Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Jan 18th 2012, 10:53 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Originally Posted by Ansett
Hi everyone

Just found this site today, we are coming to France in April for 3 weeks to see where we want to live for a year. My husband would like to be around Nantes, if anyone has any information on the region it would be greatly appreciated.

We have been to France a couple of times and really like the country, we have been travelling for almost 5 years, 2 years in BC Canada, 5 months in Scotland, and 2 years in Bulgaria with time spent in a lot of other European countries.

We are travelling with our 2 dogs which we flew out from Australia with us nearly 5 years ago. They have pet passports, all their jabs, rabies etc and are 11 and 12 years old. Looking for a pet friendly place to rent for 12 months. Do you think we will have a problem renting someplace with dogs?

I have done a fair bit of research, but like all things we really have to come over for a few weeks to have a look at the area.

Thanks for any information

Cheers

Ansett
Hi Ansett, welcome. We live about an hour+ south from Nantes, near the coast. It may help if you wrote a list for yourself. Can't see dogs being a problem on a long rent. PM me if I can help. Lots of Brits in the Pays de la Loire; Mayenne, Vouvant, Mervent very popular 'cos it reminds of 'home'. But goodly number round here also.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Ansett is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi cjm,

Thanks for the welcome and the information, good idea making a list except I don't know that region of France at all. We have spent time mostly in the north east, the middle and down south in Sarlat.

Cheers

Ansett
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi Choo-OOO,
I've got a lovely clasp knife made in Nontron (you know the kind where you slice off the top of your thumb every time you open and close it - I suspect this is the French equivalent of using leeches to bleed people). Lovely area tho' along the valley of the Dronne and nearby towns like Brantome and Riberac.

Our place is just across the border in 16 Charente, in fact the demarcation line between Vichy France (Dordogne) and occupied France (Charente) went right through our village.

Take care
Blackie
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:13 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ansett
Hi cjm,

Thanks for the welcome and the information, good idea making a list except I don't know that region of France at all. We have spent time mostly in the north east, the middle and down south in Sarlat.

Cheers

Ansett
Sarlat and the area around is stunning, visited the region a time back. List of must have, don't want and a middle section optional/not certain. Remote or close to amenities is an obvious one. Our village has a bread van daily and a bar that the commune runs, it opens Sunday after Messe and locals play Belote with passion.
Do you need/want land? Can you cope with maintenance of said. If young no probs, but older peeps may not want. As I suggested, make a list. Leave area for moment, just put down what you want from an area. As I said contact me if I can help.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 7:16 am
Just Joined

GJHem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there one and all.

After a few years of thinking will we, won't we, we've taken the plunge and bought a place just outside Saint-Mathieu in the Haute-Vienne. Within 2 hours of completion (great fun in the notaires as we bought from two brothers who fell out years ago and no longer speak to each other) we had a builder (comes on recommendation) in and we're just waiting for costings on the work needed.

We've spent a lot of time in the area as we know quite a few people just the other side of Oradour-Sur-Vayres.

As we're still working in the UK, the plan is to get it to get the building work done and then complete the rest ourselves. We'll probably spend Mar - Oct in France before coming back to the UK for the winter........however it could be that we stay permanently, who knows what will happen in the future.

Anyhow, enough of my ramblings this morning and have just joined to say hello.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 4:29 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GJHem
Hi there one and all.

After a few years of thinking will we, won't we, we've taken the plunge and bought a place just outside Saint-Mathieu in the Haute-Vienne. Within 2 hours of completion (great fun in the notaires as we bought from two brothers who fell out years ago and no longer speak to each other) we had a builder (comes on recommendation) in and we're just waiting for costings on the work needed.

We've spent a lot of time in the area as we know quite a few people just the other side of Oradour-Sur-Vayres.

As we're still working in the UK, the plan is to get it to get the building work done and then complete the rest ourselves. We'll probably spend Mar - Oct in France before coming back to the UK for the winter........however it could be that we stay permanently, who knows what will happen in the future.

