Help with A grade exam in WA

Old May 7th 2008, 6:26 am
Just Joined

stamford 4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help with A grade exam in WA

Hello
Well done with your a class results,I am in Mindarie with my wife and 2 children ,not working yet but got practical on friday at Swann Taffe .Had my head in regs book for 2 weeks ,Any advice would be greatly appreciated,i am nervous to say the
least, who do you work for?do you like it?. Thanks Steve,
Old May 7th 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Help with A grade exam in WA

Steve,

The examination is not to bad, you have 4 hours to complete 6 practical tasks, the trade assessor stuck by the 4 hours as some one had previously complained that their mate had been given 30 minutes extra and he had 4 hours on the dot, therefore all exams are 4 hours exactly now.

4 Mandatory tasks and 2 additional tasks.
Ensure you complete the 4 mandatory

1 Test 2 portable piece of equipment (Irons) check cables, elements, earth continuity etc and work out the wattage show all calculations in the book provided

2 Wire up an industrial 240v 16 Amp socket, distribution board, main switch and MCB's make sure you use the grommets in the trunking and fuse board as they are both metal.

3 Wire up 2 domestic sockets 1 light and 2 2 way switches with intermediate switch also wire up the fuse board with MEN link install RCD's and MCB's.

4 Test a domestic installation via a test board which the instructor simulates faults on various circuits, also high light any deviations from the regs.

5 Work out voltage drop on a cable and say if it is in accordance with the regs, won't be. Instructor will give you cable calc sheets and you need to say which one is suitable.

6 Wire up DOL or Star Delta motor with additional start stop buttons all done with quick connect cables and plugs.

Written is Regulation questions and general electrical knowledge although there is a few indepth electrical questions, but appartently it depends on which paper you get.

Best of luck

Brian
Old May 7th 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

shar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to all

Congratulations and well done on passing your A grade licence, we are just applying for visa after OH passed his vetassess practical, I bet he is really looking forward to doing the A grade when we (hopefully) get to Perth. Well done again.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all

Hi Stamford 4, we not far from you in Currambine, Briggall has pretty much covered it for you, but when hubbie gets home from work i will get him to reply to your email, how are you finding Perth??

Sam
Old May 8th 2008, 12:31 am
Just Joined

stamford 4 is on a distinguished road

hi,
Thanks brigall,will take that on board .Thanks Sam ,we are settling in ok had few ups and downs but so does everyone ,you just go to the ocean and think yes this aint bad at all.My girls have settled into school ok St Andrews in Clarkson lovely school.We take one day at a time,thanks for the replies
steve.
Old May 11th 2008, 6:20 am
Just Joined

doginthebath is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Help with A grade exam in WA

Hello everyone.

This is my first post and from what I'm reading I am sat in a pretty big proverbial boat with quite a lot of Poms!

I'm in WA and I have my Electrical Fitter practical exam in under 2 weeks time. I found this forum and eternally grateful for all the feedback people have put up.

I was wondering if anybody else has sat their practical test yet? Do the tasks differ to the ones Brigall has mentioned on this thread?

I shall of course let all you folks know how I get on!!

Chris
Old May 11th 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by doginthebath
Hello everyone.

This is my first post and from what I'm reading I am sat in a pretty big proverbial boat with quite a lot of Poms!

I'm in WA and I have my Electrical Fitter practical exam in under 2 weeks time. I found this forum and eternally grateful for all the feedback people have put up.

I was wondering if anybody else has sat their practical test yet? Do the tasks differ to the ones Brigall has mentioned on this thread?

I shall of course let all you folks know how I get on!!

Chris
Chris,
Your test is similar however instead of testing and inspection and wiring the domestic installation You will be given 3 armatures which you will have to test with a growler and write a report on their condition.
You will also have to test a couple of motors.
That was in last years tests, I can not forsee it having changed much.
Hope this helps and best of luck.

Brian
Wire up a star delta system or a direct on line with remote start stop.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Damn, I like the sound of the other test!

Not since my apprenticeship days have I tested a motor that intricately down to the armature, and even then we didn't use a growler. I'm sure plenty of swotting up and talking to some of my old timer ex-colleagues will help though. Cheers Brigall!

Chris
Old May 28th 2008, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

Damn, I like the sound of the other test!

Not since my apprenticeship days have I tested a motor that intricately down to the armature, and even then we didn't use a growler. I'm sure plenty of swotting up and talking to some of my old timer ex-colleagues will help though. Cheers Brigall!

