Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Apr 25th 2015, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Just sent off renewal documents of a recently expired red passport from Chicago. I found the online system worked smoothly.

$154 online Visa credit card charge went through fine. But it might be worth noting to contact the credit card company first to inform them of this charge, as foreign transactions are often seen as fraudulent and rejected.

I used US postal service Priority Mail (not Express) with their free padded envelope and promised delivery in 7 days that's tracked for $23.50. Their standard international airmail would have been only $10 but untracked and therefore risky, I think.

Hopefully all should go well, and wanted to share my progress and experience.

Last edited by Richard8655; Apr 25th 2015 at 6:34 pm.
Old May 3rd 2015, 9:52 am
Just Joined

The Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond repute

I just came across this forum and I have already learnt a lot !

I see from previous threads that some of you have made your renewal application online and then sent the hard copies by courier....the problem is that this is not option for me in the countries where I will apply from. I called the gov.uk helpline to see if there was a fast track service but apparently they don't offer this service if you are outside the UK.

I did a search on Google and I see that there are independent 3rd party agencies offering expedited services, but I have no idea how reliable they are. If I understand the process correctly, they arrange for the fast-track or premium service that you can book in the UK and do everything on your behalf with a letter of authorisation.

Do any of you by chance have any experience in fast tracking an application from overseas using one of these agencies?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by The Sorceror; May 3rd 2015 at 10:35 am. Reason: Updated my question
Old May 3rd 2015, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Sorceror
I just came across this forum and I have already learnt a lot !

I see from previous threads that some of you have made your renewal application online and then sent the hard copies by courier....the problem is that this is not option for me in the countries where I will apply from. I called the gov.uk helpline to see if there was a fast track service but apparently they don't offer this service if you are outside the UK.

I did a search on Google and I see that there are independent 3rd party agencies offering expedited services, but I have no idea how reliable they are. If I understand the process correctly, they arrange for the fast-track or premium service that you can book in the UK and do everything on your behalf with a letter of authorisation.

Do any of you by chance have any experience in fast tracking an application from overseas using one of these agencies?

Many thanks in advance.
My overseas renewal (from USA) was just successfully completed and passport now dispatched after only 1 week of processing. It was done completely online without the need for any additional hard copy to be sent (only sent expired passport, photos, and declaration via priority mail).

So unless yours is a complicated situation, I don't see the need to look for fast tracking or 3rd party agents. Online was straightforward and fairly smooth in all respects. I'd be surprised if there's a country not listed as an overseas selection in the online system.

Last edited by Richard8655; May 3rd 2015 at 12:42 pm.
Old May 3rd 2015, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

The Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sorceror has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
My overseas renewal (from USA) was just successfully completed and passport now dispatched after only 1 week of processing. It was done completely online without the need for any additional hard copy to be sent (only sent expired passport, photos, and declaration via priority mail).

So unless yours is a complicated situation, I don't see the need to look for fast tracking or 3rd party agents. Online was straightforward and fairly smooth in all respects.
Richard, thanks for your reply. The problem in my case is that the countries where I am based (China and Bangladesh) are not on the list of places where you can apply online, unlike the US. I would have to make an appointment at the appropriate visa centre, hand over the hard copies and then sit and wait for 8 weeks, according to what the UK Gov. website tells me....
Old May 3rd 2015, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard, thanks for your reply. The problem in my case is that the countries where I am based (China and Bangladesh) are not on the list of places where you can apply online, unlike the US. I would have to make an appointment at the appropriate visa centre, hand over the hard copies and then sit and wait for 8 weeks, according to what the UK Gov. website tells me....
Sorcerer, my apologies... you're completely correct. Although China is listed as an overseas location in the online system, the directions indicate you must apply in person at one of the UK application centres in China.

Rather than going the 3rd party agency or fast track route, couldn't you just make such an appointment and do this yourself in person per their procedure? Unless you were hoping fast track might speed up the process if it's available there.

But other forum members in your similar location may have additional advice.

Last edited by Richard8655; May 3rd 2015 at 1:06 pm.
Old May 3rd 2015, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Sorcerer, my apologies... you're completely correct. Although China is listed as an overseas location in the online system, the directions indicate you must apply in person at one of the UK application centres in China.

Rather than going the 3rd party agency or fast track route, couldn't you just make such an appointment and do this yourself in person per their procedure?

But other forum members in your similar location may have additional advice.
Richard, thanks, no need to apologise - the procedures are so impenetrable that nobody is on top of all the ins and outs!

