Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

1887849 minutes Canniversary

1887849 minutes Canniversary

Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1887849 minutes Canniversary

Originally Posted by mojovibe
Hi Journeyman

I've just sent you my CV for you to look at. Don't worry though, I know that your busy and probably won't have time to do anything with it. So there's no rush. Oh and BTW is the IP open book?

Thanks again.
When you write the exam they will provide a code book diagram book calculator a pencil and note paper and the exam sheet & blank electronic readable answer paper.
AIT website
http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/
complete this application form
http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/fo..._qual_cert.pdf
Practice Exam
http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/tr...acticeExam.pdf
Practice Exam Answers
http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/in...ccupations.asp
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
When you write the exam they will provide a code book diagram book calculator a pencil and note paper and the exam sheet & blank electronic readable answer paper.
AIT website
http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/
complete this application form
http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/fo..._qual_cert.pdf
Practice Exam
http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/tr...acticeExam.pdf
Practice Exam Answers
http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/in...ccupations.asp
Hi Journeyman

Thanks for those snippets, had a quick glance at the questions and probably got around 50%. The ones I didn't understand were the ones from the code such as the cable calcs. But when I purchase the code I will understand the terminology of the types of wiring.

Cheers
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

There is available from CSA (?) a self test CD for the TQ exam which has some code questions can't remember what its called ESAT I think. Make sure you get the guide it helps with the intent of the various codes.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ghost-Rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Best off staying in your sector mate ... Still pretty tidy money for a Red-Seal Electrician.

The IP test I sat (NOC 7312) lasted 3 hours, Multi Choice. I sat mine with the ITA in BC.

$120 for the credential assessment and the Test was Free.

You can sit the Exam even if you dont have any Trade cert as long as you can Prove 9000hr of work. This is around 4 years worth.

As said, two shots at it, IIRC I thought you had to be Red-Seal cert to work in Alberta? Well as a Heavy Duty mechanic.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ghost-Rider
Best off staying in your sector mate ... Still pretty tidy money for a Red-Seal Electrician.

The IP test I sat (NOC 7312) lasted 3 hours, Multi Choice. I sat mine with the ITA in BC.

$120 for the credential assessment and the Test was Free.

You can sit the Exam even if you dont have any Trade cert as long as you can Prove 9000hr of work. This is around 4 years worth.

As said, two shots at it, IIRC I thought you had to be Red-Seal cert to work in Alberta? Well as a Heavy Duty mechanic.
This 9000 hours, this can be proven by job references from previous employers right? And maybe the inland revenue from when I was self employed for eight years.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

This 9000 hours, this can be proven by job references from previous employers right? And maybe the inland revenue from when I was self employed for eight years.
Yeah, You need to Send forms to previous employers. (Downloadable from the ITA BC) They fill them out, Outlining duties etc etc.

You can write a self declaration if previous employer references cannot be supplied, This declaration needs to sworn true by a Notary republican.

You need to check local (Canadian) sites for actual requirements.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ghost-Rider
Yeah, You need to Send forms to previous employers. (Downloadable from the ITA BC) They fill them out, Outlining duties etc etc.

You can write a self declaration if previous employer references cannot be supplied, This declaration needs to sworn true by a Notary republican.

You need to check local (Canadian) sites for actual requirements.
Thanks for that, whats a notary republican?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:59 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, whats a notary republican?
A Notary Public maybe.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
A Notary Public maybe.
So would ex manager of a company that no longer exists satisfy this title, along with maybe a loyal customer or a proprietor of an wholesalers that supplied my firm?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

So would ex manager of a company that no longer exists satisfy this title, along with maybe a loyal customer or a proprietor of an wholesalers that supplied my firm?
You will need the Lawyer to copy and to sign as certified true copy of original trade / training certificates. As far as the self employed bit, I ran a Ltd business for six years and simply supplied an explanation and some company returns. Provided they can contact someone who reports to be senior manager or owner to confirm the majority of experience they are satisfied.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:43 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

You need to get all the required documentation from previous employers. These then have to be Notarized by a Notary Public to say that they are genuine and that the statements contained in them are factual. Look up Notary Public in the Yellow Pages to find one near you who can Notarize them. He will ask you to swear that the documents are a true representation of the facts and, if satisfied that they are, will put a seal on them.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Aye Notary Public. Been a while for me

I challenged the Red-Seal in BC (NOC 7312) .. Other Provinces may Vary.

The only Documents that needed to be Notarised are the Self declaration forms. If you cannot submit documentation from previous employers then fill the self declaration forms out and Swear an Oath to the Notary Public that the Info provided is True!

If you look at the ITA Documents you will see the forms that Current/Previous employers need to fill out and the self declaration forms (Statutory Declarations) I also didn't submit any UK certification with the challenge application.

ITA'BC

Forms to Challenge Red-Seal NOC 7312

Sorry I cannot help with the self employed Application.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

Right well thank you for all the help and advice everyone. I am flying to Alberta on the 7th of May and I will do some more fact finding when I get there. Chances are, I might be asking for further advice with regards to this thread that I've hijacked.

Thanks again.
Old May 25th 2010, 12:04 am
Account Closed

Got back from Calgary on Sun 23/05/10 about 17:00 after a long delay in the airprort.

Just a quick question regarding the red seal exam. Is there an exam for industrial as well as commercial or does one exam/certificate cover both environments?