Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Corporal punishment

Corporal punishment

Old Sep 13th 2011, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice
Default Re: Corporal punishment

Again thanks for all the info, my wife spent half an hour on the phone to the the parents rep, and it seems a snowball has started rolling and it could be the straw the broke the camel's back so to speak.

The more I speak to other parents the more there seems to be alot of anti-directeur feeling and a parents meeting is at this moment being organised by all the parents representatives round ours for tomorrow night, with invites going to the other parents who have issues.

And thanks for the info on the recording of conversations, it's seems the directeur has a habit of getting creative with previous discussions, and calling people liars so any meeting my wife and I have with him, I may wish to have an aide memoire

Last edited by cuthbert; Sep 13th 2011 at 8:14 am.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 8:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Good!!
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you are moving to more positive footing

DMU I am not an opponent of mixed year classes, just the crossover between maternelle and elementaire...
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would complain (verbally and in writing) directly to the Rectorat. It has to be nipped in the bud quickly.

The problem with other parents is that they will complain long and hard about it between themselves but will rarely go the full hog to get the matter seen to. If you get the rectorat involved, they would most probably have him summoned and or will involve l'inspecteur academique which should be enough to put a stop to his bullying.

Failing that pay him a visit yourself, if you know what I mean
Old Sep 15th 2011, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice

I hear ya , we have a meeting with him tonight so we'll see how it goes.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:56 am
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cuthbert
I hear ya , we have a meeting with him tonight so we'll see how it goes.
Just to lighten things up for a moment...I thought of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZMoB6ms2mE

Good luck with your follow-through. I taught all my working life and HATE bullying of any kind.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Well now that was a turn up for the books; within 30 seconds of the meeting starting he said he'd thought about what happened most probably due to my reaction at the time and realised he had erred. He didn't quite go as far to say he used too much force on my son, but he'd given it some thought and realised that the message he'd given to my son was probably confusing and the fact he was de-stabilised by a new environment etc most probably compounded the issue.

We had a plan to go into the meeting not to try and change his mind or to see our point of view, as that would get nowhere and would just end in recriminations. We just wanted him to be aware that we don't appretiate that type of action. We then had planned to ask about him and what we could do with the class for Jacob to better integrate, but the directors stating he'd reflected on the situation at the opening stage and frank admission of error totally took the wind out of our sails. We then had a good 20 minute discussion about the class the problems he has trying to balance student numbers with the state and keeping classes when they fall below certain numbers.

Came away from the meeting with a slightly different perspective of Le Directeur, I think he's somewhat introverted with maybe communication issues, which is exacerbated in the morning by trying to organise umpteen kids, parents asking questions and would contribute to his seemingly abrupt nature.
It doesn't excuse his actions, and it bears watching but I think he may need some help instead of militant parents bearing down on him. And though I still won't accept anyone what I consider harming my son, try and see if I can maybe promote a less confrontational style of communication and so he can understand conflict resolution, not with adults though with kids.

So all in all not a bad day, and that coupled with the fact that we found out I'm having a daughter in January all pretty good. Santé
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:12 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear it's all turned out well in the end!
And félicitations for the New Year arrival of Jacob's sister!
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

great news all round
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:33 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuthbert
Well now that was a turn up for the books; within 30 seconds of the meeting starting he said he'd thought about what happened most probably due to my reaction at the time and realised he had erred. He didn't quite go as far to say he used too much force on my son, but he'd given it some thought and realised that the message he'd given to my son was probably confusing and the fact he was de-stabilised by a new environment etc most probably compounded the issue.

We had a plan to go into the meeting not to try and change his mind or to see our point of view, as that would get nowhere and would just end in recriminations. We just wanted him to be aware that we don't appretiate that type of action. We then had planned to ask about him and what we could do with the class for Jacob to better integrate, but the directors stating he'd reflected on the situation at the opening stage and frank admission of error totally took the wind out of our sails. We then had a good 20 minute discussion about the class the problems he has trying to balance student numbers with the state and keeping classes when they fall below certain numbers.

Came away from the meeting with a slightly different perspective of Le Directeur, I think he's somewhat introverted with maybe communication issues, which is exacerbated in the morning by trying to organise umpteen kids, parents asking questions and would contribute to his seemingly abrupt nature.
It doesn't excuse his actions, and it bears watching but I think he may need some help instead of militant parents bearing down on him. And though I still won't accept anyone what I consider harming my son, try and see if I can maybe promote a less confrontational style of communication and so he can understand conflict resolution, not with adults though with kids.

So all in all not a bad day, and that coupled with the fact that we found out I'm having a daughter in January all pretty good. Santé
my daughter is 30 now so it is many years since I was at a school, but as others say, this appears to be an unhappy situation for a number of people, more especially your son, who's whole scholastic future could be effected by one mistake.
as the guy has admitted he is under pressure, is it possible to alleviate that pressure by volunteer parents organising the children first thing in the morning and getting sorted into class.? This would leave time for le director to be able to talk to the parents. Mind, this could be only a short term resolution as there still seems to be something wrong and the PTA should surely be at the forefront on this.?

best of the luck with the new arrival, more sleepless nights, but isnt that what parents are for!
Old Sep 17th 2011, 7:35 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Domino
, is it possible to alleviate that pressure by volunteer parents organising the children first thing in the morning and getting sorted into class.? This would leave time for le director to be able to talk to the parents.
Hi, in France, except for the very first day of school for newcomers in Maternelle/Primaire, parents are not allowed through the school gate. The Directeurs/trices are available after school but parents must make an appointment first.
School premises during school hours are out-of-bounds to parents and even volunteers supervising homework after school are vetted.... I
Old Oct 20th 2011, 8:22 am
Robert

Kontiki is on a distinguished road

I asked two of my local teachers and they say it is forbidden to touch children at all, unless the child is going to harm themselves or are in danger of being harmed. They say this ruling has been in force for a long time.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that info.

Since this all kicked off, my wife and I have come to realise that the directeur was someone who got pushed into the headmasters role. Very few teachers want to come to a tiny village, just across the border from Geneva where the cost of living is equivalent or worse than Paris. When the previous head left it seems it was a case of who has the most experience, so by default ended up with the job. He is harangued daily by militant parents and both my wife and I since the original episode have tried to come across as a friendly face in the morning, and it seems to be paying dividends. He's not a bad guy, and after one parents evening I feel he's not just having to deal with too many kids in one class, but also the attitude of some parents doesn't help. It still doesn't excuse what happened, but it's somewhat water under the bridge.