Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off?

Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off?

Old May 5th 2010, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off

Originally Posted by Kaye5
I mean that for those who are worse off financially do they feel they their kids are still better off as in better quality of life (DESPITE having less money)... so your comment re things you pay for for kids being significantly cheaper is very relevant, as is the one about happy parents = happy kids.

There seems to be a difference of opinion regarding materialistic attitudes of kids in UK/Canada. Here in London it is very materialistic, and that affects my kids in that they can't always have the latest or "best" of everything. My eldest gets bullied at school for having the wrong trainers, old games console, etc.

So, I'm looking at quality of life now, as children. While their futures will undoubtedly be affected by where they are brought up, they will be able to make their own decisions at age 18 whether to return to the UK or to stay in Canada (or move somewhere else).
Kaye5

We lived over 8 years in Canada before returning back to the UK as we realised we had and would have a better "quality of life " in the UK.
Why do we now have a better quality of life? I do not work 60+ hours a week as I did in Canada, earn 40% more, have 7 weeks of holiday instead of 3 weeks, sons have a excellent schooling. Quality of life to us is not living 2000 sqft + house, owning a gas guzzler truck, 4x4, snowmobile, boat etc.

Found kids and Big kids(adults) were much more materialistic than we experienced living in the UK. My two teenage sons go to the grammar school are have never been bullied at school for wearing £4 TESCO jeans or £20 trainers. I think it up to you to pick a decent school to send your children too.

We made a choice to moved first back to Oxford and then Kent as were very selective were we wanted to educated and bring up our sons. You do not have to move 3000 miles to live in a nice comfortable area as there plenty of choice in the UK.

My 16 year old son said that he would not stay in Canada if we had not moved back to the UK. There are a number of my ex pat collegues who kids went to Uni in Canada and moved back to the UK for better job/careers.

To move for less money does not make you any happier, it actually made our life harder as we suddenly had to worry about costs and how we were going to pay all the bills. If you not happy with London move out. Plenty of nice towns and villages in many counties in the UK. Oxford is a beautiful, quite county to live in and still commutable to London if you want the city.

I remember talking to a senior government official in Ottawa(Englishman) and I was surprised that he told me Canada did have a class system especially in government. His view Canada has its Upper classes, but did not have a "polished" accents as those in the UK.

Having moved from the UK as a senior professional and ending up on a junior salary (less than half pay) I would not recommend that to anyone as it makes you move to Canada not worth it. If the OP is happy with his UK life, but a bit bored why does he not buy a holiday home in Canada and have long holidays there.

Hudd

Last edited by huddm; May 5th 2010 at 9:41 pm.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off

Originally Posted by britsnake
They have nearly 3 months summer holidays.

In England one of my sons was a good soccer player but not one of the best. In Canada his skills are seen as legendary.

In England my other son was a good singer, here, he could be the next Canadian Idol.

I spoke to one of my children recently, and he told me that in th UK he was always a bit afraid. Afraid that he might look at someone the wrong way and maybe get killed for it. Now they do not fear. They play in the streets. They go for sleepovers at their friends houses and have a much more active and happy lifestyle.
So Canada is better for your kids, because they have an innordinate amount of time off school and the standard of soccer and singing here is appalling He might be seen as a good soccer player here, but he'll have way less opportunities to make it as a professional.

I understand what you saying about the last bit, but again I think a lot of this is down to location within the countries. Moving from London to Dorset would have the same effect as moving from inner city Toronto to rural ontario.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:48 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

But isn't all of this due to individual circumstances? Luck, talent, hard work too.

I earn a lot more in Canada, work less and get 23 days vacation a year. Life's pretty sweet. But that may not be someone else's experience.

Not sure I'd move here to be a lot worse off though. Canada is pretty easy living, but I wouldn't see it as amazing enough to live on the poverty line.

Each to their own though.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by huddm
Kaye5

We lived over 8 years in Canada before returning back to the UK as we realised we had and would have a better "quality of life " in the UK.
Why do we now have a better quality of life? I do not work 60+ hours a week as I did in Canada, earn 40% more, have 7 weeks of holiday instead of 3 weeks, sons have a excellent schooling. Quality of life to us is not living 2000 sqft + house, owning a gas guzzler truck, 4x4, snowmobile, boat etc.

