Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

MERGED: Spouse Visa Issues with Sheffield +Spouse Visa Chat Thread.

MERGED: Spouse Visa Issues with Sheffield +Spouse Visa Chat Thread.

Old Aug 16th 2018, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Shadowfair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MERGED: Spouse Visa Issues with Sheffield +Spouse Visa Chat Thread.

Still waitin
escalated last week so hoping for good news soon
Old Aug 16th 2018, 5:54 am
Just Joined

kaceyjade is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
The UPS truck showed up and i ran out and ripped open the package - inside was a letter confirming our application was a success and a visa in my wife's passport, best day of my life! We have until September 13th to travel and will be leaving on the 28th August. I'm currently typing up a summary of what documents we sent in, i could not have done this without the forum, despite the fact i hired a solicitor a lot of the documents i collected based off advice on here the solicitor used - if i were to do it again i would not use a solicitor. I'll be checking on here i'm hoping all you guys still waiting get positive outcomes - best of luck
Really happy for you Congrats!!
Old Aug 16th 2018, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brisbanebrit
Hello all,

​​​​I'm a bit confused about an email we've had from the visa Hub at the British Embassy Manila. I can't seem to find any recent info on this (pre jul 2017)...we applied from Brisbane (bio 19.06.18) and sent docs same day. ECO email 4.07.18 from Sheffield and I also sent an additional document on the same day to the Sheffield address. We also got an email from Sheffield about return postage (sent again as was already included), then on 2.08.18 we escalated via email.

14.08.18 we received an email from Manila Visa Hub, Home Office, British Embassy Manila saying the following:
Thank you for your UK visa application which is now under consideration. We aim to process regular non settlement applications within 15 working days, regular settlement applications within 60 working days, priority non settlement applications within 3-5 working days and priority settlement applications within 10 working days.

We apologise that we have been unable to meet these targets at this time. There are a number of reasons why we may not be able to meet our processing targets. We regret we are unable to give you a more detailed information whilst we are processing your application. You will be notified of the outcome of your application once your application has been decided.

I thought all settlement visas were decided on in Sheffield and the passports kept at the regional Embassy? So has the decision been made or is ours being decided on in Manila?

Any light would be much appreciated. Over scrutinising everything and forum stalking for 2 months now, we are utterly exhausted.

Thanks

seen your post that your visa was approved

congrats

how many times did you escalate and when if you don’t mind me asking

i am nervously waiting for mine and so far nothing

it has been more than 30 business days and very painful
Old Aug 17th 2018, 2:29 am
Just Joined

TimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadowfair

congrats

I think you're worrying unduly.

If you look at other people's timelines, it's plain to see that there's a general delay in processing at the moment. Happens every year over the summer. If US priority applications are taking > 40 days (and the US generally leads the pack on processing speeds) then that or a few days after that is where you should set your expectations. If you're only around 30 days, then you are a country mile away from the point where you might start to wonder whether something has gone wrong.

Escalating, from what I've seen, does no good at all and is a complete waste of money. If anything, it seems to delay processing. Like any processing center, Sheffield has all items requiring attention lined up in queues on their computer system. There's no reason why they would suddenly decide that your or anybody else's application is uniquely important in a way that warrants placing it ahead of other folk who are also waiting. They only do this if there are compassionate grounds, which would have to be at 'death' level supported by documentary evidence.

Having gone through this process myself, I know it's stressful, upsetting and depressing, that your mental well-being really does take a hit. But, you will get a decision and (fingers crossed) you will get your visa.

If, after that, you still feel raw about the waiting time, send in a complaint. I completely agree that setting an expectation of 30 working days for priority is unfair, especially over the summer period. Even the 60 day service standard for non-priority apps is misleading as they only apply this to the straightforward cases. If your case is deemed 'complex', heaven knows how long you will have to wait. I've seen examples on this forum where that can run to over 7 months!

But, for now, hang in there - you'll be fine!

Last edited by TimCypher; Aug 17th 2018 at 2:39 am.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Brisbanebrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shadowfair

congrats

​​​​​​
hi, no not approved yet, still waiting, 43 working days today.

I have escalated once on August 2 and received the reply from Manila saying it was under consideration. Called today but still no decision made. I didn't escalate today. No point.

I suppose Manila are processing it because Sheffield are flooded? When I saw that the US applicants were waiting 40+ I knew we'd be in for the longer haul but still, I'm not even worried about the money, it's spent now, it's my nerves, they can't take much more! Our family and friends back home are waiting on baited breath.

