Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

1887849 minutes Canniversary

1887849 minutes Canniversary

Old Mar 31st 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light
Default 1887849 minutes Canniversary

Thats 3 years 7 months 6 days, in sunny Calgary how I love it here. Not really seriously looking at BC, Calgary's okay but more of a staging post than a home.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1887849 minutes Canniversary

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Thats 3 years 7 months 6 days, in sunny Calgary how I love it here. Not really seriously looking at BC, Calgary's okay but more of a staging post than a home.
Any recommendations for a good spot in BC?????
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

Any recommendations for a good spot in BC?????
Okanagan
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, But not much work out that way unless I'm misinformed.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, But not much work out that way unless I'm misinformed.
Couldn't comment on that, other than I have several friends that work for BC Hydro, who a making serious $'s working away 4 days a week!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, maybe its worth a look. Waiting to take a call up north in the oil sands at the moment working away 14 days at a time but very good pay at $19k/month.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Ghost-Rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Move to the Crows-Nest-Pass if you wanna Be in BC But Not in BC .. (No PST and silly ICBC to worry about)

Or Head out to the Fernie area .. Pretty decent .. Plenty Of work for Decent Electricians (Good money as well) ... Better than Going up to Crack
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ghost-Rider
Move to the Crows-Nest-Pass if you wanna Be in BC But Not in BC .. (No PST and silly ICBC to worry about)

Or Head out to the Fernie area .. Pretty decent .. Plenty Of work for Decent Electricians (Good money as well) ... Better than Going up to Crack
Thanks Ghost rider

Will check it out.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ghost-Rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ghost rider

Will check it out.
Hey No problem.

Have you aquired the IP Red-Seal?

What Kind of Electrician are you? I assume you can work on Electric Mining equipment?
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Journeyman

Sorry to butt in but I would like to pick your brains for some info if I may.

Let me tell you a bit about myself first. I am 45 years old and also an electrician, and qualified to C&G 236 pt1 and 2, plus I also have other C&G as well for alarms, electronics, and refrigeration, and in addition I possess the UKAS comcats for gas safety. I know that C&G and UKAS aren't recognised internationally, so I am trying to find out about the red seal certificate that enables you to work in any state or province.

One of the many things I have wondered about is whether or not a Canadian employer would accept you as an electrician just by possessing the red seal certificate, and having experience in another country. Or would they employ you at a reduced wage for a while. Does possessing the red seal automatically make you a journeyman, is it similar to the JIB grading system? I do have some experience with working with the NEC once when I was in Ohio visiting friends so I am not too unfamiliar with the north American methods and terminology. I know the NEC isn't what they use in Canada they use the CEC, but in my findings the methods and the distribution system are similar if not the same, give or take the local code requirements.

I am hoping to visit my friends brother pretty soon who lives near Red Deer in Alberta, so I can do some more fact finding about work availability, pensions, healthcare and that kind of thing. And I will also look into purchasing the CEC whilst I'm there to study the code so I can sit the exam if I decide to apply for immigration. The biggest worry is the job front.

I read in you post that you were waiting to hear about the oil sands jobs in Alberta. I think I may have seen that job advertised on the Service Canada website, but it looked like an agency ad. I don't like it when I see agencies advertising for workers, the jobs don't usually exist and are usually a waste of time. Is there much demand for sparkies or is it still quiet? I visited Toronto last August and there was plenty of blocks being finished off, but nothing new being started, and not one job advertised for electricians in any of the papers.

Obviously I haven't applied for any jobs yet, due to legal reasons. But I have mailshot a couple of firms with my CV asking if they would consider my background for a potential job, one company give me a positive response and asked me to drop by for a quick meet and greet and some coffee and to discuss my experience but not to essentially to apply for a job. Also on the jobs I've seen advertised on the service Canada site, some of the jobs state own tools, equipment, and transport, isn't this like being self employed? I do have a lot of my own tools and equipment such as drills, saws and test equipment, from when I was self employed. But is it normal for an electrician to have their own plant and test equipment as well as hand tools?

Thankyou in advance for any advice you can give me.

Last edited by mojovibe; Apr 11th 2010 at 12:48 pm. Reason: .
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ghost-Rider
Hey No problem.

Have you aquired the IP Red-Seal?

What Kind of Electrician are you? I assume you can work on Electric Mining equipment?
Yes IP attained in 2006, hopefully Masters by the end of this year. Never worked in this sector (electro-mechanic) so probably not the best candidate for this sort of work.
More commercial, institutional & industrial from school's to ordnance factories employed as electrician to owner.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mojovibe
Hi Journeyman

Sorry to butt in but I would like to pick your brains for some info if I may.

Let me tell you a bit about myself first. I am 45 years old and also an electrician, and qualified to C&G 236 pt1 and 2, plus I also have other C&G as well for alarms, electronics, and refrigeration, and in addition I possess the UKAS comcats for gas safety. I know that C&G and UKAS aren't recognised internationally, so I am trying to find out about the red seal certificate that enables you to work in any state or province.

One of the many things I have wondered about is whether or not a Canadian employer would accept you as an electrician just by possessing the red seal certificate, and having experience in another country. Or would they employ you at a reduced wage for a while. Does possessing the red seal automatically make you a journeyman, is it similar to the JIB grading system? I do have some experience with working with the NEC once when I was in Ohio visiting friends so I am not too unfamiliar with the north American methods and terminology. I know the NEC isn't what they use in Canada they use the CEC, but in my findings the methods and the distribution system are similar if not the same, give or take the local code requirements.