Found kids and Big kids(adults) were much more materialistic than we experienced living in the UK. My two teenage sons go to the grammar school are have never been bullied at school for wearing £4 TESCO jeans or £20 trainers. I think it up to you to pick a decent school to send your children too.

We made a choice to moved first back to Oxford and then Kent as were very selective were we wanted to educated and bring up our sons. You do not have to move 3000 miles to live in a nice comfortable area as there plenty of choice in the UK.

My 16 year old son said that he would not stay in Canada if we had not moved back to the UK. There are a number of my ex pat collegues who kids went to Uni in Canada and moved back to the UK for better job/careers.

To move for less money does not make you any happier, it actually made our life harder as we suddenly had to worry about costs and how we were going to pay all the bills. If you not happy with London move out. Plenty of nice towns and villages in many counties in the UK. Oxford is a beautiful, quite county to live in and still commutable to London if you want the city.

I remember talking to a senior government official in Ottawa(Englishman) and I was surprised that he told me Canada did have a class system especially in government. His view Canada has its Upper classes, but did not have a "polished" accents as those in the UK.

Having moved from the UK as a senior professional and ending up on a junior salary (less than half pay) I would not recommend that to anyone as it makes you move to Canada not worth it. If the OP is happy with his UK life, but a bit bored why does he not buy a holiday home in Canada and have long holidays there.

Hudd
You have made me feel very guilty for bringing up my kids in Canada!

The bottom line with any endeavor is contentment and happiness. My Kids are both very happy now. but could they have been happier in the UK? Could I have afforded the university fees? Here we managed to pay for them both so they have no debt.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:56 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate 17

The bottom line with any endeavor is contentment and happiness. My Kids are both very happy now. but could they have been happier in the UK? Could I have afforded the university fees? Here we managed to pay for them both so they have no debt.
Had you not had the financial stability, would you have moved back sooner?
Old May 5th 2010, 10:06 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Wow, how 19th century. You're kidding, right?
Only a very little.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That might have been true in the 70's. But that isn't what I was taught.
I took history up to O level so my last lesson was in 1974. There was plenty about how the Spanish, Portuguese, and especially those darned French screwed up the colonies but apart from a short paragraph about the black hole of Calcutta it was all Britannia to the rescue of the darkies.
Old May 5th 2010, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

kate 17

Sounds like you managed to give you children a comfortable life in Canada and I believe that's an important part of being a parent. My wife and I strongly believe if you are both happy with your life then your kids will be happy too.

I believe that my sons have benefited in living both in Canada and the UK. Its made there more adaptable and open minded to the wider world.

I have Uni in 18 months time for my eldest son who is looking to go to Cambridge or one of the other top universities. I will make sure that he and his brother will not leave uni in debt/ Looks like no holidays or new cars(hopefully I get another company car in my next job move) for us for a good few years then.

Hudd
Old May 6th 2010, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by el_richo
Had you not had the financial stability, would you have moved back sooner?
Definitely, somehow I would have tried to find a good school for our daughter.
Having plenty of money is a big motivater when you have kids. It's nice to give them more than what they need.
Old May 6th 2010, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

kate 17

Sounds like you managed to give you children a comfortable life in Canada and I believe that's an important part of being a parent. My wife and I strongly believe if you are both happy with your life then your kids will be happy too.

I believe that my sons have benefited in living both in Canada and the UK. Its made there more adaptable and open minded to the wider world.

I have Uni in 18 months time for my eldest son who is looking to go to Cambridge or one of the other top universities. I will make sure that he and his brother will not leave uni in debt/ Looks like no holidays or new cars(hopefully I get another company car in my next job move) for us for a good few years then.

