Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off?

Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off?

Old May 5th 2010, 8:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Just curious -what do they teach UK school children about colonial history?
That we gave peace, order, and good governance to the world.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:19 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Wow, how 19th century. You're kidding, right?
Old May 5th 2010, 8:19 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

That might have been true in the 70's. But that isn't what I was taught.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:22 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't know. But it's a reputation built over time and I am inclined to trust it. The news agencies are also very good when it comes to being unbiased.

The problem with the BBC is this:-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aHun58mz3vI

(gotta love Charlie Brooker)

But it's still far better than anything here (or anywhere else that I've been for that matter).
Yes, I remember my parents talking about the BBC in reverent tones. I'm not sure it lives up to that reputation anymore.

I don't know. I'm listening to the Beeb radio 4 right now (thought I'd give it a whirl for a change) and honestly, I don't see how it's any better than the ABC or the CBC. Perhaps I just don't get it. *shrug*
Old May 5th 2010, 8:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Not with you there, when one looks at the way the British enforced order and governance. Britain may have contributed more in 20th and 21st century then the 19th. In part the colonization of other lands and interference are to blame for the tribulations the world now finds itself in.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
Oh dear, i just enrolled my little one - i'll get the limo ordered now!!
Don't panic - not ALL dance schools and recitals are like this - although flowers ARE a must!!!

However I must say that my girls ARE much better off in Canada. At 12 and 14, both are heavily involved in their chosen activities to competitive level. Yes, it costs money but I would rather work to fund their activities than have the alternative, which is what their English friends are doing....NOTHING!

Plus, both my girls are now involved in teaching within their activities and this in itself, gives them responsibility. I for one, am proud that they have been encouraged by their coaches to succeed and are now able to share their knowledge as student teachers.

Would this have happened back in Manchester? I doubt it!

Life is a challenge wherever you live - I just feel that in Canada, children are encouraged to be part of teams/groups/clubs and it's ok to do this - even when they are teenagers! The choice to be part of a team (whatever it is) is here in Canada and sadly, it isn't as much back in England.

Our girls are 100% better off in Canada.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by bombards
Life is a challenge wherever you live - I just feel that in Canada, children are encouraged to be part of teams/groups/clubs and it's ok to do this - even when they are teenagers! The choice to be part of a team (whatever it is) is here in Canada and sadly, it isn't as much back in England.

Why is that do you think? Again, curious.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

We are actually better off now than we were in the UK.

I have been able to stay at home with the kids...
Old May 5th 2010, 8:49 pm

Yes, I remember my parents talking about the BBC in reverent tones. I'm not sure it lives up to that reputation anymore.

I don't know. I'm listening to the Beeb radio 4 right now (thought I'd give it a whirl for a change) and honestly, I don't see how it's any better than the ABC or the CBC. Perhaps I just don't get it. *shrug*
Though, there is something about certain British accents that makes the speaker sound smarter.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kaye5
...is there anyone in a similar position who feels their children are still better off in Canada?
Some really interesting comments on here. For me, a lot of people justify that the kids will be better off due to less crime, more time to be kids, better leisure opportunities etc. A lot of these perceived benefits are wholly dependent on what situation you are coming from. Location plays a bigger part in the UK than here. If your kids live on a crime ridden council estate in say Middlesbrough, than a move to virtually anywhere in Canada would be seen as a positive move for them. Can you say the same if they move from Surrey, UK to Surrey, BC. Would the kids be better off with a move from Maidenhead or Esher to Prince George? Norwich to Winnipeg?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Same apply in Canada. In fact, IMHO, Canada is way more nepotistic than the UK is. Ability counts less than knowing somebody.
Agreed. The class system is still there in the UK, but ability definitely counts for more there. Being a benficiary of the class system will give you a step up, but you can still do anything you want if you have the ability. Canada is definitely more nepotistic than the UK and there is more protectionism as well. People are just swopping the UK class system, for a different kind of favouritism.