I am hoping to visit my friends brother pretty soon who lives near Red Deer in Alberta, so I can do some more fact finding about work availability, pensions, healthcare and that kind of thing. And I will also look into purchasing the CEC whilst I'm there to study the code so I can sit the exam if I decide to apply for immigration. The biggest worry is the job front.

I read in you post that you were waiting to hear about the oil sands jobs in Alberta. I think I may have seen that job advertised on the Service Canada website, but it looked like an agency ad. I don't like it when I see agencies advertising for workers, the jobs don't usually exist and are usually a waste of time. Is there much demand for sparkies or is it still quiet? I visited Toronto last August and there was plenty of blocks being finished off, but nothing new being started, and not one job advertised for electricians in any of the papers.

Obviously I haven't applied for any jobs yet, due to legal reasons. But I have mailshot a couple of firms with my CV asking if they would consider my background for a potential job, one company give me a positive response and asked me to drop by for a quick meet and greet and some coffee and to discuss my experience but not to essentially to apply for a job. Also on the jobs I've seen advertised on the service Canada site, some of the jobs state own tools, equipment, and transport, isn't this like being self employed? I do have a lot of my own tools and equipment such as drills, saws and test equipment, from when I was self employed. But is it normal for an electrician to have their own plant and test equipment as well as hand tools?

Thankyou in advance for any advice you can give me.
Martyn
UK C&G in Alberta is accepted as equivalent to AIT Electrical TQ, provided you can prove the requisite hours post qualification and stump up the $450 Fee you will be allowed to challenge the IP exam (Red Seal) in the interim you will be given a temporary electrical licence (you must sit exam with-in 6 months of the assessment date). You have two attempts to pass (70%) once you are successful you will receive your certificate. You are now a licensed electrician and can work anywhere in Canada (apart from Quebec & far north somewhere).
The area goes through cycles of boom and bust, currently Calgary is in the bust phase and will return to boom in the not too distant future, whilst Calgary is quiet and salaries depressed the Oil Sands is in boom phase with shelved projects being restarted and planned work becoming live projects. This creates a demand, current estimates split the work up there 40% union 60% non-union hence agencies advertising for non-union (some agencies still employ the no real job tactics to get you on board and then taut you to potential suiters). I understand that the local union had 260+ journeyman calls go unanswered last month. Try and contact the union (ibew424.net) with regards to IP they are usually helpful and their employers still employ TWP's.
Unlike the UK, Canadian employers like to meet candidates (or at least speak) to sound them out especially if no Canadian experience is evident on the resume. Resume will need to be in a Canadian format i.e. Objective, Profile, Technical Skills & Professional Experience.
Tom
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

Martyn
UK C&G in Alberta is accepted as equivalent to AIT Electrical TQ, provided you can prove the requisite hours post qualification and stump up the $450 Fee you will be allowed to challenge the IP exam (Red Seal) in the interim you will be given a temporary electrical licence (you must sit exam with-in 6 months of the assessment date). You have two attempts to pass (70%) once you are successful you will receive your certificate. You are now a licensed electrician and can work anywhere in Canada (apart from Quebec & far north somewhere).
The area goes through cycles of boom and bust, currently Calgary is in the bust phase and will return to boom in the not too distant future, whilst Calgary is quiet and salaries depressed the Oil Sands is in boom phase with shelved projects being restarted and planned work becoming live projects. This creates a demand, current estimates split the work up there 40% union 60% non-union hence agencies advertising for non-union (some agencies still employ the no real job tactics to get you on board and then taut you to potential suiters). I understand that the local union had 260+ journeyman calls go unanswered last month. Try and contact the union (ibew424.net) with regards to IP they are usually helpful and their employers still employ TWP's.
Unlike the UK, Canadian employers like to meet candidates (or at least speak) to sound them out especially if no Canadian experience is evident on the resume. Resume will need to be in a Canadian format i.e. Objective, Profile, Technical Skills & Professional Experience.
Tom
Thanks for the reply, TWP? Temporary work permit?

What's AIT and TQ?

Is the red seal exam multi choice or written and is it an open book or closed book? And does it only last for 3 years until the next code version comes out?

One more thing, do you know where I could get a model resume' so I can interperet my cv to it?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

TWP? Temporary work permit?

What's AIT and TQ? Alberta... Apprentice & Industry Training

s the red seal exam multi choice or written and is it an open book or closed book? And does it only last for 3 years until the next code version comes out?

Multi-choice (100 Questions) Alberta for life, Ontario require renewal every 3 years for fee only

One more thing, do you know where I could get a model resume' so I can interperet my cv to it?

Online plenty of resume sites, otherwise send a copy to me for critique (when I get chance).
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:26 am
Account Closed

Hi

TWP? Temporary work permit?

What's AIT and TQ? Alberta... Apprentice & Industry Training

s the red seal exam multi choice or written and is it an open book or closed book? And does it only last for 3 years until the next code version comes out?

Multi-choice (100 Questions) Alberta for life, Ontario require renewal every 3 years for fee only

Online plenty of resume sites, otherwise send a copy to me for critique (when I get chance).
Hi Journeyman

I've just sent you my CV for you to look at. Don't worry though, I know that your busy and probably won't have time to do anything with it. So there's no rush. Oh and BTW is the IP open book?

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.