The problem with the appointment system is the time it takes....at least 8 weeks according to the official website, and it is impossible for me to be without a passport for that long. I tried discussing this with the gov.uk helpline, but they basically just repeated what I could read on the website, which wasn't much help!
Old May 3rd 2015, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard, thanks, no need to apologise - the procedures are so impenetrable that nobody is on top of all the ins and outs!

The problem with the appointment system is the time it takes....at least 8 weeks according to the official website, and it is impossible for me to be without a passport for that long. I tried discussing this with the gov.uk helpline, but they basically just repeated what I could read on the website, which wasn't much help!
Yes indeed, Sorceror, not a straightforward process from China. I do see the directions indicate that after your initial appointment to start the application process, you would be allowed to keep your passport for ID purposes while you wait.

"You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes."
Old May 3rd 2015, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Yes indeed, Sorceror, not a straightforward process from China. I do see the directions indicate that after your initial appointment to start the application process, you would be allowed to keep your passport for ID purposes while you wait.

"You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes."
That's why I am checking out the agencies who offer a fast track service for overseas applications, just to see how it works, since - if I have understood correctly - you are theoretically meant to be in the UK to do this, unless the authorisation letter that they need covers this.

What amazes me is that there is no official fast track option for overseas based passport holders.

Thanks for your replies!
Old May 3rd 2015, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Quite welcome! Hopefully others here with China application experience can jump in with their advice.
Old May 3rd 2015, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Quite welcome! Hopefully others here with China application experience can jump in with their advice.
......or even Bangladesh experience, given my coming work schedule !!
Old May 4th 2015, 4:14 am
Just Joined

gzlex is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why I am checking out the agencies who offer a fast track service for overseas applications, just to see how it works, since - if I have understood correctly - you are theoretically meant to be in the UK to do this, unless the authorisation letter that they need covers this.

What amazes me is that there is no official fast track option for overseas based passport holders.

Thanks for your replies!
I am in pretty much the same boat as The Sorceror, here.
I just made this post http://britishexpats.com/forum/china.../#post11636124
and was told to check here, too.

Just to cut to the chase, I also don't have enough time to trust that going through the official channels will get me my new passport in enough time.

Which leaves me with two possibilities.
1.Go back to England, and apply in person.
2.FedEx (or whatever) my passport and application directly to family to apply on my behalf.

Obviously option#2 is my first choice, as it's much much cheaper!

Can anyone shed any light on the legal side of this? I tried asking the consulate, and they refused to talk about anything passport related!
Old May 4th 2015, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perhaps both of you could pose your timeline situations directly with the UK passport office? They may have suggestions. The online system provides a contact page with both telephone and email contacts per below link.

https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line

Or also email one of the UK application centres in China?

Last edited by Richard8655; May 4th 2015 at 7:23 pm.
Old May 4th 2015, 8:02 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gzlex

Just to cut to the chase, I also don't have enough time to trust that going through the official channels will get me my new passport in enough time.

2.FedEx (or whatever) my passport and application directly to family to apply on my behalf.

Can anyone shed any light on the legal side of this? I tried asking the consulate, and they refused to talk about anything passport related!

Option 2, as you know, is a bit iffy. You are supposed to be in the country at the time of applying. My brother wanted to help me out, but was told by the London passport office that it is a definate no- no.

Perhaps both of you could pose your timeline situations directly with the UK passport office? They may have suggestions. The online system provides a contact page with both telephone and email contacts per below link.

https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line

Or also email one of the UK application centres in China?
Hmm.... I tried the call centre. They only give standard replies.
Old May 4th 2015, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 37100
Hmm.... I tried the call centre. They only give standard replies.
My experience is to not take the first response received as definitive, as people's knowledge and experience levels vary. I'd also work within the system with the passport office and not attempt anything outside their procedures to avoid risk of rejection.

I'd email one of the in-country application centres and also both email and call the passport office in UK. They have an international number for this purpose. My reading of others' experiences is they've been quite helpful over the phone with unusual or non-standard situations.
Old May 5th 2015, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gzlex

Same here, I have called the official helpline twice, but (as 37100 has also said) as far as I can see they are just reading the information off their website ....absolutely no help whatsoever.

I am going to try and contact a couple of the agencies who claim to offer a fast track service on your behalf if you are outside the UK, just to see how they actually do it (in particular, which form you need to complete and how they handle the fact that you are not physically in the UK at the time). That said, even if they give a convincing answer, I am reluctant to send my passport to a bunch of guys that I don't know, which is why I am still hoping that someone on here has successfully used this sort of service.

I noticed from one of Richard8655's posts that his application from the US was turned round very quickly...just out of curiosity, I looked on the government website and they give a time frame of at least 6 weeks, so the system worked incredible fast! Problem is, you have no certainty as to how much time they will actually take....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.