Chris
i'm in same boat as you chris, doing my head in trying to remember what a growler even is! let me know how you get on with the exams (and what they entail !). take it you work as a maintenance spark??
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leeob77
i'm in same boat as you chris, doing my head in trying to remember what a growler even is! let me know how you get on with the exams (and what they entail !). take it you work as a maintenance spark??
Welcome leeob,

I took my test last week and I failed! The growler beat me and call me a numpty but I got the fluorescent fitting wrong too, the fella wouldn't even let me turn it on! I don't think I even did them in my college days. I was wiring up the 2 tubes in parallel but now I'm thinking I should've done it in series, any assistance would be geatly appreciated!

I had a couple of different questions too, here's my 6:

1. Test 2 irons and write a report on them
2. Test 3 armatures for open circuit, short circuit and earth faults
3. Wire a DOL motor through a starter with 2 remote start stop units
4. Do the internal wiring of a 240V single phase capacitor start motor
5. Wire up 2 18/20W fluro fittings using a 36/40W ballast.
6. Determine the primary and secondary windings of a step down transformer and connect Star/Delta to a 415V supply.

So yeah I ballsed up Q2 n Q5. I'd read up on growlers beforehand but none of the theory was happening whilst I was doing it, and I'm sure I didn't have 3 perfectly decent armatures.

And yes I'm a maintenance sparky, hopefully I'll be able to resume doing that in the not too distant future too!

Let us know how you get on in your practical.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Welcome leeob,

I took my test last week and I failed! The growler beat me and call me a numpty but I got the fluorescent fitting wrong too, the fella wouldn't even let me turn it on! I don't think I even did them in my college days. I was wiring up the 2 tubes in parallel but now I'm thinking I should've done it in series, any assistance would be geatly appreciated!

I had a couple of different questions too, here's my 6:

1. Test 2 irons and write a report on them
2. Test 3 armatures for open circuit, short circuit and earth faults
3. Wire a DOL motor through a starter with 2 remote start stop units
4. Do the internal wiring of a 240V single phase capacitor start motor
5. Wire up 2 18/20W fluro fittings using a 36/40W ballast.
6. Determine the primary and secondary windings of a step down transformer and connect Star/Delta to a 415V supply.

So yeah I ballsed up Q2 n Q5. I'd read up on growlers beforehand but none of the theory was happening whilst I was doing it, and I'm sure I didn't have 3 perfectly decent armatures.

And yes I'm a maintenance sparky, hopefully I'll be able to resume doing that in the not too distant future too!

Let us know how you get on in your practical.
Don't let it get you down mate!
The fitting should be wired up in seris as you say with the starter in between the lamps. Best of luck next time.
Brigall
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brigall
Don't let it get you down mate!
The fitting should be wired up in seris as you say with the starter in between the lamps. Best of luck next time.
Brigall
Cheers, Brigall.

It's just the waiting for another month to do the re-sit that's frustrating. Got some info on the fluorescent fitting now which is much appreciated so just need to master growlers now in 3 weeks without actually touching one!!

Does anyone have some experience with Growlers they'd like to share? Just curious as to how easy it is to detect faults.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

Cheers, Brigall.

It's just the waiting for another month to do the re-sit that's frustrating. Got some info on the fluorescent fitting now which is much appreciated so just need to master growlers now in 3 weeks without actually touching one!!

Does anyone have some experience with Growlers they'd like to share? Just curious as to how easy it is to detect faults.
be interested to see if anyone can remember using one!
i know i was taught how to use one as an apprentice but have never even seen one since!
if nobody can give any advice other than the theory shown on internet i know a company that do motor rewinds. will see if they will refresh my memory and i'll pass on the info.
lee.

UPDATE - just spoke to my rewind guy. going to see him next week for a lesson in armature testing / growlers etc. will take some pics and try my best to post something to help anyone that needs it.
hope this helps.
lee.

Last edited by leeob77; Jun 5th 2008 at 1:03 pm. Reason: updated
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leeob77
be interested to see if anyone can remember using one!
i know i was taught how to use one as an apprentice but have never even seen one since!
if nobody can give any advice other than the theory shown on internet i know a company that do motor rewinds. will see if they will refresh my memory and i'll pass on the info.
lee.

UPDATE - just spoke to my rewind guy. going to see him next week for a lesson in armature testing / growlers etc. will take some pics and try my best to post something to help anyone that needs it.
hope this helps.
lee.
Top Idea Lee!

I used your initiative and e-mailed 3 rewind places near to me. 1 wrote back the next day a couple of hours later I was down there being shown all I need to know! Fantastic.

I shall be back in the test oozing confidence (never a good thing!)
Old Jun 12th 2008, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Hey,

has anyone seen this thread?

I wish I had!

Speaking of which, what else do people know about the Short Electrical Fitting Exam?