British citizenship by double descent - Do I qualify?

Old May 3rd 2020, 1:44 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship by double descent - Do I qualify?

You can do it yourself. Even with an immigration adviser assisting you, you would still largely be doing all the legwork yourself.

Yes, you will need to provide evidence that you resided in the UK for at least three consecutive years. NI contributions alone won’t be enough as these can be paid up to six years later and from abroad. If you worked for one particular employer for at least three years and they are willing and able to confirm your employment with them then that would be a good starting point.
Old May 3rd 2020, 10:27 am
PPK
Just Joined

PPK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can do it yourself. Even with an immigration adviser assisting you, you would still largely be doing all the legwork yourself.

Yes, you will need to provide evidence that you resided in the UK for at least three consecutive years. NI contributions alone won’t be enough as these can be paid up to six years later and from abroad. If you worked for one particular employer for at least three years and they are willing and able to confirm your employment with them then that would be a good starting point.
Thankyou for your input it is very helpful.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 3:02 pm
PPK
Just Joined

Hi BIP hope you are well.
I followed your instruction and filled in the MN1 for my daughter, paid the 1012 pounds and submitted on 29 May
and she received an email reply with the case number on 1 June.
I then sent the requested documents DHL and they received them on 10 June
Must I just sit and wait for their next move,I presume this will be to do the biometrics, or is there something I should do.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 9:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PPK
Hi BIP hope you are well.
I followed your instruction and filled in the MN1 for my daughter, paid the 1012 pounds and submitted on 29 May
and she received an email reply with the case number on 1 June.
I then sent the requested documents DHL and they received them on 10 June
Must I just sit and wait for their next move,I presume this will be to do the biometrics, or is there something I should do.
Sit tight and wait for the request for your daughter to complete her biometrics. That’s usually the final stage before approval.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

JaridineHK is an unknown quantity at this point

Sit tight and wait for the request for your daughter to complete her biometrics. That’s usually the final stage before approval.
the biometrics only for record or need to verify something, why need to wait 3 to 4 weeks after complete the biometrics ?
Thanks !
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by JaridineHK
the biometrics only for record or need to verify something, why need to wait 3 to 4 weeks after complete the biometrics ?
Thanks !
It’s both. It’s to ensure an applicant is not stealing someone’s else identity and it will serve as a record to prevent anyone stealing the applicant’s identity in the future. If there’s a further wait then it’s usually related to the arrangement of the citizenship ceremony for over-18s.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

JaridineHK is an unknown quantity at this point

It’s both. It’s to ensure an applicant is not stealing someone’s else identity and it will serve as a record to prevent anyone stealing the applicant’s identity in the future. If there’s a further wait then it’s usually related to the arrangement of the citizenship ceremony for over-18s.
I see , Thanks for info.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 2:39 pm
PPK
Just Joined

UPDATE
Just received biometric letter for my daughter, thanks again BIP
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by PPK
UPDATE
Just received biometric letter for my daughter, thanks again BIP
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

KGailis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bip,

Hope you are keeping well.
In May 2018 we chatted about double descent citizenship and in June 2018 I applied at Home Affairs for my mother’s birth certificate. Well after almost 2.5 yrs it’s finally ready for collection.

I have a few questions I was hoping you'd be able to answer before I do my online application.
1. The application requires two referees. Do they both have to be British?
2. Do they have to write a reference letter?
3. Can such reference letter be done over email (print it off) considering I'm not in the same country as them?
4. Can I send certified copies of the documents and my passport that they require for the application?
5. Do I print off the completed application and send it in with the documents or do I get a reference number once the application is submitted online?
6. Would I need to include a covering/motivational letter in with the documents?
7. If I don’t have my deceased mothers expired passport could that be a problem for the application?

Thanks in advance and for all the help you give to everyone on this forum 🤗

Last edited by KGailis; Oct 23rd 2020 at 9:17 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KGailis
Hi Bip,

In May 2018 we chatted about double descent citizenship and in June 2018 I applied at Home Affairs for my mother’s birth certificate. Well after almost 2.5 yrs it’s finally ready for collection.

I have a few questions I was hoping you'd be able to answer before I do my online application.
3. Can such reference letter be done over email (print it off) considering I'm not in the same country as them?
4. Can I send certified copies of the documents and my passport that they require for the application?
5. Do I print off the completed application and send it in with the documents or do I get a reference number once the application is submitted online?
6. Would I need to include a covering/motivational letter in with the documents?

Goodness.... 2.5 years waiting for a birth certificate! Looking back at your earlier posts it would appear you qualified for an Ancestry Visa (grandfather Scottish) .

Wonder what caused the delay?

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Oct 23rd 2020 at 8:55 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Goodness.... 2.5 years waiting for a birth certificate! Looking back at your earlier posts it would appear you qualified for an Ancestry Visa (grandfather Scottish) .

Wonder what caused the delay?
I know crazy right! Apparently it has been at home affairs since April but they've been closed since our first lockdown in March so wouldn't have made any difference. As it was I had to go in December and submit an escalation form and I’m sure that’s what got them moving.

I used to have ILR but it expired since I’ve been out the country for more than 2 years, also ancestry visa is more expensive than citizenship 😊
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know crazy right! Apparently it has been at home affairs since April but they've been closed since our first lockdown in March so wouldn't have made any difference. As it was I had to go in December and submit an escalation form and I’m sure that’s what got them moving.

I used to have ILR but it expired since I’ve been out the country for more than 2 years, also ancestry visa is more expensive than citizenship 😊
From reading many posts of people trying for British Citizenship based on parents citizenship (where the parents history is complicated to say the least), getting an Ancestry visa seems way less onerous.
Few hundred pounds more true, but months, not years, to obtain.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
From reading many posts of people trying for British Citizenship based on parents citizenship (where the parents history is complicated to say the least), getting an Ancestry visa seems way less onerous.
Few hundred pounds more true, but months, not years, to obtain.
My circumstances are not that complicated, South African born mother who was a British citizen through ancestry born in 1945, British born grandfather, myself born in 1980. All similar details to others who have successfully received citizenship. What do you think the reason would be that I wouldn’t get it?
also ancestry visa and savings component is more like R40,000 😊
Old Oct 24th 2020, 12:51 am

Hi Bip,

7. If I don’t have my deceased mothers expired passport could that be a problem for the application?

1. Each referee show know you personally. One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing or is a member of a professional body (full list). The other referee must normally be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.
2. No, but there's a proforma they need to sign. When you complete the online form there's a PDF you'll need to download for each referee.
3. The proforma could be signed in ink and then a scan emailed to you to upload however your passport photo will need to be stuck to the proforma so you would need to either post them a photograph or send them a digital photo which they'll need to have printed out on photographic paper.
4. You just need to upload scans of your documents.
5. No, the online application itself is sufficient. You'll then need to book an appointment to give your biometrics.
6. No.
7. It's better to send it if you have it but it's not a showstopper if you don't. You may wish to include a note saying your mother is deceased and it's no longer available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.