I am slightly worried about the post that just came up from another Brisbane applicant whose vignette had expired before they even picked it up! It's all gone Pete Tong at the home office it seems. Starting to feel like a. Were never going to see my hubbies passport again, its in the abyss or b. If we do get the visa it will be nothing short of an Argo-style escape to get into the UK and through the border control.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:43 am
Just Joined

TimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond reputeTimCypher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisbanebrit
​​​​​​
hi, no not approved yet, still waiting, 43 working days today.

I have escalated once on August 2 and received the reply from Manila saying it was under consideration. Called today but still no decision made. I didn't escalate today. No point.

I suppose Manila are processing it because Sheffield are flooded? When I saw that the US applicants were waiting 40+ I knew we'd be in for the longer haul but still, I'm not even worried about the money, it's spent now, it's my nerves, they can't take much more! Our family and friends back home are waiting on baited breath.

I am slightly worried about the post that just came up from another Brisbane applicant whose vignette had expired before they even picked it up! It's all gone Pete Tong at the home office it seems. Starting to feel like a. Were never going to see my hubbies passport again, its in the abyss or b. If we do get the visa it will be nothing short of an Argo-style escape to get into the UK and through the border control.
The best thing to do is just to try and carry on with life as normal. And I know that's hard.

But don't make any financial commitments, don't do anything drastic like quit your job, sell your house or give notice on rental agreements ahead of the visa landing safely in your hands. I've seen loads of cases where people have made major changes to their lives, or made expensive plans all based on an assumption that the visa will land on or before a certain date. Then, when their visa was delayed (or, still worse, rejected), they found themselves not only having to deal with that, but also found themselves with no job, nowhere to live, no money etc...

I don't know whether you're applying for a spouse or a fiance visa, but it's trickier to do on a fiance visa as you have to show evidence of wedding planning. I guess that's where wedding insurance comes in.

But, it's best just trying to focus your mind on something else - work, going out with friends etc...

In any case, the period where the nerves truly kick in is between getting notification that your application has been processed and picking up / receiving the passport to learn the decision. IMHO, that was the worst bit by far. I was a complete mess that day, to be honest. I had to hit the bottle lol...but it all turned out well in the end.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TimCypher
The best thing to do is just to try and carry on with life as normal. And I know that's hard.

But don't make any financial commitments, don't do anything drastic like quit your job, sell your house or give notice on rental agreements ahead of the visa landing safely in your hands. I've seen loads of cases where people have made major changes to their lives, or made expensive plans all based on an assumption that the visa will land on or before a certain date. Then, when their visa was delayed (or, still worse, rejected), they found themselves not only having to deal with that, but also found themselves with no job, nowhere to live, no money etc...

I don't know whether you're applying for a spouse or a fiance visa, but it's trickier to do on a fiance visa as you have to show evidence of wedding planning. I guess that's where wedding insurance comes in.

But, it's best just trying to focus your mind on something else - work, going out with friends etc...

In any case, the period where the nerves truly kick in is between getting notification that your application has been processed and picking up / receiving the passport to learn the decision. IMHO, that was the worst bit by far. I was a complete mess that day, to be honest. I had to hit the bottle lol...but it all turned out well in the end.
eaiser said than done.

I have been so nervous that can't do anything pretty much it is taking control of me .
ours it fiance and have not provided much planning or expensive wedding. we provided a notice to register marriage and have been trying to settle myself down that this is going to be ok but can't stop being nervous when i see other doing hotel booking etc and submit it prior to receiving visa.

we don't want a big wedding just a night out so that doesn't need significant planning.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Zweeto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TimCypher
They need your passport to be able to record the visa refusal against that passport. As it wasn't in their care, you might have lost your passport while the visa was being processed and now have a new one, in which case they want to ensure the refusal is logged against your most current travel document.

No and no...

There are only two ways you can find out upfront of getting your passport back what the decision was. And those two ways are:

1) You went to your MP and they managed to find out for you.
2) You applied with a dependent child and they sent you an e-Mail to make the extra IHS payment - if you get that, you know your visa has been approved.

Aside from that, there's no way to know for sure. Though, it's probably fair to say that a quick decision on your application is more likely to be an approval.

Hi Timcypher,
On the above note which u have mentioned of 2 ways you can find out the outcome of your applications is that before you actually receive your passports back?

