3 weeks

Old Mar 31st 2010, 4:08 am
Just Joined

mancy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 weeks

So far I hate it here. Been three weeks.

Its rude to stare! Wish Canadians realised that (also wished orientals realised its rude to stare and laugh)

Has anyone despised the first month or so then gone on to like it here?

I'm in Burnaby, love the place, hate the people, I didn't realise Canadians were so rude.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:56 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 weeks

Originally Posted by mancy

Its rude to stare! Wish Canadians realised that (also wished orientals realised its rude to stare and laugh)

I'm in Burnaby, love the place, hate the people,

I didn't realise Canadians were so rude.
What a mixed message. You hate it here but you love the place (Burnaby).
You state Canadians are rude but you mention orientals who stare and laugh. To call someone oriental is rude, IMO. If you are unable to identify their individual nationality, then they should be grouped as Asians.Get over yourself. This is a multi-cultural nation so you are going to get different reactions from different cultures. Stop thinking of yourself as being so important.
Stop generalizing. Canadians are no more rude or polite than Brits.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:57 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Please post a photograph. We can then assess whether the pointing and staring Canadian/Orientals are justified or not. Alternatively, don't unpack, just get on the plane back to Blighty.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
What a mixed message. You hate it here but you love the place (Burnaby).
You state Canadians are rude but you mention orientals who stare and laugh. To call someone oriental is rude, IMO. If you are unable to identify their individual nationality, then they should be grouped as Asians.Get over yourself. This is a multi-cultural nation so you are going to get different reactions from different cultures. Stop thinking of yourself as being so important.
Stop generalizing. Canadians are no more rude or polite than Brits.
In being here 3 weeks the OP is unlikely to appreciate that the people s/he is talking about are called Asians in Canada (a fact I don't accept as they are not called that in Calgary).

How can one actually tell if they are Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Pakistani, Indian (in the "from India" sense) etc? You are evidently much more skilled in being able to do this than the OP is.

S/he has posted his/her observations. They may not accord with your's, that doesn't make them any less valid.

Why is it that peole appear not to be allowed to post anything negative on this forum without the "senior" members jumping down their throats?

For the OP, my wife took a very long time to adjust to life in Canada but, now that she has, loves it here. I doubt that very few get off the plane and find uptopia. In time, you may do so, but a period of adjustment is required. It is not the UK, if it was, would you have moved here?
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:19 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

That's a shame you feel that way but it is only 3 weeks and perhaps you just need longer to adjust and settle in. Had you been to the area on a recce trip before you made the move over? Perhaps you would have had a feel for things before you moved.

I am surprised by your comments re staring and rudeness. If anything, I have found the Canadians to be anything but rude. We have found them to be very friendly, welcoming and accommodating.

I hope as time goes by, you will settle in better. Maybe you've just had a few bad experiences with people and need to broaden your horizons and meet more people and hopefully you will see things in a better light.

I'm in Burnaby, love the place, hate the people, I didn't realise Canadians were so rude.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: 3 weeks

Ive never noticed canadians staring particularly and they are generally only rude once they know you and can do so without causing offence?

3 weeks isnt long enough to judge a place by, Give it at least a year then see what you think. Hell, 3 weeks isnt even a vacation in some parts of the world.

Having said that, Canada is a multicultural mosaic, different immigrant groups bring the social norms of their part of the world with them, so maybe you are just in the wrong bit of town to feel comfortable?

Last edited by iaink; Mar 31st 2010 at 6:30 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:10 am
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been here in Vancouver nearly 2 weeks and found everyone to be most delightful and polite. Just today, an elderly lady in a cafe commented on a young girls fantastic bottom (she was wearing a very short skirt) then proceeded to tell her boyfriend when he arrived that he had a very fine girlfriend. She managed to do this in the most charming and endearing way.

People make way on the sidewalk and don't try and get in each others way, cars always allow pedestrians to cross at intersections, everyone is helpful and accommodating, across all ethnic groups we have encountered.

I do wish people would stop saying awesome[!] though.

