Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Applying for an EEA family permit with British/Italian nationality

Applying for an EEA family permit with British/Italian nationality

Old Apr 24th 2014, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Foffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to behold
Default Applying for an EEA family permit with British/Italian nationality

Hello,
new here. and I am married with a Japanese man, we live in Japan. I have dual nationality, British and Italian. I wonder if I can enter the UK as an Italian and if I can ask for my husband's family permit or they will refuse because I am also British. If I enter the country with my Italian passport the laws for an Italian citizen should be followed, right? Wrong probably...
Do you know someone who was in the same position as me?
Thank you.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 27th 2018 at 8:36 pm. Reason: privacy
Old Apr 25th 2014, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for an EEA family permit with British/Italian nationality

Originally Posted by Foffion
Hello,
new here. and I am married with a Japanese man, we live in Japan. I have dual nationality, British and Italian. I wonder if I can enter the UK as an Italian and if I can ask for my husband's family permit or they will refuse because I am also British. If I enter the country with my Italian passport the laws for an Italian citizen should be followed, right? Wrong probably...
Do you know someone who was in the same position as me?
Thank you.

Those who are Brits and another EU national, are treated as British. The EEA form asks if you are British.

Have you worked in another EU country?

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 27th 2018 at 8:37 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Foffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by formula
Those who are Brits and another EU national, are treated as British. The EEA form asks if you are British.

Have you worked in another EU country?
Hi there,
you are probably right. I saw the EEA form today and it doesn't ask if I am British. It only asks where I was born and the number or my (Italian) passport so when they read that I was born in the UK of course they are going to check if I have also British Nationality. Yes I worked in Italy but many years ago so the route now would be to use the Surinder Singh Route or... give up my British Nationality or win the lottery.
Thank you for your time.

Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
you are probably right. I saw the EEA form today and it doesn't ask if I am British. It only asks where I was born and the number or my (Italian) passport so when they read that I was born in the UK of course they are going to check if I have also British Nationality. Yes I worked in Italy but many years ago so the route now would be to use the Surinder Singh Route or... give up my British Nationality or win the lottery.
Thank you for your time.
You could either follow the UK immigration rules for a spouse visa for him. You can do more than one job to reach the £18,600- and the minimum wage in the UK is £6.31 per hour. Or use savings and wages.

Or ask on this following site if the fact you have already worked in Italy, means that you have already exercised your EU worker free movement rights and can use the EU route to bring your spouse to the UK. If nobody on this site knows these current rules, they will on the following site.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea...-applications/

Be aware that EU laws are always changing and that the UK could leave the EU. The UK spouse route would be the safest route to UK citizenship for your OH.

Old Apr 25th 2014, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by formula
You could either follow the UK immigration rules for a spouse visa for him. You can do more than one job to reach the £18,600- and the minimum wage in the UK is £6.31 per hour. Or use savings and wages.

Or ask on this following site if the fact you have already worked in Italy, means that you have already exercised your EU worker free movement rights and can use the EU route to bring your spouse to the UK. If nobody on this site knows these current rules, they will on the following site.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea...-applications/

Be aware that EU laws are always changing and that the UK could leave the EU. The UK spouse route would be the safest route to UK citizenship for your OH.
Hi there,
thank you for your answer. I will use the link you gave me and all the information. I thought about everything and I was sorry to remember that I worked in Italy with my Italian passport so it will not be valid.
I don't have enough savings. I am thinking of giving up my British Nationality because I have Japan and I can't live here anymore.
Thank you.

Old Apr 25th 2014, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thank you for your answer and thank you for the link. I don't have any savings and I worked in Italy with my Italian passport so that would not be valid so I am thinking of giving up my British Nationality because I hate Japan and I have to leave this country as soon as possible.
Thank you.

Old Apr 26th 2014, 11:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thank you for your answer and thank you for the link. I don't have any savings and I worked in Italy with my Italian passport so that would not be valid so I am thinking of giving up my British Nationality because I hate Japan and I have to leave this country as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Do you work in Japan? So long as you earn £18,600+ now, you can apply for a spouse visa now, then you'll need a job (offer) for at least £18,600 in the UK. Depending on the job offer you may end up having to go back to the UK ahead of your husband.

Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Why not try to work in another European country, e.g. Spain/France etc (one of which you are not a citizen)? If that works then you will be able to apply for an EEA Family Permit for him to go back to the UK with you.