I'm in the same position I'm sponsoring my husband and my step son and we too got a email on 2nd July 2018 asking us to make a additional payment for the dependant ihs, but since then we haven't heard anything. We are still waiting 🤔

​​​
Old Aug 20th 2018, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Nora_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cattyk
Updates:
Asked our MP to enquire for an update and our MP was told on 17th August that: my caseworker was advised that decision should be made soon.

Documents returned (to UK Address): 31st July 2018
Email stating "Your Application is currently being prepared for consideration by an ECO": 20th August 2018

Waiting on the below:
Email request sent to escalate at 30 Business Days:
Reply received stating application was escalated:
SMS stating Processed Visa received:
Passport Delivered:
Decision Made Email:
Really sorry if the way I'm trying to calculate is incorrect - but 30 BD hasn't been over yet?
Biometrics were on 23rd of July - today is 20th of August - 28 business days? No?
Old Aug 20th 2018, 9:49 am
Just Joined

cattyk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nora_
Really sorry if the way I'm trying to calculate is incorrect - but 30 BD hasn't been over yet?
Biometrics were on 23rd of July - today is 20th of August - 28 business days? No?
No, unfortunately only 20 business days as of today. Feels much longer sadly
Old Aug 20th 2018, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

No, unfortunately only 20 business days as of today. Feels much longer sadly
were you allowed to escalate it though? I thought they almost hang up if you call before guideline times.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 10:07 am
Just Joined

were you allowed to escalate it though? I thought they almost hang up if you call before guideline times.
No, I haven't escalated my application yet. We asked our MP to enquire for an update last week and they called on our behalf but that's it.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Another question for everyone who might know:

How applications are tracked? Is it all computerized in a way that it gets automatically assigned to ECO when another case is closed?
Initially I thought if there are less application from your country you have opportunity to get the result faster.
But probably country of origin does not impact where your application is in line?
  • Now, I imagine that when application is received - automatic status update happens (probably linked to barcode scanning)
Then;
  • Someone manually scans all the pieces of orginal documents and uploads in to their system under request numbers.
  • One ECO probably will have multiple (but maxed) open request on a daily basis.
  • When one case is closed for ECO - system automatically assigns ECO to another case - that's when we receive ECO assigned email.
  • But this does not mean that ECO will start to work on my case straight away, but probably will be very low on his/her priority due to application being newly assigned.
  • Other priority application taking the priority. e.g if the same ECO got assigned to priority application, my application will wait again.
  • As soon as ECO has that time for my application - they will initiate certain compulsory checks - sending requests for crime/terrorism/if married already/if convicted in another country - this process probably takes like 5 BD minimum.
  • When result comes up clean; then according to checklist - ECO looks into the supporting documents top level. (e.g over 18, meets financial requirements, have place to stay). If everything checks out - then ECO starts to dig into the documents - reading all the bank statements, making sure amount matches with payslips, reads cover letters, looks at pics etc.
This is where it comes "straightforward application" - if whatever is submitted is correct, genuine, checks out, and does not request for ECO to read 10 times to understand, then decision making process gets finalized faster.

I believe big part of our wait is not the time is taking to decide, but system wait - waiting for confirmations to come, waiting for priority cases to be finalized, waiting for complex cases to be finalized. Because physically and mentally ECO only can certain number of open cases at a given point, if someones case is taking longer to decide - because they had multiple rejections before and multiple kids, and have 3 employments going on at the same time, then ECO does not even have time to have a look to new applications.

Above is my imagination - I work in customer supply chain, so tried to find similarities. My only concern would be - how up-to-date technology Home Office is using.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

No, I haven't escalated my application yet. We asked our MP to enquire for an update last week and they called on our behalf but that's it.
*Thinking loud* Should I do that too, hmmm? can I do that without informing my solicitor - I really don't like her.
Was it easy to reach MP and everything was fast for you?
Old Aug 20th 2018, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

*Thinking loud* Should I do that too, hmmm? can I do that without informing my solicitor - I really don't like her.
Was it easy to reach MP and everything was fast for you?
It was really easy for us and we got a reply the next day but I think we got lucky as some MPs won't help unless it has surpassed the service standards (we emailed at 18 business days).
I still feel like the representatives of the MP who called on our behalf heard the same script the call centre tells everyone who calls - but it saved us a pricey phone call at least. Our MP also told us to email back if a decision hasn't been made in the next two weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.