Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Applying for an EEA family permit with British/Italian nationality

Applying for an EEA family permit with British/Italian nationality

Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Foffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Applying for an EEA family permit with British/Italian nationality

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I would like to think you are right although resuming citizenship under S.13(3) after giving it up for EEA immigration purposes is, I suspect, untested waters for the Home Office. It will be interesting to see their reaction. If they did decide to be petty then naturalisation would still be an option unless HMG had serious character concerns about the OP.
In 5 years I am going to say I gave up my British Citizenship in order to get Japanese citizenship (I live in Japan and my husband is Japanese, I can get Japanese citizenship after 3 years or marriage). But then I changed my mind and we moved to the UK. I know Italy is another country but (for example) my brother (who, like me, has British and Italian Citizenship) gave up his Italian Citizenship because he didn't want to to the military service (mandatory in Italy in the past) and got it back super easy with no problems.
Come on, I am not a terrorist, I was born in the UK, my mother is British, my father got his British Nationality, my brother is British, my brother's wife is Peruvian and got her British Nationality recently.
I strongly doubt they will not give me back my British Nationality.
I am aware of the risks, but if I stay in Japan I am going to commit suicide so there is no other option for me now. We don't have the money for the Surinder Singh route.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 27th 2018 at 8:40 am.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice
Default Re: Applying for an EEA family permit with British/Italian nationality

As long as you have thought it through and know that there is a risk that, in the future, there may be issues with getting Brit Cit back, just go for it. Don't worry too much about the future. No-one knows what might happen.

I've wanted to go home for a while so I renounced BC in order to make this easier. I could have done Surinder Singh but thought it was better just to go back to the UK directly. I know that quite a few people have renounced recently.

As long as you can make it to 5 years in the UK (where you get PR) you won't have to leave the UK again if you don't want to. Your children (if you have any) will also be able to get Brit Cit as long as you have UK PR (Right?). For me, the most important thing is PR.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 27th 2018 at 8:40 am.