Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Zoom flight cancelled

Zoom flight cancelled

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 5:44 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zoom flight cancelled

Originally Posted by terese677
Hi
We had a telephone call from Zoom this morning cancelling our flight on 19th June as they had no slot available. We have booked everything, taxi to airport accomodation at airport and other end in Vancouver, this has me in a panic, trying to arrange other flights.
Any advice anyone ?
Terese
Check out this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531957

Karen
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:06 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kazbob
yes I agree with what was said I won't use economy again
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazbob
This is what put me off booking with Zoom ever... we've used Air Transat two summers in a row and are booked again this year and have had good experiences each time. They were very considerate of my elderly dad, provided a wheelchair and whisked us past the long queues for security because of him. Having read the small print I discovered they were transporting golf clubs, skis, bicycles etc. for FREE... so last year I shipped three bicycles along with the rest of our luggage at no extra cost.

One caveat though... by the time all the supplements, seat booking charges etc. are added on, the fares end up barely cheaper than BA. In the offpeak season (Oct-early Dec and Jan-Mar) I would always choose BA over any other carrier (recent difficulties with T5 notwithstanding).
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:34 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newshoney
This is what put me off booking with Zoom ever... we've used Air Transat two summers in a row and are booked again this year and have had good experiences each time. They were very considerate of my elderly dad, provided a wheelchair and whisked us past the long queues for security because of him. Having read the small print I discovered they were transporting golf clubs, skis, bicycles etc. for FREE... so last year I shipped three bicycles along with the rest of our luggage at no extra cost.

One caveat though... by the time all the supplements, seat booking charges etc. are added on, the fares end up barely cheaper than BA. In the offpeak season (Oct-early Dec and Jan-Mar) I would always choose BA over any other carrier (recent difficulties with T5 notwithstanding).
I have to admit it has really put us off flying with Zoom ever again. What really annoyed us was that they didn't even send us an email or phone us; if it wasn't for catching the thread on here we wouldn't have been any the wiser. Very, very poor customer service!!

Karen
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

We have just come back from a trip to Nova Scotia using Canadian Affair and flying with Air Transat. We were so very impressed with everything about them. They couldn't have been more accomodating especially as we were travelling with our son who, at two and half, is still getting used to flying. On board food and drinks were good as well as inflight entertainment, two complete movies were shown plus some short tv programmes. One of the best airlines I have flown with. I know there are bound to be people who have had bad experiences, I simply wanted to tell you of my good one.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:39 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

A thing worth remembering with these "low cost" airlines is that most of them are going to go bust quite soon. OK, you'll get your money back, if you paid by credit card, but then you'll have to buy a ticket with someone else, ie a scheduled carrier and probably much closer to the day of travel. Arm and leg.

I have no problem with low cost or charter airlines as such; I've used lots of them. I wouldn't book with any of them at the moment, though.

On my travels, I have noticed that the words "Jazz" and "Westjet" very often appear on airport departure boards in conjunction with "cancelled" and "delayed". I was recently researching a trip to the US. It would have involved several flights. The quickest and cheapest route included a leg with Westjet but the connection was only an hour, so I ruled it out.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Gazruss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
A thing worth remembering with these "low cost" airlines is that most of them are going to go bust quite soon. OK, you'll get your money back, if you paid by credit card, but then you'll have to buy a ticket with someone else, ie a scheduled carrier and probably much closer to the day of travel. Arm and leg.

I have no problem with low cost or charter airlines as such; I've used lots of them. I wouldn't book with any of them at the moment, though.

On my travels, I have noticed that the words "Jazz" and "Westjet" very often appear on airport departure boards in conjunction with "cancelled" and "delayed". I was recently researching a trip to the US. It would have involved several flights. The quickest and cheapest route included a leg with Westjet but the connection was only an hour, so I ruled it out.
Isn't Jazz part of Air Canada.... Can't see that going bust soon
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

bootlecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gazruss
Yep poster who mentioned WestJet and Jazz doesn't know what they are talking about.

WestJet are loaded - fastest growing North American airline with loads of assets and cash in the bank.

Jazz - well if jazz go broke we won't need to hace a british expats site anymore as no-one will be able to fly to Canada as to go broke it would have to bring down Air Canada and half of the Star Alliance for that to happen.

