Andrew.

Have you had any success ?

Tyke
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

andrewdiane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car import to Cyprus

Hello Tyke

Not as yet, I managed to contact Micheal and sent him the details of the car but he has not got back to me yet but he said he was definitly interested

thanks for your help again - Andrew
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

VicMackey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Tyke, Can you help?

I am looking at selling a car before moving to Cyprus but if there is interest in importing cars then it could be an option. What is the situation with import duties and fees? I am forces.

The car is Golf GTi Edition 30, will be 1 year old. Do you think there is a market?

Thanks if you can give any advice.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

TYKE2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I have no idea.

I was just contacted by a Cypriot who bought my car.

I am told though that it is very popular to import cars into Cyprus from th eUK at present so it must work financially.

I know that the guy who bought mine had it shipped out of immingham docks within 24 hours of him buying it.

Tyke
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by VicMackey
Hello Tyke, Can you help?

I am looking at selling a car before moving to Cyprus but if there is interest in importing cars then it could be an option. What is the situation with import duties and fees? I am forces.

The car is Golf GTi Edition 30, will be 1 year old. Do you think there is a market?

Thanks if you can give any advice.
Vic,

If your going to be stationed in Cyprus, your entitled to 1 duty free car. Basically means that you can get a much better car for less. When you leave again, if your not taking it with you, you need to sell to another entitled person or pay the duty on it and sell to non entitled.

Not sure what the market is like, but certainly, I know that if I was buying a car again, it would be a UK spec car.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

VicMackey is an unknown quantity at this point

H

Thanks for getting back to me. My problem is that I have a Top Spec Tax Free car I purchased whilst in Germany and was not really looking at bringing it out to Cyprus. But I may not be able to sell it in UK before I move in September. Therefore my question was is there a Market for decent cars which could make it worth my while bringing it over? I also need to know what the score with import duty, selling it on is etc.

A lot of soldiers in Germany want to make a profit when they buy/sell new cars, but I would be happy just covering my costs. For example I recently saw a Ford Focus ST on sale, 1 year old, in Cyprus for the equivelant to £22000. That is much more than the owner would have paid for it if he aquired it tax free.

My car is a Golf Gti Edition 30, 1 year old, 11000 miles.

Any advice would be grately apprecicated.

Vic
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Carol and David is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Car import to Cyprus

Hi All
Is it right that you also have to pay import tax for the car and VAT, also you can only register it at Nicosia.
David
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by VicMackey
H

Thanks for getting back to me. My problem is that I have a Top Spec Tax Free car I purchased whilst in Germany and was not really looking at bringing it out to Cyprus. But I may not be able to sell it in UK before I move in September. Therefore my question was is there a Market for decent cars which could make it worth my while bringing it over? I also need to know what the score with import duty, selling it on is etc.

A lot of soldiers in Germany want to make a profit when they buy/sell new cars, but I would be happy just covering my costs. For example I recently saw a Ford Focus ST on sale, 1 year old, in Cyprus for the equivelant to £22000. That is much more than the owner would have paid for it if he aquired it tax free.

My car is a Golf Gti Edition 30, 1 year old, 11000 miles.

Any advice would be grately apprecicated.

Vic
Hi Vic,

I really have no idea about the car market. You could try contacting Andy's Motors - they have a web site I think. They deal with a lot of import/exports for forces.

Carol and David,

Yes there is import tax to pay, but its not that much anymore.

Registering - it depends on how hot headed you are really! My friend spent over a year running back and forward to Nicosia to register her Clio. It was very frustrating. However, if your willing to shout and scream and demand that its registered straight away at Limasol port, then you will get it done.

Be careful on the paperwork though. You need to be able to prove that the car has been paid for and that it has been in use in the UK for over 6 months. My friend (same as above) needed three years worth of bank statements!!! A right royal pain in the but. Plus all the usual birth certificates, marriage certificates and the death certificate of her Aunt's dogs, cousins, mother in law!!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

EllieS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I would really appreciate some help re bringing my car with me to Cyprus. I will be moving to Cyprus permanently next month. My car is a a mini cooper convertible and it is 2 years old. Could you tell me if I will have to pay tax/duty etc?
Many thanks
Ellie
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EllieS
Hi

I would really appreciate some help re bringing my car with me to Cyprus. I will be moving to Cyprus permanently next month. My car is a a mini cooper convertible and it is 2 years old. Could you tell me if I will have to pay tax/duty etc?
Many thanks
Ellie
Ellie,

Your shipping company should be able to give you all this information. Its all changed recently, so I'm really not sure of costs.

