Family visa rules questioned in UK Parliament

Old Jan 14th 2013, 2:16 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Family visa rules questioned in UK Parliament

Came across this article last week when I was searching for info on the spouse visa for non-EEA/EU partners of returning BCs. I think this Parliamentary enquiry has been noted in the sticky thread at the top of this section, but that sticky thread is now so long and difficult to read that it seems more sensible to give the enquiry a thread of its own.

http://www.migrantsrights.org.uk/blo...-migration-mps

Shadow Minister for Equalities Kate Green heads the All Party Parliamentary Group on Family Migration, and she is asking some important questions in Parliament about the possible negative effects of the strict financial requirements under the new spouse visa rules. She wonders if the new income threshold is proving to be a hardship on families, especially on the children of couples made up of BC/non-EEA parents.

Kate Green: Children's well-being may be at risk if the family migration rules perpetuate family separation by preventing a parent from joining his or her family here in the UK. What is the Minister doing to monitor the impact of the family migration rules on children's well-being?
This particular Parliamentary enquiry started several months ago, and will conclude at the end of this month (31 Jan 2012).

http://www.appgmigration.org.uk/news...igration-rules

The APPG on Family Migration are asking for written evidence of the impact these rules have had on people's lives.
Individuals who have direct experience of the new family migration rules, as well as support organisations and advisers, are particularly invited to share their views.
Here's the page to contribute your own evidence if you wish:

http://www.appgmigration.org.uk/family-inquiry
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family visa rules questioned in UK Parliament

Brilliant, about time someone started a constructive process.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:50 pm
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Thanks for the link, ive already sent in my 5 cents worth
Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:49 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

:-)

Hopefully the new 'rules' fold in the future no £64K Bollocks
Old Jan 31st 2013, 11:21 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I sent my piece into the inquiry, and have received an invite to watch the first oral evidence submissions on the 11th of Feb.

I'm assuming anyone else who sent submissions got the same invite, or did I get lucky?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Family visa rules questioned in UK Parliament

You can speak directly with Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg, on Thursday mornings (9am UK time) on a live radio broadcast on the LBC 97.3FM radio station:

http://www.lbc.co.uk/call-clegg-nick...n-on-lbc-65903

Home Page: http://www.lbc.co.uk (it's not entirely London focussed, they cover issues and have people call in from around the world).
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:17 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

The submissions of evidence are still being accepted on this link, as far as I can tell. I guess it may shut down tonight at midnight UK time...?

http://www.appgmigration.org.uk/family-inquiry
Old Feb 1st 2013, 10:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I sent my piece into the inquiry, and have received an invite to watch the first oral evidence submissions on the 11th of Feb.

I'm assuming anyone else who sent submissions got the same invite, or did I get lucky?
No invite for me, Dave. Maybe they thought that as I was against the new minimum income requirement, I wouldn't be able to afford the airfare from Australia
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No invite for me, Dave. Maybe they thought that as I was against the new minimum income requirement, I wouldn't be able to afford the airfare from Australia
I'm not against the minimum income requirement, I pointed out to them that it's an unrealistic amount to earn in many areas without working 60+ hours every week, without being sick or losing one's job.

I also pointed out that those receiving some disability benefits are exempt, but that those benefits are nowhere near £18,600 and only have to show evidence of one month's payment in the preceding 12 months. I pointed out that this is discrimination in favour of the disabled, and is still discrimination.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not against the minimum income requirement, I pointed out to them that it's an unrealistic amount to earn in many areas without working 60+ hours every week, without being sick or losing one's job.

I also pointed out that those receiving some disability benefits are exempt, but that those benefits are nowhere near £18,600 and only have to show evidence of one month's payment in the preceding 12 months. I pointed out that this is discrimination in favour of the disabled, and is still discrimination.
Well I'm against it (the minimum income requirement). It's discriminatory, in that it it stops UK citizens who want to come home, but don't meet the income requirements, from living in their own country with their foreign born spouse - yet couples and their children who have absolutely no connection with the UK other than being a citizen of an EEA country can move there at will.

The new rules separate families, if the UKC tries to meet the requirements by travelling to the UK alone, and finding and keeping work that meets the income test for 6 months. It's clear that social and economic disadvantage can be the result of this. The Surinder Singh route requires families to uproot and move twice, that's if the UKC can even find employment in an EU country.

Although the new rules will mean the expense of obtaining visas for me, and I will have to wait 5 years for ILR, I'm not affected by the minimum income requirement as my Brit husband and I will more than meet this from investments when we retire in the UK. That doesn't alter the fact that I find the new rules to be discriminatory against the countless UKCs and their families who don't meet the requirements, and are thus excluded from living in their own country simply because they married (or partnered) someone from outside a specified geographical (and political) area.

And the likely net reduction in migration to the UK from these new spouse visa sponsorship rules? Insignificant compared to other forms of migration.

It absolutely stinks.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

Well I'm against it (the minimum income requirement). It's discriminatory, in that it it stops UK citizens who want to come home, but don't meet the income requirements, from living in their own country with their foreign born spouse - yet couples and their children who have absolutely no connection with the UK other than being a citizen of an EEA country can move there at will.

The new rules separate families, if the UKC tries to meet the requirements by travelling to the UK alone, and finding and keeping work that meets the income test for 6 months. It's clear that social and economic disadvantage can be the result of this. The Surinder Singh route requires families to uproot and move twice, that's if the UKC can even find employment in an EU country.

Although the new rules will mean the expense of obtaining visas for me, and I will have to wait 5 years for ILR, I'm not affected by the minimum income requirement as my Brit husband and I will more than meet this from investments when we retire in the UK. That doesn't alter the fact that I find the new rules to be discriminatory against the countless UKCs and their families who don't meet the requirements, and are thus excluded from living in their own country simply because they married (or partnered) someone from outside a specified geographical (and political) area.

And the likely net reduction in migration to the UK from these new spouse visa sponsorship rules? Insignificant compared to other forms of migration.

It absolutely stinks.
I agree with all your points.

I doubt the rules will change much after the inquiry, as I feel that government is unlikely to admit it was wrong in issuing the current set. But at least they appear to be doing something.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

It absolutely stinks.
We are also fortunate in that we have a house and a small business to sell that will more than cover the savings requirement. But is breaks my heart every time I read another story of a young family trying to come home but facing the financial barriers
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 10:42 am
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
We are also fortunate in that we have a house and a small business to sell that will more than cover the savings requirement. But is breaks my heart every time I read another story of a young family trying to come home but facing the financial barriers
I agree. Even those who are able to muster the resources to successfully jump over these new financial hurdles can only feel empathy for those who find the barriers just a little too high.

And who knows? If this income/savings threshold is not overturned--if it stands--how high will the NEXT rules change hike the requirements....

UKBA love to tinker with the numbers, and if people don't protest, they might well just keep raising the bar till none of us can climb over it. that's my feeling, anyway.
Old May 28th 2013, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

The APPG on Migration will publish its report of the inquiry ‘Into the New Family Migration Rules’ on Monday, 10 June 2013 at 00.01.

Copies will be available on the Committee’s website on the day of publication.

I've been invited for another trip to Parliament for the launch.
Old May 28th 2013, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

The APPG on Migration will publish its report of the inquiry ‘Into the New Family Migration Rules’ on Monday, 10 June 2013 at 00.01.

Copies will be available on the Committee’s website on the day of publication.

I've been invited for another trip to Parliament for the launch.
Great! Let's hope something comes of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.