Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wrong time to emigrate?

Wrong time to emigrate?

Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

manchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wrong time to emigrate?

Thanks for that !!
We are going to give it a go, if we dont do it now, we never will!!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 6:20 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Originally Posted by manchesterchick
Thanks for that !!
Have to say that is our viewpoint too! I am more concerned about it being the right/wrong time for the kids - who knows what the world economy is going to do and for how long so for us it is a case of grabbing our opportunities as they come along and if they don't work out so we come home but at least we would have given it a go!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 6:38 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that !!
That's what i'd do. It's not a good time for sure - but it will be worse next year, and worse the year after that. Things are so bad in the worlds economies right now that I see more protectionism coming. There is a possibility that this will include tighter border controls and restrictions on work permits / visas for foreign nationals all over the west - including Canada.

Last edited by Alan2005; Feb 20th 2009 at 6:39 pm. Reason: dodgy grammar
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jonnieandmartina
I've been watching this for a few days, we have the same sentiments - I haven't worked since sept 08, the last sort of offer was work for 3 mths on basic wage before any final decission is made on employment, my place is going rental from the 28th, we fly the 29th..we waited 41 months, 6 days for our PR, we can't wait, its an adventure that my children will in later life say thank you dad..
Us too OH made redundant in November and there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon here, he has secured an interview out in Canada next week - so here goes we have nothing to lose!

We too think that even if it goes pear shape we will all have had a fantastic adventure to look back on!

Michelle
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that !!
Nursing is just about as secure a job as it is possible to get in Canada so you are in a much better position than many.

I would suggest to anyone coming to Canada on a TWP to think carefully. If they are laid off (and last in - first out is a common way to decide on lay offs) life can be difficult. However, with PR you can look for any job you want. A I said, as a qualified nurse it is more of a case of where do you want to work, than can you find a job.

I arrived in BC in 1999. At that time BC was in an economic slump. A recruitment consultant told me to expect to take 6 months to find a decent job, but to bring enough cash to last a year. It took me a week. Being positive is very important. Sometimes you just make your own luck

I did have to retake some of my professional qualifications, but that can be refreshing for someone in middle age. I have not experienced any discrimination against me for being British and I have worked extensively with both Canadian-Canadians as well as new immigrants. There are two reasons that I can think of:

1 I make the effort to understand the culture of a workplace, and why things happen like they do. I am the new boy and it is my place to fit in. I don't assume I know best (even if I do ). You will read some people here who complain about everything Canadian and go on, and on, about how backward Canada is - especially in the workplace. Then they complian that their co-workers don't accept them as equals. Erm ...

2 My career has been with smaller entrepreneurial businesses where a dollar is a dollar and ability is prized much more than an accent or long service. In some jobs, so I hear, especially those in public services that have strong unions, things are different. Structures are much more hierarchical and seniority is very important. Incompetent people with a lot of seniority can make life difficult for newcomers that have an "I know best" attitude. So, if you do end up in a situation like that then you are in the fortunate position of have a scarce skill

Last edited by JonboyE; Feb 20th 2009 at 8:13 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

dinoffc is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Wrong time to emigrate?

This is very interesting and we are in the same position as many of you particularly manchester chick. We got our PR in April 2008 and landed in october - had tried in vain to sell or even rent the house but no luck so have decided to stay put for two years and see what happens. Would love to get out sooner though as we too have been waiting since september 2005 (and many years before that before we'd even applied). Plan is to arrange career break, save as much as we can in the next two years, rent the house and then just give it a go. We have three young children who can't wait, and neither can we. Even if it all goes pear shaped at least we would have given it a go. So many people over here have never wanted us to go anyway and are smirking now that they think that we can't go. We know (and have always known) it's not gonna be a bed of roses, but we have to try!!! If you only do what you've always done, you'll only get what you've always got. We don't even know where we're gonna head yet, don't know what we'll do when we get there and really don't even care. We'll do whatever it takes as long as we have a roof over our head and food to eat we will make it work! If it doesn't work , we won't live our lives saying "if only..."

Really take stock on what you want in life. You only live once. Go for it. PMA!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:43 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Today is the first time I've felt the recession is personal, for Neil and I.

The Recession is starting to happen and I don't think its going to be pretty.

My work have asked me to have the week off because they can't provide the hours, I work for a major Canadian Store and all over our company there are cut backs and lay offs at the moment.

