Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

One Fantastic Year!!!!

One Fantastic Year!!!!

Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about
Default One Fantastic Year!!!!

Wow, I can hardly beleive it's been one whole year since those horrendous goodbyes!!! I have to say that since the moment we stepped off the plane, we have not looked back once
It's been crazy, we've lived in 3 differant rental houses and will hopefully be buying our own place very soon (even if the exchange rate makes me weep). OH loves his job and is working for a fantastic family, who have basically adopted us Our eldest son started kindergaten last September and loves it, We're all soo impressed with his school and teacher. I have found a little part time office job at a local organic granary, so our youngest son goes to pre-school twice a week and has made loads of new friends!
We have met so many lovely people and are starting to form some really good friendships. Living in the North Okanagan, there aren't so many expats so a majority of our friends are Canadian, which I think helps as we spend less time reminissing! I can honestly say that since we've been here we have not had a weekend to ourselves, just so many invites and local events. Last summer was amazing, we spent so much time on the beaches, lakes and floating down the river Camping, quading, boating, rodeos . . . . .
I don't feel like we've experienced a true Canadian winter yet, as its been so mild, but when we did have snow it was fantastic. We've all learnt to ice skate and spent several days at the local ski hill.
My latest adventure is joining the local roller derby team . . . .what a blast
I could rave all day about how wonderful life is, but basically we all love it - the lifestyle, the people, the weather, the landscape, OH reckons we're Canadians born in the wrong country
Are there any downers????? Of course we miss family and friends. I often struggle with the guilt of taking our boys away from loved ones. But overall absolutely NO REGRETS!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:01 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Fantastic Year!!!!

Congratulations and best wishes for many more happy years.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:00 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

duncanspilaweller is on a distinguished road

Im glad to read your post as i am due to leave blighty in a couple of weeks and have been having a hard time regarding leaving the olds and brother/sister etc.

Congrats on a successful year and here's to many more of them!

Dunc
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

Dunc, IMO you're about to go through the hardest part!!! So many "Lasts", so many goodbyes! Keep your chin up and always remember the reasons why you decided to make the move in the 1st place. Skype and Facebook make keeping in touch soooo easy!
Keep moving forward and embrace all that is new and exciting, it's the most amazing adventure
Good Luck
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

Originally Posted by thesidds
Wow, I can hardly beleive it's been one whole year since those horrendous goodbyes!!! I have to say that since the moment we stepped off the plane, we have not looked back once
It's been crazy, we've lived in 3 differant rental houses and will hopefully be buying our own place very soon (even if the exchange rate makes me weep). OH loves his job and is working for a fantastic family, who have basically adopted us Our eldest son started kindergaten last September and loves it, We're all soo impressed with his school and teacher. I have found a little part time office job at a local organic granary, so our youngest son goes to pre-school twice a week and has made loads of new friends!
We have met so many lovely people and are starting to form some really good friendships. Living in the North Okanagan, there aren't so many expats so a majority of our friends are Canadian, which I think helps as we spend less time reminissing! I can honestly say that since we've been here we have not had a weekend to ourselves, just so many invites and local events. Last summer was amazing, we spent so much time on the beaches, lakes and floating down the river Camping, quading, boating, rodeos . . . . .
I don't feel like we've experienced a true Canadian winter yet, as its been so mild, but when we did have snow it was fantastic. We've all learnt to ice skate and spent several days at the local ski hill.
My latest adventure is joining the local roller derby team . . . .what a blast
I could rave all day about how wonderful life is, but basically we all love it - the lifestyle, the people, the weather, the landscape, OH reckons we're Canadians born in the wrong country
Are there any downers????? Of course we miss family and friends. I often struggle with the guilt of taking our boys away from loved ones. But overall absolutely NO REGRETS!
Congratulations on such a happy first year. It's good to read an encouraging post. I leave in about three weeks and have just started the goodbyes, so it's good to read a very positive post:-)
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

benjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NoreenC
Congratulations on such a happy first year. It's good to read an encouraging post. I leave in about three weeks and have just started the goodbyes, so it's good to read a very positive post:-)
congrats on your first year in Canada and hear to many more :-)
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice

That's a great post Ssids ! Out of curiousity, what part of North Okanagan?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by powerwrap
That's a great post Ssids ! Out of curiousity, what part of North Okanagan?
Thanks . . .we're in Armstrong, just north of Vernon
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice

Did you visit the Okanagan before you decided to settle there ?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Did you visit the Okanagan before you decided to settle there ?
yes, we visited during our honeymoon in 1999, then again on a recce trip in 2008.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

yes, we visited during our honeymoon in 1999, then again on a recce trip in 2008.
What was it that attracted you to Armstrong over and above other towns/cities in that area ?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

What was it that attracted you to Armstrong over and above other towns/cities in that area ?
After our recce, we decided that anywhere between Salmon Arm and Vernon would suit us best. Kelowna was too big and seemed more of a holiday resort than a home town, any further south was just too damn hot in the summer!!! We have dreams of eventually buying a small acreage, and these are far more available in the North Okanagan. OH got a job offer in Enderby (which is another GREAT small town). Here in Armstrong we're half way between Enderby and Vernon, it has a real rustic, rural charm and is so convenient for everything! We're soooo pleased with our choice!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

After our recce, we decided that anywhere between Salmon Arm and Vernon would suit us best. Kelowna was too big and seemed more of a holiday resort than a home town, any further south was just too damn hot in the summer!!! We have dreams of eventually buying a small acreage, and these are far more available in the North Okanagan. OH got a job offer in Enderby (which is another GREAT small town). Here in Armstrong we're half way between Enderby and Vernon, it has a real rustic, rural charm and is so convenient for everything! We're soooo pleased with our choice!
Sounds lovely. Is it a safe place for kiddies ? What are the schools like ?
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Sounds lovely. Is it a safe place for kiddies ? What are the schools like ?
We have 2 boys (6 and 4). Our biggest worry is that we're bringing them up in a kind of eutopia that doesn't exsist in many places in the world. I can honestly say that I have never felt as safe as I feel here! It's only a small town but there are soooo many facilities for the kids - several parks, ice rink, brand new ourdoor pool, skate park. There are 2 elementary schools, a middle school and a high school - all with great reputations! My eldest is in kindergarten and we are very impressed so far. The teachers have been fantastic and the curriculum is so varied compared to my brief experience in the UK. The teenagers seem to be so much more involved in the community, so there is not the lack of communication and divide that so often happens between agegroups.
Are you considering a move to the area????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.