Reload this Page >

One Fantastic Year!!!!

One Fantastic Year!!!!

Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:32 am
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One Fantastic Year!!!!

Originally Posted by thesidds
Wow, I can hardly beleive it's been one whole year since those horrendous goodbyes!!! I have to say that since the moment we stepped off the plane, we have not looked back once
It's been crazy, we've lived in 3 differant rental houses and will hopefully be buying our own place very soon (even if the exchange rate makes me weep). OH loves his job and is working for a fantastic family, who have basically adopted us Our eldest son started kindergaten last September and loves it, We're all soo impressed with his school and teacher. I have found a little part time office job at a local organic granary, so our youngest son goes to pre-school twice a week and has made loads of new friends!
We have met so many lovely people and are starting to form some really good friendships. Living in the North Okanagan, there aren't so many expats so a majority of our friends are Canadian, which I think helps as we spend less time reminissing! I can honestly say that since we've been here we have not had a weekend to ourselves, just so many invites and local events. Last summer was amazing, we spent so much time on the beaches, lakes and floating down the river Camping, quading, boating, rodeos . . . . .
I don't feel like we've experienced a true Canadian winter yet, as its been so mild, but when we did have snow it was fantastic. We've all learnt to ice skate and spent several days at the local ski hill.
My latest adventure is joining the local roller derby team . . . .what a blast
I could rave all day about how wonderful life is, but basically we all love it - the lifestyle, the people, the weather, the landscape, OH reckons we're Canadians born in the wrong country
Are there any downers????? Of course we miss family and friends. I often struggle with the guilt of taking our boys away from loved ones. But overall absolutely NO REGRETS!

Oh Congratulations!! Wonderfully encouraging post.. so pleased all has worked out for you..

Top Cat
Old Mar 31st 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice

We have 2 boys (6 and 4). Our biggest worry is that we're bringing them up in a kind of eutopia that doesn't exsist in many places in the world. I can honestly say that I have never felt as safe as I feel here! It's only a small town but there are soooo many facilities for the kids - several parks, ice rink, brand new ourdoor pool, skate park. There are 2 elementary schools, a middle school and a high school - all with great reputations! My eldest is in kindergarten and we are very impressed so far. The teachers have been fantastic and the curriculum is so varied compared to my brief experience in the UK. The teenagers seem to be so much more involved in the community, so there is not the lack of communication and divide that so often happens between agegroups.
Are you considering a move to the area????
Sounds as if you have made a great decision moving out there. We're a fair bit behind you, just putting in our application as we speak, going in on the FSW scheme, all our numbers add up so hopefully we'll be okay.

I have been to your area many, many moons ago but my wife and daughter haven't. In all honesty we were looking at the USA as we know California pretty well and we're there sometimes twice a year. But since our little daughter arrived i've looked at different areas in a completely different way. We love the US but just not sure that on the whole it's the best place to raise littluns (we've got another one on the way). I know that can be said about everywhere in the world but it just seems that Canada still has some of the old family and social values that we used to have many years ago. Coupled up with the fact that the USA is a closed shop unless you are qualified enough to work for NASA, Canada seems like a natural choice. Taking into consideration the landscape, mild weather and style of living, we think the Okanagan is our first choice, maybe a little south of where you are though.

Having said all that our application may come back as refused and we'll be stuck here but i do hope not !!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I can hardly beleive it's been one whole year since those horrendous goodbyes!!! I have to say that since the moment we stepped off the plane, we have not looked back once
It's been crazy, we've lived in 3 differant rental houses and will hopefully be buying our own place very soon (even if the exchange rate makes me weep). OH loves his job and is working for a fantastic family, who have basically adopted us Our eldest son started kindergaten last September and loves it, We're all soo impressed with his school and teacher. I have found a little part time office job at a local organic granary, so our youngest son goes to pre-school twice a week and has made loads of new friends!
We have met so many lovely people and are starting to form some really good friendships. Living in the North Okanagan, there aren't so many expats so a majority of our friends are Canadian, which I think helps as we spend less time reminissing! I can honestly say that since we've been here we have not had a weekend to ourselves, just so many invites and local events. Last summer was amazing, we spent so much time on the beaches, lakes and floating down the river Camping, quading, boating, rodeos . . . . .
I don't feel like we've experienced a true Canadian winter yet, as its been so mild, but when we did have snow it was fantastic. We've all learnt to ice skate and spent several days at the local ski hill.
My latest adventure is joining the local roller derby team . . . .what a blast
I could rave all day about how wonderful life is, but basically we all love it - the lifestyle, the people, the weather, the landscape, OH reckons we're Canadians born in the wrong country
Are there any downers????? Of course we miss family and friends. I often struggle with the guilt of taking our boys away from loved ones. But overall absolutely NO REGRETS!
What a great post, so encouraging,
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

We're so pleased that you have all settled well in Armstrong! We hope to get together with you again soon ... this time your place!
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:03 am
Just Joined

MissMcT is just really niceMissMcT is just really niceMissMcT is just really niceMissMcT is just really niceMissMcT is just really niceMissMcT is just really niceMissMcT is just really niceMissMcT is just really nice

Congratulations to you all - you sound like you're buzzing with happiness!

My big brother moved to Kelowna with is partner and dog back in September and they've never looked back either - they're loving life. We're coming out for a 3 week holiday in June, including 5 days in Kelowna.

We're also in the process of a PR application ourselves, though we're thinking we'd start off in Vancouver and see what happens. I'm struggling to get my head around things because of the family thing - haven't told my parents yet because I just can't face it so waiting until it 'feels' right to tell them (at least after the holiday).

Congrats once again - long may your happiness continue
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Congratulations - it sounds like you've settled in really well.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Atlas is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:59 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post, gald you are enjoying the Okanagan.

I'm visiting Kelowna soon & I like the more western / rural feel of the Vernon area though too.