Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off?

Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off?

Old May 6th 2010, 9:04 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off

Originally Posted by kate 17
I just don't understand why those girls would be giving their blue jeans away!
mhm ok?????

yeah maybe it is a good thing for the boys. I guess times have changed cos I never did this at school lol

I just wanted to tell people that kids are the same everywhere in the world, and they are not just little s***'s in England!
I think kids everywhere are growing up too fast, but that's just the way things are!
Old May 6th 2010, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off

People were always after my blue jeans at school....I had to show them I had very sharp teeth in the zipper to keep them off.
Old May 6th 2010, 9:21 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

People were always after my blue jeans at school....I had to show them I had very sharp teeth in the zipper to keep them off.
Old May 6th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

you are witty............
Old May 6th 2010, 9:24 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by lmartin999
This is probably the post to help any parent having trouble persuading their teenage son to move with them to Canada. Compared to my school in England this is something that even I would agree is clearly better about Canada!
Think it's funny how you picked this out to comment on. Wonder if people will find it so funny when it's their daughter who gets caught 'on the job'?
Old May 7th 2010, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
As with all of these "Is Canada _________..?.." type threads it is almost solely contingent on where you live in the U.K. plus where you plan on moving to in Canada.

Indeed it is. We have similar problems where we live to where you did live, so our situations I think may be a reasonable comparison.

Having said that, I also think it useful to hear from others who were in a very much better off situation in the UK - but still went to Canada.

Interesting also to hear from Lorry1 re. kids being the same the world over. I agree with this to a certain extent. Kids are heavily influenced by what their peers are doing (so if their friends are giving BJs in the woods, they probably will also)! Hopefully it works the other way also - eg if their friends are standing back for adults to pass and holding doors open for them, my kids will follow that example.

Where we are at present, kids have the "can't touch me" attitude. I won't go into our own situation here, but I have seen this used against us and other adults to a frightening extent. We can't even walk out of our own house without fear of being abused verbally, obstructed or pushed around physically. Our property is constantly damaged - cars keyed, mirrors snapped off, fences deliberately broken down etc. Not just us - our neighbours have the same problems, so it's not personal. The police can do nothing as they never catch them in the act, and so it carries on. And we don't live in one of the worst areas of London by any means. This was the same where we lived in Scotland (and that was considered a reasonable area too). Lorry - we DID try somewhere else in the UK, and the problems were the same, so don't beat yourself up about not having moved within the UK, you may or may not have achieved anything different by doing this.

The reason people ask for experiences is so that we can see things from all points of view - it's great to hear success stories, but we also need to hear the other side too. We are trying to avoid the rose tinted spectacles situation. It's important to have realistic expectations.

(Joe - thanks, I have PM'd you)
Old May 7th 2010, 11:51 am
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Indeed it is. We have similar problems where we live to where you did live, so our situations I think may be a reasonable comparison.

Having said that, I also think it useful to hear from others who were in a very much better off situation in the UK - but still went to Canada.

Interesting also to hear from Lorry1 re. kids being the same the world over. I agree with this to a certain extent. Kids are heavily influenced by what their peers are doing (so if their friends are giving BJs in the woods, they probably will also)! Hopefully it works the other way also - eg if their friends are standing back for adults to pass and holding doors open for them, my kids will follow that example.

Where we are at present, kids have the "can't touch me" attitude. I won't go into our own situation here, but I have seen this used against us and other adults to a frightening extent. We can't even walk out of our own house without fear of being abused verbally, obstructed or pushed around physically. Our property is constantly damaged - cars keyed, mirrors snapped off, fences deliberately broken down etc. Not just us - our neighbours have the same problems, so it's not personal. The police can do nothing as they never catch them in the act, and so it carries on. And we don't live in one of the worst areas of London by any means. This was the same where we lived in Scotland (and that was considered a reasonable area too). Lorry - we DID try somewhere else in the UK, and the problems were the same, so don't beat yourself up about not having moved within the UK, you may or may not have achieved anything different by doing this.

The reason people ask for experiences is so that we can see things from all points of view - it's great to hear success stories, but we also need to hear the other side too. We are trying to avoid the rose tinted spectacles situation. It's important to have realistic expectations.

(Joe - thanks, I have PM'd you)
Hi Kaye5,

We never really experienced these problems where we were during the last few years in England. We lived in a small pocket, a good town, in the middle of large awful towns where those problems did occur.

Previous to this, we did live in an area like that, where we experienced problems with vandalism and abuse, and a break in to our flat, but this was from our (adult) neighbour, not from kids. The police never did anything about it!

I do agree though that the kids do know you can't touch them, or even speak to them cos they just threaten you with social services. Back when kids were caned and smacked and you could deal with them, that was bad too cos many adults abused this, but the pendulum has swung the total opposite way and we must get it to the middle somehow.

Our last year in England was fantastic. We made a real efford to hold more social gatherings and we really enjoyed where we rented our last house. We even said that if we don't get PR, we would be happy to stay here!

Then we got PR, and everything happened so quick that before we knew it, we were on the plane to NS.

We said that if we didn't like it, we would either move onto ON or come back, but it's not that easy with 2 kids, keep moving their schools and friends.

We moved so many times in England, all within a 10 mile proximity, but a change of school each time. By the time my youngest was 5, she had lived in 4 houses and attended 3 nurseries!
We sold our home when we first applied for PR not realising it would sell so quick or the PR would take so long. We then lived in 2 rentals in 2 years.

My eldest has said that she never wants to move again cos she was so unsettled. We have lived in this house for 2 nearly 3 years, that is the longest we have ever stayed in 1 house!

This is why we can't move now

Last edited by Lorry1; May 7th 2010 at 11:56 am.
Old May 7th 2010, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Lorry1, I'm going to PM you...
Old May 8th 2010, 1:17 pm
The Brit is back

I am hoping this is just a phase I'm going through (albeit a long one!) and I will settle down again soon.

I think the problem is that I am bored. This is a beautiful Province and I live in a very nice area, and love being close to the ocean, but there is not much here.

I think ON has alot more to offer and more places to take the kids for days out.

I am such a serial mover that I find it hard to settle in one place. I love the excitement of moving, unpacking and putting everything in its place.

I do remember all the reasons we left England am I am sure they are all still there. I just crave the familiararity, the sence of humour, the friends that I've had for years, the great food choice.....
It will be interesting to see who wins the election and how they are going to change things, if at all!!!!
Old May 8th 2010, 6:15 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I am hoping this is just a phase I'm going through (albeit a long one!) and I will settle down again soon.

I think the problem is that I am bored. This is a beautiful Province and I live in a very nice area, and love being close to the ocean, but there is not much here.

I think ON has alot more to offer and more places to take the kids for days out.

I am such a serial mover that I find it hard to settle in one place. I love the excitement of moving, unpacking and putting everything in its place.

I do remember all the reasons we left England am I am sure they are all still there. I just crave the familiararity, the sence of humour, the friends that I've had for years, the great food choice.....
It will be interesting to see who wins the election and how they are going to change things, if at all!!!!
Oh, also miss the close proximity to Europe and all the wonderful holidays we use to have there at a reasonable price!

Don't fool yourself into thinking 'it's just a plane trip from here, we can get back in a few hours and we'll visit every year' cos if you're earning less money, it's not that easy with a family of 4!

We said we would visit every year but so far we have each gone back separatly for different reasons. Hubby has been for work and he took youngest to see his dad when diagnosed with cancer. Eldest has been last 2 summers to see her dad and I have been once in August 08.
We may all get accross next spring as my brother's getting married in Italy yay