Hudd
Yes it's quite hard,but sacrifice is what it's all about....Good job with the boys. I like hearing good parenting stories. It makes up for all the bad stuff that you hear.
Old May 6th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Kaye5

My two teenage sons go to the grammar school are have never been bullied at school for wearing £4 TESCO jeans or £20 trainers. I think it up to you to pick a decent school to send your children too.

Hudd
I rarely get mad at posts on here, but.... I can't believe you think that it is "up to us" to pick a decent school to send our kids to. You live in England, so you must know the system is based on where you live. For those of us who cannot afford to live in the "right" area, we get what school we are given. There is no real choice.

Your boys go to grammar school and are destined for Cambridge. Well good for you. Ours aren't of that calibre academically - there are plenty of selective schools in our area, but they would never get through the tests. Maybe my daughter would, but my boys, no. My eldest actually goes to what is considered the BEST non-selective school in our area. To suggest that bullying doesn't go on in "good" schools is ridiculous.

You sound like you have a very affluent life - we aren't all that fortunate. However, neither are we, as some seem to think, moving ourselves into poverty. But we are not improving our financial situation initially, but in the long term we will likely achieve a similar level of financial stability as we have in the UK. This would be the same situation as if we moved from London to elsewhere within the UK (the lower salaries would be offset by the lower propery prices). We have always lived within our means and don't believe the way to a child's happiness is to spoil them by giving them everything they demand.

We have actually lived in Scotland, London and northern England so have experienced different places in the UK. Perhaps those who think that we are dissatisfied with the area we live in and this can be solved by moving within the UK, may want to step back and think that we may actually want to move to Canada because we like Canada.
Old May 6th 2010, 8:47 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely, somehow I would have tried to find a good school for our daughter.
Having plenty of money is a big motivater when you have kids. It's nice to give them more than what they need.
Surely culture comes before money?
Old May 6th 2010, 11:20 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I took history up to O level so my last lesson was in 1974. There was plenty about how the Spanish, Portuguese, and especially those darned French screwed up the colonies but apart from a short paragraph about the black hole of Calcutta it was all Britannia to the rescue of the darkies.
You fared better than me. At my high school (also mid-70s) you had to choose between history and geography at the end of year 3. I chose geography, so my education in history stopped at the Middle Ages.
Old May 6th 2010, 12:45 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...
Old May 6th 2010, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bombards
Don't panic - not ALL dance schools and recitals are like this - although flowers ARE a must!!!

However I must say that my girls ARE much better off in Canada. At 12 and 14, both are heavily involved in their chosen activities to competitive level. Yes, it costs money but I would rather work to fund their activities than have the alternative, which is what their English friends are doing....NOTHING!

Plus, both my girls are now involved in teaching within their activities and this in itself, gives them responsibility. I for one, am proud that they have been encouraged by their coaches to succeed and are now able to share their knowledge as student teachers.

Would this have happened back in Manchester? I doubt it!

Life is a challenge wherever you live - I just feel that in Canada, children are encouraged to be part of teams/groups/clubs and it's ok to do this - even when they are teenagers! The choice to be part of a team (whatever it is) is here in Canada and sadly, it isn't as much back in England.

Our girls are 100% better off in Canada.
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr excuse me but........................... rubbish....................... I have two boys aged 15 and 6 and two girls aged 9 and 8 and I tell you........... my boys are doing clubs for rochdale footie (eldest) and karate and footie (aged 6) and a national cheerleader and swimmer (aged 7) and a national gymnast and volley baller (aged nearly 9)...................don't ever say it aint out there in this country........................Mel. AND I LIVE IN FLAMING ROCHDALE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>XXXXXXXXXXXX
Old May 6th 2010, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5

To suggest that bullying doesn't go on in "good" schools is ridiculous.
I have to agree - one of the schools I went to was a fairly exclusive private school, and was bullied horribly... Yet the normal "comp" that I went to was wonderful...

From my experiance, I would say that bullying is probalby worse in the schools that the more affluent parents send their kids to. The kids there have plenty of money to buy fancy schmancy stuff, so the odd kid who's parents are not so well off sticks out like a sore thumb.

Originally Posted by el_richo
Surely culture comes before money?
Well money can't buy class...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.