Anyhow, enough of my ramblings this morning and have just joined to say hello.
Welcome again
Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

panner is just really nicepanner is just really nicepanner is just really nicepanner is just really nicepanner is just really nicepanner is just really nicepanner is just really nicepanner is just really nice

Hi Everyone
We have had a property here in the Loire Area for 10 years and finally made the permanent move here in 2009 following early retirement.
We are in rural parts just outside a small village (400 pop) doing the 'good life' thing and really enjoying the slower pace of life.
Language is the only problem we have although have managed to master most of the administration i.e. Health, Tax etc. French language learning is definitely a hard slog
Anyway got to bring some more logs in, bye for now

Geoff
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by panner
Hi Everyone
We have had a property here in the Loire Area for 10 years and finally made the permanent move here in 2009 following early retirement.
We are in rural parts just outside a small village (400 pop) doing the 'good life' thing and really enjoying the slower pace of life.
Language is the only problem we have although have managed to master most of the administration i.e. Health, Tax etc. French language learning is definitely a hard slog
Anyway got to bring some more logs in, bye for now

Geoff
Welcome to the forum Its a veritable mad house here but thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable and there is plenty of useful knowledge to gain from the other members if you get any issues give me a shout.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

Bonjour tout le monde,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am French and currently live in the UK and have done for over 15 years. My main British Expats stomping ground is actually the Canada forum as my English husband and I will be (hopefully) emigrating there by the end of this year.

I thought I'd have also a look at this forum, who knows, I may be able to help here and there with anything French related, with the added bonus that I will also understand the British perspective, what with having been an honorary Brit since 1995

I am from the Jura/Ain border, so not somewhere that is a big Brit magnet (the winters can be very harsh), but I have also lived in Lyon and Chambéry, and know some other areas of France reasonably well. All my family is still in France...

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell!

Last edited by nerdherd; Jan 29th 2012 at 12:36 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 1:46 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nerdherd
Bonjour tout le monde,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am French and currently live in the UK and have done for over 15 years. My main British Expats stomping ground is actually the Canada forum as my English husband and I will be (hopefully) emigrating there by the end of this year.

I thought I'd have also a look at this forum, who knows, I may be able to help here and there with anything French related, with the added bonus that I will also understand the British perspective, what with having been an honorary Brit since 1995

I am from the Jura/Ain border, so not somewhere that is a big Brit magnet (the winters can be very harsh), but I have also lived in Lyon and Chambéry, and know some other areas of France reasonably well. All my family is still in France...

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell!
Given where you say you are, you're not a Baggies fan are you? Welcome.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

Baggies? I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about! Am guessing football? Or perhaps cricket? Will google that later.

Was just using Albion in the Shakespearian way :-)
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:13 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nerdherd
Baggies? I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about! Am guessing football? Or perhaps cricket? Will google that later.

Was just using Albion in the Shakespearian way :-)
Football it was, West Bromwich Albion, so welcome a second time. Not delved into Shakespeare for a long time, but Perfidious Albion rings a dim bell in this gnarled old head.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the welcome :-)

To be honest, I can't remember the exact quote either!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Jill Rees is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hello!

I moved to Paris in September last year and have finally managed to find an appartment and some work teaching. Whatson for English people in Paris?

Jill

Originally Posted by Herman
Hello!
We moved to Paris a year ago. We agreed some time ago that one day we want to live in France as a few years ago we bought a ski apt in the Alps and we akways loved the country. I actually took a job with a large French company so that I could work on our grand plan of eventually securing a head office posting to France on expat terms (we previously had an expat posting to Sydney and have experienced the benefits!). After 2 years with the company I achieved that goal and we are now in France officially for 3 years. It looks like we could stay as one of the Directors of another business unit approached me last week as he wants an international team and he asked me to call him if we decide we want to stay in France. We are a yound family with a 21 month old daughter and our second, a boy, will be born in our local French hospital in May. We are still not completely decided whether we will ultimately stay in France, depends on the terms of any job I am offered and what the alternative might be in the UK. However, we do love France as much as ever, its diversity and culture, the attitudes to young children, the people we have met and the obsession with food and wine.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jill Rees
Hello!

I moved to Paris in September last year and have finally managed to find an appartment and some work teaching. Whatson for English people in Paris?

Jill
Not in Paris myself Jill but welcome to the Forum, There is a Netball team which is English girls like based in the Paris area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.