Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:09 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by AndrewInBradfordCanada
I am not too sure where that information is found but on the application I completed from their website it says this on the form about guarantors:
"I hold a full current British, Irish, other EU, US or Commonwealth passport (delete as appropriate)."

And also

"If the applicant lives and is applying from outside the UK the countersignatory must:
• hold a UK, Irish or other EU, US or
Commonwealth passport (in order of preference) which has not run out. We will be able to process applications more quickly where the countersignature has a UK or Irish passport.
• not be a commercially employed agent helping you to apply for a passport.

Even in the Guidance notes available it only asks for the guarantor to specify which country they hold a passport from and list the number, I couldn't find anything asking for a full colour copy of the passport. But oh well. I know dealing with government doesn't always goes smoothly. And maybe I am totally missing something as well. I went through these notes and applications so many times to make sure I had what I needed. But oh well. My passport is on the way soon

Any idea what courier they will use to send from the UK to Canada and how long it usually takes.
Yes, I agree. You have to wade through pages of instructions to find it in the counter signitory's intructions. It should be made clearer. I've included the link for others in the same situation.
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

No idea about Canada. I'm in Italy came by DHL the day after it appeared as in delivery.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 3:48 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

That whole countersignatory thing is bollocks, it says 'IT MUST BE SOMEONE' WITH uk/eu passports... utter lies that,

Some people here used NONE EU people to countersignatory there applications and they got there passport.

I my self used a chinese national for my sons who i've known for 2+ years.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 4:41 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexcore
That whole countersignatory thing is bollocks, it says 'IT MUST BE SOMEONE' WITH uk/eu passports... utter lies that,

Some people here used NONE EU people to countersignatory there applications and they got there passport.

I my self used a chinese national for my sons who i've known for 2+ years.
There must be some leeway for people in countries like China. Finding a signatory in Italy isn't as easy as you might think. I don't know any British/Commonwealth citizens worthy enough. Plenty of Italians, but most Italian don't have a passport. They don't need one as they can travel in Europe and a few other places on their ID cards.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

tuckersworld is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm beginning to think that they intentionally keep the verbiage about countersignatures ambiguous...I was literally like, a monkey looking at a math problem when I did my online straightforward renewal. I ended up asking a very good friend with a PhD to look it over, and give me his opinion...he said nope...doesn't look like you need it. ~fingers crossed his high level of education is everything it's cracked up to be~ lol
Old Apr 20th 2014, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndrewInBradfordCanada

Any idea what courier they will use to send from the UK to Canada and how long it usually takes.
They used DHL when we received ours last November. It took about a day, maybe 2 at the most.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

AndrewInBradfordCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't been able to log onto the website to track my passport as somehow I've been locked out but I have received an email form the UK passport saying my passport has been sent for printing on April 16th and should receive within 7-10 days. I'm sure that timeframe is just a standard delivery schedule.

I've also read on a few occasions that DHL will contact you ahead of time to say there will be a delivery

Is this correct?

I am supposed to be leaving for vacation on Friday the 25th(don't need the UK passport) and I don't want it to be delivered twice and sent back. There will be my step son home, will he be able to sign for it or have it redirected to our office where he works.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

We weren't contacted ahead of time when we received them in November in B.C.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

9810rachel is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having a nightmare dealing with the passport office and their computer says no attitude. It would seem they hold no duty to any customer care and it is just dealing with robots.
I stupidly sent my passport from Europe believing 7 weeks turn around would be enough, it would seem I was wrong. firstly on signing for it they never updates their system and when i called them they at first couldn't even find the application. On further holding they went away and confirmed they had it, yet I had to wait till the following week for the system to show updated. I called as we had reached the 4 week stage only to be told it was four weeks tomorrow and the computer would not allow them to help me, call back tomorrow. On calling back the next day I was told well in fact there was a bank holiday so really it is not four weeks I should call back the next day, by this time I refused to get of the line until they looked. I got put through to another department who informed they had no information and would organize a call back in 72 hours (from what I understand from the other threads these call backs do not come) I have also tried emailing only to have all my questions not answered (after answering all the ID questions) and a standard line they must copy from their hand book for emails.
Frustrated is not the word, Im 6 months pregnant and this is my last chance to travel and its helpless, why do some people get their passport back in under 3 weeks and others they just delay? irrational thought but it really feels like they want to cause misery!
anyone have any advise or anyone else put their passport in end of March with better service?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 3:24 pm
Concierge

Rachel, I don't know where you are in Europe. I'm in Italy. My application, delivered to Durham on the 4th of Feb, took 9 weeks. The last time I spoke to a processing officer he told me that they had a long, long queue.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, doesn't sound promising for me then I'm in Finland and I believe mine has gone to the Liverpool office and shows no sign of returning.. looks like I will be losing my flights. My fault for booking but still the service leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 9810rachel
Thanks for your feedback, doesn't sound promising for me then I'm in Finland and I believe mine has gone to the Liverpool office and shows no sign of returning.. looks like I will be losing my flights. My fault for booking but still the service leaves a lot to be desired.
Presumably you're not also a Finnish citizen, if you were, you could use a Finnish passport or ID card to travel to the U.K.

Otherwise perhaps consider an Emergency Travel Document, especially if you are simply trying to renew a British passport:
https://www.gov.uk/government/world/...bassy-helsinki
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks JAJ,

already looked at this but being 1000km away from helsinki by the time i get there and pay for the new document its cheaper i lose my flight already booked.. but thank you anyway!
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 9810rachel
already looked at this but being 1000km away from helsinki by the time i get there and pay for the new document its cheaper i lose my flight already booked.. but thank you anyway!
If you're permanently settled in Finland for a number of years, have you considered taking out Finnish citizenship? It won't help you this time, but would mean that you would not be dependent on British passport services going forward.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I have to renew my UK passport, too. It expired over 10 years ago so I expect it will take a little longer than usual to get it back (US). I researched this six months ago and, as I recall, it was a miniature nightmare! Does anyone have the link where I can download the application? I think there is a special link if you live outside the UK. I can't find it!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:05 am
Just Joined

tuckersworld is an unknown quantity at this point

Renewal from US is relatively straight forward and simple...
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.