Neil is struggling to see the 15 years worth of work he was promissed at his job when we got out here.

To be honest I am wondering if we are tip toeing our way back to go to Blighty and I don't want to go.

Right now I am very upset, I know nothing major with Neils work has happened but I'm just wondering if its a matter of time. He's a Structural Engineer by the way, a profession that was very much needed here in Alberta.

All we can do now is live the dream while it lasts and maybe keep our fingers crossed.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

I have been left to feel victimised by fate.

When i look at the exchange rates and stuff of when we first applied for PR status back in 2005 and compare it to today..... i feel like someone is pulling a cruel prank on me.

but some wisdom came to me..... there is never the perfect time to do anything!

i can lament the lack of $2.50 for every £ ..... but i might as well feel gutted that i am not caught up in gold rush prospecting for all the good it does me!

recessions are cyclic and indeed today, all encompassing. things might be downturning in canada, but the spiral is MUCH more pronounced over in the UK.

you have to have courage in your convictions, determine your own future through positive and decisive action, rather than sitting back and hoping that fate and the wheels of politics and economics suddenly turn in your favour.

it is ultimately up to you, but you have to realise my 2 favourite cliches:

you only regret those thigs you never did

there is no such thing as a bad experience, except for the one that kills you.

be lucky!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:16 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
..... there is never the perfect time to do anything!

you only regret those thigs you never did

there is no such thing as a bad experience, except for the one that kills you.

be lucky!
Absolutely agree with you on this!

I remember during the last recession we were just getting married and planning babies and remember my inlaws calling me rotten for planning to get a mortgage and have the "added expense" (yes they used those words) of having babies whilst the economy was so bad!!

There is never a "right time" so to speak, I have no doubts it will be hard financially, but then it is hard here financially too.

My parents never got out there, there was always something holding them back (sick parents, recessions, not being able to sell the house) and I don't want to live a life of regrets as I know they do.

I'd rather give it a go and if it doesn't work out and we end up coming back here, then I can hold my head high because at least I tried.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

andy101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weebie
Are you aware that London is probably the worst city on the planet in looking for work atm?
Originally Posted by audreyrose23
Speaking from my own experience I would stay put in the UK for now and wait for things to improve. I moved out to Ontario in July last year and haven't been able to find work. UK degree credentials are not recognised here and your UK work experience is also completely overlooked. What is significant in gaining a job is 'Canadian Experience'. You may have to work for free for sometime in a Canadian work place to get the first rung on the ladder and the first rung will often be significantly lower down than in the UK. ie. menial, or if you're not bothered then you can start as any sort of menial and work up (slowly and taking many years). If you can arrange a job before you come out then that is better, but know that job security here is very insecure and people get laid off regularly. The Canadian employment system is completely different from the UK system, ie. not based on meritocracy. If you think networking/nepotism is bad in the UK with the upper middle class then you want to try the 'we hire our family and friends approach' in Canada (if you know some Brit expats you might be OK). You will need to change your CV to a 'resume' and re-think your approach to cover letters etc to fit with the Canadian style. I have sent of hundreds of resumes and have not had a single call back. You will be called back if you apply to very low paid and highly insecure jobs. Also you will often find you are over qualified and that will also stand against you. It is catch-22. It is NOTHING like the UK or the USA here, Canada has its own systems (systems which may surprise you)

Other things to consider. Do NOT sell your UK home and buy in Canada straight out. Many Brits in Canada are stuck here at the mo. Because they can't sell their house here. Think of everything as temporary ie. rent here and rent out your UK home if you must come (and in hindsight I would say, put your stuff in storage in UK and don't ship it all out)

Exchange rate is absolutely terrible, it hasn't been at the standard $2 to £1 since October last year. This really bites into your UK funds.

For me and my husband, we have had enough and are returning in September. Everyones situation is different, but we are returning for economic reasons because unless you are super rich and don't really need to work (ie. a retiree) coming to Canada right now is madness if you actually enjoy and have a good life in UK. Our lifestyle has significantly deteriorated since we have been here (we are mid 30's and lived and worked in London for last 10 years). We are now living off one salary and hardly spending on anything to get us through till September. It has been a very expensive enterprise. I wouldn't say totally wasted as we have both learnt a tremendous amount about life and especially how to cope with extreme stress (without any family, friends support). You may be at a stage in your life when you really want a challenge, well then, come to Canada as it is a supreme test to become established here. For those on here who have made it work I salute you because I know what you have gone through to get there!!!