Last edited by oicur0t; Apr 7th 2010 at 4:13 am. Reason: Add a comment
Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

J0n35y will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by oicur0t
cars always allow pedestrians to cross at intersections,
In the very short time I visited Halifax this was actually something that I was really struck by. Such a small thing but it generally didnt matter where I was trying to cross the road - people slowed down and waved me over. It was almost as though they went out of their way to let me cross the road. Like I say, small thing but those are the things that count I suppose.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J0n35y
In the very short time I visited Halifax this was actually something that I was really struck by. Such a small thing but it generally didnt matter where I was trying to cross the road - people slowed down and waved me over. It was almost as though they went out of their way to let me cross the road. Like I say, small thing but those are the things that count I suppose.
Did you not find people did the same in the UK if you were crossing at a pedestrian crossing? It's the law here, that's why they do it
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

J0n35y will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Did you not find people did the same in the UK if you were crossing at a pedestrian crossing? It's the law here, that's why they do it
It was the stopping and waving me over at any point in the street rather than just at intersections that I found to be a pleasant surprise to be honest.

And folk in UK regularly dont stop when people are waiting at a pedestrian crossing! There is a crossing just down the road from my work where I have almost been hit umpteen times, beeped at for being in the middle of the road, etc, etc.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

In being here 3 weeks the OP is unlikely to appreciate that the people s/he is talking about are called Asians in Canada (a fact I don't accept as they are not called that in Calgary).

How can one actually tell if they are Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Pakistani, Indian (in the "from India" sense) etc? You are evidently much more skilled in being able to do this than the OP is.

S/he has posted his/her observations. They may not accord with your's, that doesn't make them any less valid.

Why is it that peole appear not to be allowed to post anything negative on this forum without the "senior" members jumping down their throats?

For the OP, my wife took a very long time to adjust to life in Canada but, now that she has, loves it here. I doubt that very few get off the plane and find uptopia. In time, you may do so, but a period of adjustment is required. It is not the UK, if it was, would you have moved here?
What a great response you posted with regards to peoples observations being less valid and not being allowed to post anything negative. We've been here 14 months and can relate to good and bad comments because it's been far from plain sailing since we arrived. People should allow others who are having a difficult time to express how they feel and maybe, just maybe there's someone out there who can give words of support, advice and encouragement to see them through...after all that's what a discussion forum's all about.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:37 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

don't walk around dressed like coco the clown then
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:43 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually I find it relatively easy to tell most different Asians apart but i agree that oriental is not rude.

When one makes a limited comment like i hate it they all stare - you are opening yourself up to some ribbing - not exactly a well laid out account of the posters experiences and the only question was does it get better?

I've been in Vancouver 17 years - I can't think of one time where someone has stared or laughed at me and i sometimes walk around wearing a bright red uniform with a big floppy hat.

Last edited by dboy; Apr 7th 2010 at 5:46 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

mancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if I caused offense. I didn't mean to. I grew up in a multicultural society, so thats not something I need to get used to. Where I come from Asian is a way of describing a person of Indian or Packistani heritage. Not someone who is say for example Chinese.

I was really down when I wrote this post, everything was getting to me, I've come to the conclusion that I must look like the Canadian equivalant of Myra Hindley or something (that would explain the shocked expression of some people who gawp at me) I'm learning to just ignore the stares now though.

Its really hard adjusting to it here, and having none of my family around. I love the scenery here, I think once summer kicks in I'll be happier. I have encounted some really nice people, very friendly, I guess sometimes bad encounters can over shadow the good, especially when your a bit down anyway.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:39 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if I caused offense. I didn't mean to. I grew up in a multicultural society, so thats not something I need to get used to. Where I come from Asian is a way of describing a person of Indian or Packistani heritage. Not someone who is say for example Chinese.

I was really down when I wrote this post, everything was getting to me, I've come to the conclusion that I must look like the Canadian equivalant of Myra Hindley or something (that would explain the shocked expression of some people who gawp at me) I'm learning to just ignore the stares now though.

Its really hard adjusting to it here, and having none of my family around. I love the scenery here, I think once summer kicks in I'll be happier. I have encounted some really nice people, very friendly, I guess sometimes bad encounters can over shadow the good, especially when your a bit down anyway.
I'm with you on the Asian thing. Many people I know would assume that Asian was referring to someone from the Indian sub continent. It's just a point of reference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.