You can search for this using 'Surinder Singh'. Be sure to pay attention to the 'centre of life' requirements.

You could consider renouncing British citizenship, but, as some people have said, the EU route is definitely not guaranteed forever.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do you work in Japan? So long as you earn £18,600+ now, you can apply for a spouse visa now, then you'll need a job (offer) for at least £18,600 in the UK. Depending on the job offer you may end up having to go back to the UK ahead of your husband.
Pulaski, I don't earn £18600 now and there is no way that I will get a job (or offer) for £18600 in the UK. I don't have a degree, I worked at Sainsbury's, let's be realistic. I am a normal person.

Last edited by Foffion; Apr 26th 2014 at 2:29 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chaoclive
Why not try to work in another European country, e.g. Spain/France etc (one of which you are not a citizen)? If that works then you will be able to apply for an EEA Family Permit for him to go back to the UK with you.

You can search for this using 'Surinder Singh'. Be sure to pay attention to the 'centre of life' requirements.

You could consider renouncing British citizenship, but, as some people have said, the EU route is definitely not guaranteed forever.
Hi Chaoclive,
thank you for your answer. We have considered the SS Route but now you have to work at least 6 months in another European country and we don't have that kind of money. At least in the UK we have my family who can help us at the beginning.
Thanks.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 2:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... I am a normal person.
WTF does that mean? Do you think I have three arms?

I am sorry to hear that you are unqualified and only likely to get low-paid work, but not all "unskilled" work is low paid. I was paid an annualised £15K+ almost 30 years ago labouring in a warehouse, and they were always trying to hire, and this was in the middle of the high unemployment years of the mid 1980's.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 26th 2014 at 2:56 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Hi Chaoclive,
thank you for your answer. We have considered the SS Route but now you have to work at least 6 months in another European country and we don't have that kind of money. At least in the UK we have my family who can help us at the beginning.
Thanks.
Guess renouncing your British Citizenship is the only option then. I have just done this. It took 2 months in total and cost 187GBP. I live in China so I didn't send my second (Irish) passport as I needed it to enter China. I just sent my birth certificate, a copy of my Irish passport, a copy of my current visa for China, a copy of my most recent entry stamp into China (after the initial letter was sent to the Home Office). In theory, this should work as I'm no longer a dual citizen...but who knows. We will be applying for the family permit in May/June.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chaoclive
Guess renouncing your British Citizenship is the only option then. I have just done this. It took 2 months in total and cost 187GBP. I live in China so I didn't send my second (Irish) passport as I needed it to enter China. I just sent my birth certificate, a copy of my Irish passport, a copy of my current visa for China, a copy of my most recent entry stamp into China (after the initial letter was sent to the Home Office). In theory, this should work as I'm no longer a dual citizen...but who knows. We will be applying for the family permit in May/June.

Hope this helps a bit.
So Chaoclive you had Irish and British Citizenship? Of course it will work, they can't refuse. Funny how as British Citizens we have no rights in the UK and as citizens from another European country we have rights in the UK. It breaks my heart to give up my British Nationality because I am a proud British and I am deeply ashamed to be half-Italian.
Chaoclive, our husband/wife can get British Nationality after 5 years of living in the UK so we will be able to have our British Nationality back. You can.
Please keep me informed how it goes for you.
Thank you.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 27th 2018 at 8:38 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

WTF does that mean? Do you think I have three arms?

I am sorry to hear that you are unqualified and only likely to get low-paid work, but not all "unskilled" work is low paid. I was paid an annualised £15K+ almost 30 years ago labouring in a warehouse, and they were always trying to hire, and this was in the middle of the high unemployment years of the mid 1980's.
Maybe if you have three arms you can work quicker so they pay you more
Anyway, you are right on everything, but I can't wait to find a job that pays £18600 per year. I must leave Japan NOW.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 27th 2018 at 8:38 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

I was paid an annualised £15K+ almost 30 years ago labouring in a warehouse, and they were always trying to hire, and this was in the middle of the high unemployment years of the mid 1980's.
Sounds to me like inflation has been humongous since the mid-1980s, and warehouse wages have not kept up. According to Payscale, the median warehouse worker wage in the UK today is GBP 6/hour. 52 weeks @ 40 hours/week means GBP 12.5K per year... in today's pounds.

The 15K you quoted, is that in 2014 or 1985 pounds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.