Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

best license for maintenance electrician?? please help!!!

best license for maintenance electrician?? please help!!!

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice
Default best license for maintenance electrician?? please help!!!

hi all.
really unsure of best thing to do so all help greatfully received.
i work as a maintenance electrician here in the uk. done hardly any domestic work. mainly all industrial. we are going to perth and looks like the license i would have gone for is the fitter one. but i dont want to limit my options. also if i do take the fitters license is it possible to also get mechanic endorsement later?
thanks
lee.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: best license for maintenance electrician?? please help!!!

If you get the fitters license you can still apply at a later date for the Mechanics license direct to Energy safety if you have been working for a Electrical company and can prove you have done installation work.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brigall
If you get the fitters license you can still apply at a later date for the Mechanics license direct to Energy safety if you have been working for a Electrical company and can prove you have done installation work.
do you have to sit the mechanics exam for the extra endorsement? (to be honest i think i'd pass that one with more ease than the fitter one!)
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:14 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeob77
do you have to sit the mechanics exam for the extra endorsement? (to be honest i think i'd pass that one with more ease than the fitter one!)
the quickest route would be via peer in adeliade
do you have an artc saying general electrician ?? if so go for your mechanics licence in SA as i`tll let yu work on either installations or maintanance
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
the quickest route would be via peer in adeliade
do you have an artc saying general electrician ?? if so go for your mechanics licence in SA as i`tll let yu work on either installations or maintanance
hi steve, was going to send artc application as soon as evidence of visa was in passport. i had filled it in as electrical fitter to be honest. mainly because my visa asco code was as electrician special class - not general electrician and the tra already assessed me on that? i was thinking it would be easier to just go and take the fitter exams in WA. read everyones posts (inc yours - cheers!) and pretty confident i would be OK. could at least get work then. and if need be would add the mechanic endorsement later?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leeob77
Yes you would need to sit the practical section only.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Mitchell 1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lee
I am also a maintenance electrician and from the research I have done on this subject I believe you want to be applying for the electrical mechanics licence or you may struggle to get work if you are only classed as a fitter.
I take it you work on connecting and disconnecting motors? and fault finding on equipment? if so you just need to include evidence of making live connections.

hope this helps

Mike
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981
Hi Lee
I am also a maintenance electrician and from the research I have done on this subject I believe you want to be applying for the electrical mechanics licence or you may struggle to get work if you are only classed as a fitter.
I take it you work on connecting and disconnecting motors? and fault finding on equipment? if so you just need to include evidence of making live connections.

hope this helps

Mike
know where you are coming from but dont think getting work will really be an issue. there are loads of jobs advertised for electrical fitters (look on seek.com.au). i think this can depend on the state you are planning to move to also. think i'll do the fitter qualification first then the mechanic one if it seems necessary. a lot of jobs just ask for A grade license so the fitter one should still be ok?