Wikiposts

Family visa rules questioned in UK Parliament

Old May 28th 2013, 7:17 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family visa rules questioned in UK Parliament

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Great! Let's hope something comes of it
It's not binding on the Gov't, but apparently there will be debates over the next few months.
Old May 28th 2013, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
It's not binding on the Gov't, but apparently there will be debates over the next few months.
Yes, I know, but hopefully there will be some media attention on it. It seems to have been lost in the shuffle of everything else. Will you be able to speak again?
Old May 29th 2013, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

I've just written to my MP (who also happens to be deputy leader of the LibDems) asking him to explain why he didn't speak out initially, to read the report when it comes out and to join one of the BritCits meetups to help understand the effects of the changes.
I'd suggest anyone who can, does the same.
Old May 29th 2013, 3:25 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
I've just written to my MP (who also happens to be deputy leader of the LibDems) asking him to explain why he didn't speak out initially, to read the report when it comes out and to join one of the BritCits meetups to help understand the effects of the changes.
I'd suggest anyone who can, does the same.
Do you actually think you'll get a reply tho ? most of these 'mp's' don't give a sh!t.
Old May 29th 2013, 3:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Do you actually think you'll get a reply tho ? most of these 'mp's' don't give a sh!t.
Every time I've contacted my MP about something, I've always had a reply, either from him/her or from the minister concerned.
Old May 29th 2013, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Yes, I do expect a reply. I am after all a bona-fide consituent of his, and he is very good with local/constituent issues. I've found I always had a reply in that case - and never if I write to someone who isn't my MP (unless I already know them).

How do you think those MPs (and Lords) who have spoken out about the rules have been made aware of the stories they often quote? By their constituents (not sure how people chose which Lord to write to) writing in. If you check hansard for related debates you'll find quite a few talking about specific cases.
Old May 29th 2013, 5:09 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know, but hopefully there will be some media attention on it. It seems to have been lost in the shuffle of everything else. Will you be able to speak again?
I doubt I'll be speaking again, though there's always the possibilty of being asked questions.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

On Friday morning, I was interviewed by Channel 4 for a short piece to be broadcast on Monday evening on Channel 4 News at 7pm, as part of their coverage of the Parliamentary report being released on Monday.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

On Friday morning, I was interviewed by Channel 4 for a short piece to be broadcast on Monday evening on Channel 4 News at 7pm, as part of their coverage of the Parliamentary report being released on Monday.
If there is a link for it, post it! Otherwise, can you tell us what you said? Do you have a sense yet of whether this report will have any impact on legislation?
Old Jun 8th 2013, 6:23 am
Account Closed

If there is a link for it, post it! Otherwise, can you tell us what you said? Do you have a sense yet of whether this report will have any impact on legislation?
It'll be edited down to a one or two-minute clip during the news, and I don't know what parts they'll show. It'll be on the Channel 4 News website from Monday evening/Tuesday morning, and they say the website is viewable worldwide.

The interview was to show the human impact of the current rules, and will be shown during coverage of the report's launch coverage.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:51 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Family visa rules questioned in UK Parliament

It'll be edited down to a one or two-minute clip during the news, and I don't know what parts they'll show. It'll be on the Channel 4 News website from Monday evening/Tuesday morning, and they say the website is viewable worldwide.

The interview was to show the human impact of the current rules, and will be shown during coverage of the report's launch coverage.
Oooh - I shall be looking out for you! Just in case they've interviewed other expats in the same predicament, how will we recognise you? Are you wearing a flower in your lapel lol?!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 7:02 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

This is brilliant, DLD! Excellent that you got to speak your mind about the new rules & that the whole nation will see it. (Hope it's not too heavily edited.)
Old Jun 9th 2013, 7:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WEBlue
This is brilliant, DLD! Excellent that you got to speak your mind about the new rules & that the whole nation will see it. (Hope it's not too heavily edited.)
They say they're only going to use a few sound bites. The producer is Simon Israel.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

The report isn't officially released until this afternoon, but it can be downloaded here from this morning.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:01 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

The report isn't officially released until this afternoon, but it can be downloaded here from this morning.
Thanks for this! It's fascinating reading...

Almost all the findings have been pointed out by members of BE. (Some have been pointed out MANY times!) Such as points 4 & 5 under 'Recommendations' (p.8):

4. The list of permitted sources of funds should be reviewed to ensure that they fully reflect the resources available to families. In particular:

* Prospective non-EEA partner earnings should be considered for inclusion in the rules, for example in circumstances where the non-EEA partner has a firm offer of employment or self-employment in the UK, or where there is reasonable expectation that the non-EEA partner will gain employment or self-employment after entering the UK

* The rules relating to income from cash savings and from self-employment should be reviewed;
Third party support, particularly that provided by a close family member such as a parent, should be considered for inclusion in the rules

5. The current evidential requirements in Appendix FM-SE should be reviewed, in order to ensure that they are clear and easy for applicants to understand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.