 2020, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Certacito65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

Tracy & David here.Currently live in Gloucester and just bought a mobile home in Pas De Calais.
We went for this option as a bit of a "Try before you buy" plan.
We have talked for years about buying somewhere in France to retire to but of course the reality is often different from the perception.

I will retire in 4 years so we will use this time to visit as often as we can and use the home as a base to explore further into France. I am a bit of a Military History geek with my main interest in the Battle of France 1940. Maybe one day I could use that to give guided tours for a bit of pocket money (Just a passing thought) I'm still serving soldier the wife (Tracy) is Ex RN so both accustomed to planning & preparation prevents...........

Hopefully looking for tips and advice in the future as we prepare to make the final jump.
Already wondering what you guys do for TV? 😀
Old Jul 21st 2020, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi David
It is a good idea to use the time before you retire to explore France with a view to a future move.
This section is just to say hello so you need to post your questions in the main body of the French forum.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 2:21 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Certacito65
Hello everyone,

Tracy & David here.Currently live in Gloucester and just bought a mobile home in Pas De Calais.
We went for this option as a bit of a "Try before you buy" plan.
We have talked for years about buying somewhere in France to retire to but of course the reality is often different from the perception.

I will retire in 4 years so we will use this time to visit as often as we can and use the home as a base to explore further into France. I am a bit of a Military History geek with my main interest in the Battle of France 1940. Maybe one day I could use that to give guided tours for a bit of pocket money (Just a passing thought) I'm still serving soldier the wife (Tracy) is Ex RN so both accustomed to planning & preparation prevents...........

Hopefully looking for tips and advice in the future as we prepare to make the final jump.
Already wondering what you guys do for TV? 😀
Hi, and welcome to the forum from me, too!
You don't say whether you're fluent in French - this would be necessary in order to compete with English-speaking French candidates applying for jobs. No diploma is necessary as such, but a google search found one of several unofficial sites:
https://www.imaginetonfutur.com/guide-touristique.html
which says that applicants are advised to have a Degree in History and Languages.You would have to get your French up to the level necessary to guide French/Belgian visitors, and German would be useful too. As you would only be considering doing it for pocket money, it wouldn't be important to you that, if a Tourist Office accepted you, it wouldn't be full-time work. However many hours you would work, you would have to set up a French business structure (Micro-entreprise or the like) in order to work legally.
But, as suggested by Cyrian, post again in the main section below ("New Thread"), mentioning whether you've got children of your own and/or step-children (an important Inheritance issue in France).
P.S. Forgot to mention that others will be able to advise on TV when you post again. I have French satellite TV with cinema options (always in Original Version with Sub-Titles) and make do with British News on the French TV (or sometimes BBC World if the latter sounds too biassed)...

Last edited by dmu; Jul 21st 2020 at 2:28 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Certacito65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers guys, will look to post questions on another thread.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

corawilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hi everyone, I currently live in York. However, wanting to rent my home and move to Correze as a single 50year old with two little dogs. This move won't be till May 2021, where I plan on renting first. Could anyone guide me to forums to communicate with expats in. that area of France, things I should do to make my move easier. Also while I do not need to work, dories anyone knows how difficult it would bed to find any P.T Jobs?

Thanking you all for any help and advice

Cx
Old Dec 5th 2020, 7:05 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by corawilla
Hi everyone, I currently live in York. However, wanting to rent my home and move to Correze as a single 50year old with two little dogs. This move won't be till May 2021, where I plan on renting first. Could anyone guide me to forums to communicate with expats in. that area of France, things I should do to make my move easier. Also while I do not need to work, dories anyone knows how difficult it would bed to find any P.T Jobs?

Thanking you all for any help and advice

Cx
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in a New Thread (button top left) in the main forum below, as this is simply an introduction thread, and your post will get swallowed up by the next ones.
There are a fair number of members in the Corrèze area who can give regional advice but they might not necessarily look in the Introduction Thread....
By May 2021, we'll know what the conditions will be for UK citizens "immigrating" to the EU, but it's likely you'll have to apply for a Visa from the French Consulate. It might be complicated if you haven't got a job lined up and are "inactive". Can't help on the employment front (sorry, not sure what P.T. stands for - in my day it meant Physical Training), but how is your French? Your level must be fairly high, as prospective employers would give priority to an English-speaking French candidate for any jobs going - that's how it is....
You'd also have to look into new post-Brexit regulations (if any) for your dogs and make sure that your initial rental accepts pets. Be aware that, unless you take out a short-term lease on a furnished rental, French estate agents/landlords require proof of a regular income 3-4 times the rent before considering your application, unless you have a Guarantor. Savings in the bank don't count in their eyes....
You'd have to take out private healthcare insurance from Day 1 until you're entitled to enter the French S.S. System.
Sorry to have got carried away! Post again below with the above in mind! We're all here to advise and help on "national" issues!
Old Jan 1st 2021, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Tom4man is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

I have just joined this forum, I live in the UK and bought a house in the Pays De La Loire region near Andoullie some 4 or 5 years ago, we are slowly learning French but with work getting in the way its a slow slow process.

Thanks

Tom
Old Jan 26th 2021, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Scotchtony is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I'm Tony, my wife and I are planning to move and retire to France from the UK in early 2024. We are on the first steps of a long journey. The first one being finances of course. Brexit has made it even more complicated than it was. Expect a few dumb questions from me over the next couple of years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.