Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Old Jan 1st 2015, 4:56 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WINTER FUEL ALLOWANCE PETITION

In the scale of the UK social budget the winter fuel payment to those not in the UK is a pittance !

The landed gentry in parliament are more than happy though to carry on sending millions in aid to county's where the bulk of it is used to buy yet more arms etc.

As this is a universal payment and as such the EU said it must be paid to all those who qualify (hence we eventually received it) how comes they can now stop it ?
Old Jan 1st 2015, 5:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFR
As this is a universal payment and as such the EU said it must be paid to all those who qualify (hence we eventually received it) how comes they can now stop it ?
Because, under the new rules, you no longer qualify as you live in Spain.

The only chance is if the EU decide that the changes to the rules cannot be retrospective.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Because they changed it from being universal to applying a temperature test.

This is a BBC link exposing how they managed to change it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23065510

Last edited by bobd22; Jan 1st 2015 at 5:19 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

The payment of regular benefits to (Working) EU migrants is a foundation of EU law. It would be no different if you went to Germany to work and your wife and kids are in UK. You would pay German taxes and receive the regular German benefits and as such there's be no problem sending it back to UK. This is all part of the free movement concept.

As stated above there are more important issues that don't get a mention when it comes to wastage of taxpayers money. UK is not alone in that aspect.

It will be interesting to see if the attempt to stop this payment is actually successful.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was a done deal? I also agree your your comments on free movement. However I seem to remember it was being given to those not paying taxes or even working initialy, although the current government I believe have started correcting that issue? I would not expect to turn up in Spain pay nothing into their system and expect them to give me benefits. I would expect my country of origin where I have paid my taxes etc to honour their comitments however. They do seem to be trying to wriggle out of that these days in my opinion.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Originally Posted by Chris'nJulie
It's a piddling, trivial amount, anyway. Fuel oil costs me between 1K and 3K Euros a year, depending upon the severity of the winter, and wood for burning in the stove and cooker, between 1K and 2K Euros, not to mention the increased electricity usage. It's a darn sight colder here, in the winter, than in the Former UK, and £200 is a mere drop in the ocean. Personally, I believe that a British subject, who had contributed throughout his/her working life, should be entitled to both the state pension, and any additional benefits, regardless of their chosen location in retirement.
Either you should insulate more or it may be an idea to down size??
Old Jan 1st 2015, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cyrian

Starting the year as you mean to go on I see!

Old Jan 1st 2015, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 1st 2015, 9:20 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, butting in from the France Forum, and as a matter of interest,
do Spanish OAPs systematically receive a Spanish equivalent to the WFA? I stand to be corrected, but I guess not.
French OAPs certainly don't, they have to apply for social aid, and a lot of paperwork is involved in order to justify that they are in financial need.
Logically, why should European expats systematically receive WFA from the UK, when the nationals of their chosen country get nothing from their own Government? (or only with a lot of bureaucratic hassle).
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough

Yes and are currently receiving it but it is going to be stopped this year!´´
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Spanish OAPs dont it is from the British Government where we all paid out taxes and into the social system. UK pensioners receive it and so do we in Spain but it is set to be stopped this year.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

This the link to the petition. I dont believe that the original one I sent works.

http://rivoice.net/petitions/expats-to- ... tries.html

BBC News - Spending Review: 'Temperature test' for winter payments

Last edited by surreygirl; Jan 2nd 2015 at 6:19 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Some of the comments on that petition site are laughable, complaining because you're stuck in a house you can't sell or that it's cold because you bought a house with no insulation is the UK government's problem because ?

The best of the lot though is the one complaining that it's so hot in Summer that they need the WFA to pay for the air conditioning - priceless
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Love some of the comments on that petition Surreygirl.

My favourite is the one complaining that it's so hot in Spain in the Summer that the WFA is needed to pay for the air conditioning - priceless

I think I'll post it to the Daily Mail, that should get UK into a complete frenzy

EDIT:

BTW diverting people to a fringe 3rd party web site for this sort of thing is hardly likely to enhance the chances of success.

If you really feel the need to sign a petition this is the place to do it but it will be a waste of time.

https://submissions.epetitions.direc.../signature/new

Last edited by Im_and_Er; Jan 2nd 2015 at 6:58 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I and E if you really want to wind up the UK I would post on the Guardian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.