Hope this is helpful and not too negative. it isn't impossible to start a new life here, but entirely the wrong time to travel/emmigrate at the mo.!!! (unless as I say you just one the lottery and haven't a care!)
my name is Andy as you can see I came back to Ontario in July last year, been here before ten years ago when times were better and jobs were good. but this time only a few scrappy jobs to be had, my OH is Canadian and is still in the same boat as me as he speaks with an accent now and is treated as an immigrant. All we can do is keep trying as you should do, but don't give in to these rude, arrogant Canadians cause their not too sure who they are, and they are frighted of us Brits and we are more polite and educated than they are!
:curse:
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:13 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Vancouver gets a bad rap for the rain. Rain is seasonal and we generally get the majority of the wet stuff between nov and april. Its really not as bad as its made out to be and summer more than makes up for it. Plus rain in the city is snow on the slopes.
It does get a bad rap and half the time i think its reaction to Vancouverites, especially the media, giving the opinion its utopia. I touch of envy perhaps. But you do get used to the rain after a while. Especially after the summer. Like you say, once the clouds move off its glorious looking up at the white mountains. I used to love the smell of sweet pine that envelopes the city in early April. Always brought a smile to my face when it would suddenly appear.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

There have been some good points on this thread for Manchesterchick. I have moved over three months' ago on a skilled worker visa with an occupational pension which allows me to surviive over here.

I took a mortgage out on my UK property which I was unable to sell, in order to buy outright here and I have rented out my UK house which covers the mortgage.

I am looking for part-time work to top up my pension and have found that after 30 years of getting work easily in the UK, it is a different story here. I am happy to take low paid part-time office work and I am well qualified, but I can already see that it isn't going to be easy.

When I made the decision to move last Summer, it was on the basis that the housing market in the UK would pick up by 2011 and I would hopefully be able to sell my house then. Now I am thinking it may be longer than that.

In the short term, this is affecting my standard of living because most of my capital is tied up in property without generating any income. I have to budget carefully.

However, I do have what I call my 'emergency fund' which is sufficient to fund a return to the UK if things don't work out longer term and in retrospect, I think retaining my UK property at least facilitates a return.

I tried to cover all the 'what ifs' in my planning which gave me some security in daring to move.

At the moment, I am not yet settled but I think once I can gain paid employment, this will help. I love where I am living, don't mind the cold winters and I don't miss England per se, but I do miss my network of friends at the moment.

If I do return to England in the future, it won't be with a sense of failure, but with a sense of having being adventurous enough to get out and try something different.

You will probably have plenty of people who will say to you 'what if you don't like it?' Is that a reason for not trying out new experiences and making changes? I don't think so!

Good luck
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

JTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura about

I have a friend going to Alberta on a reccie next month. Her husband is a builder and will be trying to get a job offer while on the reccie, and then take the family (3 kids) over on his TWP.

They intend to keep their house in the UK and rent it out, and won't be taking any money to Canada with them. They intend on renting a furnished place in Alberta and don't want to ship anything over. Therefore they believe they need no money.

They are very adventurous, and have the attitude of 'stuff it, we only live once.' So on the subject of 'yeah, but what if...' they don't particularly care and think you could go on forever with 'what ifs' and end up staying in the UK.

While I admire their adventurous spirit, I'm far too scared to go on a TWP without any kind of emergency fund.

Last edited by JTM73; Feb 25th 2009 at 4:12 pm. Reason: Pressed enter without finishing post.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JTM73
I have a friend going to Alberta on a reccie next month. Her husband is a builder and will be trying to get a job offer while on the reccie, and then take the family (3 kids) over on his TWP.

They intend to keep their house in the UK and rent it out, and won't be taking any savings to Canada with them. They intend on renting a furnished house in Alberta and don't want to ship anything over.

They are very adventurous, and have the attitude of 'stuff it, we only live once.' So on the subject of 'yeah, but what if...' they don't particularly care and think you could go on forever with 'what ifs' and end up staying in the UK.
According to the tv news lots of builders are moving from Alberta to manitoba to get work, they might want to widen their search!