British Citizenship by Discretion (CBR post 1982)

Old Feb 24th 2024, 11:58 am
Just Joined

carl_robson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Citizenship by Discretion (CBR post 1982)

Hi Kelsey,

It all stemmed from right of abode, and they didn’t acknowledge that they could have become BOCs if it weren’t for gender discrimination (unsurprisingly). I doubt there will be a change in their stance unless successfully challenged in the courts, unfortunately.

I was tempted to submit another application arguing that they were now discriminated against because of their age (since the Home Office are allowing children under 18 to be registered if their parents applied on the basis of a female grandparent) but decided it wasn’t worth it.

Fingers crossed that there’s change in the future!

Old Feb 24th 2024, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Snowy45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Theo808
any news?
I forgot to update this thread, I did actually get approval the week before Christmas.

i am however still waiting on my ceremony, which is taking surprisingly longer than I thought. I did get notified about 6 weeks after approval that my certificate is in the country, so really am hoping the ceremony will be any day now.
Old Feb 24th 2024, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

kelseyk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks carl_robson! This is extremely helpful. I was born in 1970, before the Imigration Act of 1971 required the Right of Abode. I'm interested in your thoughts as to if your friend had been born in 1970 if that would have made a difference?
Old Feb 24th 2024, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately it won’t make a difference as it’ll be about right of abode in the context of the 1981 act, so you’d be treated in the same way as my friend. I wish I had better news to share, apologies!
Old Feb 25th 2024, 12:04 am
Just Joined

kelseyk is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure that is the case as I would have been registered at birth and a UK citizen in 1970. Then in 1971 when Right of Abode was established, I would already be a citizen and have ROA automatically. The provision states "A citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies (CUKC) who was born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the UK or Islands." This was reconfirmed in the 1983 law. So unless they are picking and choosing which aspects to make retroactive, I think I may have a different case than your friend. Unless I am missing something completely?
Old Feb 25th 2024, 9:49 am
Just Joined

The 1971 act provides ROA for individuals born in the UK, plus the children and grandchildren of such individuals. So if the relevant ancestor was your great grandparent (same as my friend), you wouldn’t be eligible.