3 weeks

Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 weeks

Originally Posted by mancy
Sorry if I caused offense. I didn't mean to. I grew up in a multicultural society, so thats not something I need to get used to. Where I come from Asian is a way of describing a person of Indian or Packistani heritage. Not someone who is say for example Chinese.
I don't think you have caused offense, but it is best to get used to the terminology in case you unwittingly do.

People who originate from India/Pakistan/Sri Lanka are usually referred to as East Indians or Indo-Canadians. Asians are people who originate from China/Korea/Japan etc.

I can't make any useful suggestions without knowing more of your circumstances, but we have been here almost 11 years are don't regret our move for a moment. That said, it's not for everyone. There are even expats that don't like living here! Of course, there are also quite a few who complain and criticize but never get around to doing anything constructive about it, like moving.

Give yourself time. Feeling low after a big move is quite normal. Try reading some of the wiki articles like these ones ...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Culture_Shock-Canada

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fitting_into_Canada
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

mancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't think you have caused offense, but it is best to get used to the terminology in case you unwittingly do.

People who originate from India/Pakistan/Sri Lanka are usually referred to as East Indians or Indo-Canadians. Asians are people who originate from China/Korea/Japan etc.

I can't make any useful suggestions without knowing more of your circumstances, but we have been here almost 11 years are don't regret our move for a moment. That said, it's not for everyone. There are even expats that don't like living here! Of course, there are also quite a few who complain and criticize but never get around to doing anything constructive about it, like moving.

Give yourself time. Feeling low after a big move is quite normal. Try reading some of the wiki articles like these ones ...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Culture_Shock-Canada

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fitting_into_Canada
Thankyou, those articals are actually really helpful, I feel a bit silly now after reading them, but its nice to know I'm having fairly normal reactions to the big move.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

I like and agree with the commenst in your reply.

I think as this is a democracy, ppl should be able to air there views commens, wether justified or not.

as an aside.

The word "Asian" means different things.

Americanism: Asian = oriental
Anglo/brit: Asian = Indian

Technically you can use the word EAST Asian to identify as Indian

Indian = catch all phrase describing, Indian, Pakistani, in fact any nationality which is or could be or of Indian origin Descent.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
In being here 3 weeks the OP is unlikely to appreciate that the people s/he is talking about are called Asians in Canada (a fact I don't accept as they are not called that in Calgary).

How can one actually tell if they are Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Pakistani, Indian (in the "from India" sense) etc? You are evidently much more skilled in being able to do this than the OP is.

S/he has posted his/her observations. They may not accord with your's, that doesn't make them any less valid.

Why is it that peole appear not to be allowed to post anything negative on this forum without the "senior" members jumping down their throats?

For the OP, my wife took a very long time to adjust to life in Canada but, now that she has, loves it here. I doubt that very few get off the plane and find uptopia. In time, you may do so, but a period of adjustment is required. It is not the UK, if it was, would you have moved here?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mancy
Sorry if I caused offense. I didn't mean to. I grew up in a multicultural society, so thats not something I need to get used to. Where I come from Asian is a way of describing a person of Indian or Packistani heritage. Not someone who is say for example Chinese.

I was really down when I wrote this post, everything was getting to me, I've come to the conclusion that I must look like the Canadian equivalant of Myra Hindley or something (that would explain the shocked expression of some people who gawp at me) I'm learning to just ignore the stares now though.

Its really hard adjusting to it here, and having none of my family around. I love the scenery here, I think once summer kicks in I'll be happier. I have encounted some really nice people, very friendly, I guess sometimes bad encounters can over shadow the good, especially when your a bit down anyway.
Don't feel bad for saying how you feel, i can relate to exactly what your saying, i remeber when all of us hubby, myself and two kids went to the zoo in Calgary (no jokes please!) and being stared at exactly the same we actually had a crowd when we sat at a table to eat because we was heard speaking, that was a very uncomfortable moment.
Having said all this and we are now back in the uk, i loved Canada and i personally did not want to leave but for other family reasons we had to, i would come back tomorrow if i could, miss seeing the mountains from my window
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as someone said just give it a bit longer and just live your life and think of the starer's with no clothes on maybe wave lol you never know it may work...
Old May 30th 2010, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

anewPR is on a distinguished road

I am sure it is your accent rather than your looks.

I have been living in Vancouver for 2 1/2 years now and everyday someone stops me at least once to ask where I come from in England or to tell me how much they love Corrie....LOL

People will just stand with their mouths open staring when I talk to them too. At first it made me very uncomfortable but now I am use to it.

Canada is a wonderful Country and the opportunities for young people here are far greater than the UK. One of the reasons I came here was because I had a 15 year old son and wanted a better life for him. Which he has here, so much more freedom, sports and future.

Stick around a while.....you will learn to love Canada
Old May 31st 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

PJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jaye944
I like and agree with the commenst in your reply.

I think as this is a democracy, ppl should be able to air there views commens, wether justified or not.

as an aside.

The word "Asian" means different things.

Americanism: Asian = oriental
Anglo/brit: Asian = Indian

Technically you can use the word EAST Asian to identify as Indian

Indian = catch all phrase describing, Indian, Pakistani, in fact any nationality which is or could be or of Indian origin Descent.
Don't get caught up about the whole "Asian" v "Oriental" to describe people from a somewhat similar (okay not always that similar) ethnic background. You learn by what is acceptable terminology by expererience so as long as you're not toatlly offensive, you should be okay. In most of the english speaking world "Asian" seems to mean south east Asian or Chinese. In the UK it means Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, etc. Using the term "oriental" in Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand would raise some eyebrows as being a bit patronising yet there are numerous terms used in these countries that would have Brits screaming racism. All a learning curve.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:19 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Mancy DONT PANIC - I think its a Burnaby thing - I have lived here for a year now - Kiwilass has been here longer and am sure she will back me on this. . . -I must say yes - the older "oriental" ladies do stare on the bus -I just smile back and start talking to / at them!

Anyway - if you want to meet for a coffee - or wine - oh pl pl say wine . . . . so that I can stare at you and then report back here that OMG she / he looks like a bag of spanners please feel free to PM me