Sorry!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Island Gills is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a lot of confusing data on here in relation to importing cars from the UK to Cyprus. I'm no expert but having just successfully imported and registered a UK Honda HRV in Cyprus, saving around 4,000 Euros on buying a similar car in Cyprus from a dealer. The process isn't simple, but it can be done without agents charging upwards of 500 Euros. I am referring to import and payment of duties, not claiming duty free relief which is a minefield I think.

OK, here is the process in short.

1. Buy a car in the UK, with less than 1600cc & 200 CO2. This keeps the duty low, around 300 Euro. Over 1600cc = 2k duty +. mof.gov.cy has a really good Excel calculator based on car type, cc, CO2 and age of the car.
2. Andrew at Autoshippers.co.uk is a good contact to get it on a boat from Southampton. £700 for my HRV. Remove anything that isn't welded down. The boat goes everywhere en route.
3. I had an agent to meet us and the car at Limassol, but you can do it yourself. Basically you have to pay a port line fee and require a form C104 from Customs. This gets you temporary import status. Read about it on mof.gov.cy. This allows you 6 months duty free use of the car per annum, consecutive or not. You do not need to re-register the car.
4. Before you pick the car up you need to arrange 3rd party insurance, gandirect.com in Limassol I used. This allows you to drive the car and you'll need to go back to the insurers to get fully comp. They take photos of it as they believe no-one!
5. When you have your C104 from customs and have paid the fees you are free to drive off into the sunshine.
6. As I said you can use the car on UK plates for a max of 6 months in any year. When not in Cyprus you put the car into Bonded storage. I know a place in Paphos and can supply details. Every time you get the car back from storage you need to go to Customs (in Paphos in the new Town Hall) to get a new C104 yellow form. These are valid for 3 months.

To import the car permanantly, the process is more complicated, but it can be done in one day...yes one day! But allow a few mornings and a few frustrating moments with the Cypriots! OK, here goes. I can only give advice on my experience. If it's wrong then I cannot be responsible so take this as a disclaimer! I can also only comment on the process I experienced in Paphos

1. Firstly you need to go to the Town Hall with the car, your V5 and your C104 yellow form. This is to pay the duty. They will fill out a form and send you off to the Road Transport dept (off the road to Polis) for a C72 CO2 form.
2. When you have this you back to Town Hall and pay the duty. They also need to see the car to check VIN etc. Once you've done this you also need to buy two stamps.
3. Once you've paid the duty, you need a Cypriot MoT. The garage is also on the Polis Road next to a big paint shop. You'll get a certificate.
4. You then go back to Road Transport for a few more forms. You'll need your V5, passport, insurance, all the forms you've been issued and cash.
5. At the office be patient, firm and polite. There is no waiting system. All the locals push in. Wait for a gap and sit in front of the guys who will look at you as if you're mad at first, then tell them you wish to re-register.
6. They will measure the car (not sure why) and check VIN & engine number. Once completed they'll send you off to stand in a queue to pay the registration fees and Road Tax. Fees are about 330 Euros and road tax about 48 Euros. They'll issue you with a Cypriot Registration Document and a tax disc and MoT document.
7. The last bit, number plates, 50yds from the Road Transport is a car accessory place with a jolly chap who'll even fit them, charging a mere 15 Euros for the privilage!
8. You need to visit your insurers to give them a copy of the Cypriot Reg Document. You are then fully registered and legal, albeit a few Euros lighter.
9. Find somewhere within walking distance of your home and have a well earned Keo!

Hope this helps!!!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Island Gills is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EllieS
Hi

Many thanks
Ellie
Hi Ellie

See my long posting below. Let me know if I can help anymore

Mike
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Carol and David is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Car import to Cyprus

Hi Mike
After that day you certainly earned that Keo, thanks for the info
David