Originally Posted by canadian_bacon_boy
Less widespread violence - Possibly, but that only due population density, I don't believe crime levels are much different between UK/Canada
Better higher education prospects - Sorry, just don't think Canadian institutions are better and they are more expensive
More open career path - No chance. Don't forget that UK citizen have the whole of Europe open for them as well
Cultural diversity - Weren't you complaining about UK levels of immigration as well??
A better view of the world- No chance, unless you count looking southwards all the time
More space - Can't disagree with that, but don't forget that most people still live in about half a dozen cities
A chance to buy a home Not in Vancouver - It is less affordable than 95% of places in the UK
Old May 5th 2010, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by brizzle

Agreed. The class system is still there in the UK, but ability definitely counts for more there. Being a benficiary of the class system will give you a step up, but you can still do anything you want if you have the ability. Canada is definitely more nepotistic than the UK and there is more protectionism as well. People are just swopping the UK class system, for a different kind of favouritism.

I don't see that at all nor have I found that getting back into the workforce...I have had some good opportunities here, even though I'm an immigrant and don't "know" anyone in my industry.

I know, I know, it's all perception...my perception is that Canada is more of a meritocracy.

This is excepting all jobs/professions that involve the union i.e. film & tv. But again, that's not nepotism...that's union BS.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't panic - not ALL dance schools and recitals are like this - although flowers ARE a must!!!

However I must say that my girls ARE much better off in Canada. At 12 and 14, both are heavily involved in their chosen activities to competitive level. Yes, it costs money but I would rather work to fund their activities than have the alternative, which is what their English friends are doing....NOTHING!

Plus, both my girls are now involved in teaching within their activities and this in itself, gives them responsibility. I for one, am proud that they have been encouraged by their coaches to succeed and are now able to share their knowledge as student teachers.

Would this have happened back in Manchester? I doubt it!

Surely these options are open to your children in the UK. My niece and nephews are all part of teams and one nephew now coaches as a way of paying back all has been afforded to him.

This is in Yorkshire, Hertfordshire, and London.

Maybe the parents of your childrens English friends friends are to blame?

I do believe there is one main advantage for families moving to Canada. This, to me, has to be the fact that the change seems to give people drive to succeed and integrate in their new adventure and with this comes the will to try new things, expand experiences, and go out of their way to do this.

Most things are on offer and available in both countries but those who have stagnated in the UK don't necessarily open themselves or their family to it.

All my opinion of course.

Last edited by el_richo; May 5th 2010 at 9:14 pm.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light

Why is that do you think? Again, curious.
What does England have to offer 12 and 14 year old girls - how many of my daughter's peers are busy 3/4 nights a week with activities. When we lived in England my girls were small and yes - I had them busy busy busy.... however, now they are busy from their own choice. Sadly their friends in England are just busy hanging out with friends!

They are more confident, independent and generally involved with their teams/dance groups as well as in mentoring both at school and in social activities. My feeling about Canada and this may just be the area we live in - is that the children are given more responsibility to help out and be part of the community. I don't live in a bubble - I see this everywhere I go in Ontario. My eldest came home from training last night and said she wanted to volunteer tonight, laying a new floor at the gym! The whole team would be there- so could she go......

I am proud to be part of a community that encourages its next generation to give a little back. ( I love the high school community hours scheme in Canada) I am more proud of what my girls have achieved in the 4 years we have lived here - As no matter how much I encouraged them, sadly in England, the peer pressure would have won over being involved with anything other than "hanging with the gang"

Last edited by bombards; May 5th 2010 at 9:20 pm.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:20 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

As no matter how much I encouraged them, sadly in England, the peer pressure would have won over being involved with anything other than "hanging with the gang"
Maybe it wouldn't. You will never know so actually cannot say that Canada offered more for them.

Also, had you moved within England, the opportunities afforded to your kids in Canada could easily have been replicated, of which my experience shows is possible.

That said, it's great that you and your family are having a blast and that's all that matters i guess.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off

[QUOTE=el_richo;8545293]Maybe it wouldn't. You will never know so actually cannot say that Canada offered more for them.
Also, had you moved within England, the opportunities afforded to your kids in Canada could easily have been replicated, of which my experience shows is possible.

That said, it's great that you and your family are having a blast and that's all that matters i guess.[/QUOTE

Yes we are having a blast and actually I can say that yes Canada has offered them more (there is no way my daughter would be at the sports level she is back in England - the /training/commitment/funding is just not there) - all my daughter's friends in England are in constant contact and wish they had the opportunities my daughters have (from both Southern and Northern England)- btw we came from a very middle class area so money and parenting has nothing to do with this but fitting in with the crowd seems to be more important in England, IMO.

Last edited by bombards; May 5th 2010 at 9:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.