More likely the reason why you've seen a lot a delayed/cancelled flights is to do with something called SNOW and Ontario's inability to deal with it compared to the rest of Canada
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

bootlecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
there's no refund for days not used,I've booked 6 weeks with vacation rentals,
Zoom could have cost me a lot of money, the only thing I can't refund is the overnight sty with Best Western in Gatwick,
Terese
Did you book with a Credit Card, if so its covered. Did you have travel insurance, if so its covered.

If neither then zoom haven't cost you the money they specifically state that all bookings should only be made after you have adequate cover in case of cancellations.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Gazruss
Jazz isn't part of Air Canada. It's a contract carrier. In essence, it is fully integrated into Air Canada's domestic operations. The fund that owns it was, until recently, majority-owned by the same outfit that controls Air Canada. It no longer is.

That being said, it's unlikely that Jazz, or Air Canada for that matter, would be allowed to fail completely and shut up shop. Re-nationalisation is a possibility, in my view.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

Jazz isn't part of Air Canada. It's a contract carrier. In essence, it is fully integrated into Air Canada's domestic operations. The fund that owns it was, until recently, majority-owned by the same outfit that controls Air Canada. It no longer is.

That being said, it's unlikely that Jazz, or Air Canada for that matter, would be allowed to fail completely and shut up shop. Re-nationalisation is a possibility, in my view.
Got back from Halifax last Friday morning with Thomas Cook - brilliant trip both ways! Sat in rows 3 & 4 - loads of leg room, food was good - plenty of it, and the inflight entertainment was good too! Only downside was the selfish G*t in front of me who insisted on leaving his reading light on all night. Slept with my wooly pully over my head all night - Still Hubby always say I look better with a bag on my head!

Won't book with Zoom now after listening to all of the comments!

LiffyB
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your help
Zoom originally said there were no alternative flights on 19 which we wanted but would book us on Sun 22 , I looked for alternative flights all morning, Ba offered soke at premium economy which we booked , at £9000 ( which was far too expensive) and canadian affair had economy flights on the Thursday. Zoom said they would refund the money but it would take some time.
I phoned a travel agent who found a premium economy flight on 19 with................Zoom who are flying from Cardiff!
We rang Zoom and asked why they hadn't looked at this flight and were told that they only look at alternative dates not alternative airports!
We transferred our booking which is easier than trying to reclaim the money and paying for another flight, but needless to say after this flight I am taking very reluctantly, I WILL NEVER FLY ZOOM AGAIN.
Thank you agin for all your support and good luck to those flying with this airline on further dates,
Terese
I assume you paid Zoom by credit card...if so call the CC company and tell them what's happened. They will probably refund your account immediately.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by bootlecat
Yep poster who mentioned WestJet and Jazz doesn't know what they are talking about.

WestJet are loaded - fastest growing North American airline with loads of assets and cash in the bank.

Jazz - well if jazz go broke we won't need to hace a british expats site anymore as no-one will be able to fly to Canada as to go broke it would have to bring down Air Canada and half of the Star Alliance for that to happen.

More likely the reason why you've seen a lot a delayed/cancelled flights is to do with something called SNOW and Ontario's inability to deal with it compared to the rest of Canada
I didn't suggest that Jazz or Westjet were about to go bust, as is the case with about 50 European carriers, according to the boss of Easy Jet in the press yesterday. I suggested that the two carriers have a poor record regarding punctuality, snow or no snow.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I assume you paid Zoom by credit card...if so call the CC company and tell them what's happened. They will probably refund your account immediately.
damn that's bad luck! we're meant to be flying out with them to winnipeg on the 16th, hope ours isn't cancelled... We'd heard all the bad reports about Zoom but didn't had a choice - we couldn't afford anyone else (even Canadian Affair were dearer), plus we had a 2 for 1 voucher with Zoom.

Am going to call the airline now and check... fingers crossed eh.

Hope you get your refund,

Anita
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:34 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggested that the two carriers have a poor record regarding punctuality, snow or no snow.
You suggest wrong my friend.

Air Canada Jazz has an on time rating of 80%

Air Canada as an on time rating of 74%

Westjet has an on time rating of 73%

By comparison British Airways has an on time rating of 63%

All stats according to Flightstats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.