Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wrong time to emigrate?

Wrong time to emigrate?

Old Feb 19th 2009, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

JTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wrong time to emigrate?

Thanks everyone. We would, of course, have gone over on a couple of reccies before making any kind of firm decision. We were all for it last year, but hadn't gone as far as job hunting or putting in a PR application. We've done research from the UK and our next step was to make our first trip this year.

I've read some news reports about the amount of job losses in Canada - obviously that's to be expected and it's not unique to Canada. (Thanks for the names of Canadian media, Kiwilass, I'll start reading these.) Also that Canada are in a recession, like we are in the UK. And weighing it up, I know that we could just as easily lose our jobs in the UK. I just wonder though, if we did lose our jobs in the UK, as citizens we'd find it much easier to get a replacement job than, say, we would as immigrants on a TWP in Canada. I know it's a risk at any time and not just in a recession, but I'm thinking it's probably even more of a risk now.

From what I understand, if we were in Canada on a TWP and lost our jobs, we could stay for as long as the TWP was valid for, but would have to get new paperwork for any new job offer. And with any new job offer, that employer would have to apply for LMO and prove they'd tried to employ a Canadian first before offering the job to an immigrant?

One thing I haven't looked into properly is EI with TWP and no PR, or what EI covers (equivalent to jobseekers allowance?).

It seems most sensible, for now, to stay put in the UK and wait for things to improve. I'd be interested in hearing about anyone else who has started plans to emigrate and has put them on hold, and why.

Thanks for the link to Danny B's thread, Iain - I'll show it to husband tonight.

Last edited by JTM73; Feb 19th 2009 at 8:18 am. Reason: changed 'dole' (old English) to 'jobseekers allowance'
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

manchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant future

HI,
its taken 3 years for us to get to this stage.
We have PR, and I am a NUrse, have taken the canadian exams and passe but have not seriously started looking for work yet.
We are going to rent our house here, and then rent when we get over. I am taking a career break from work (nhs) so if everything goes pearshaped we can come back.
Is it worth taking the risk?
After reading some of these posts I am very worried.
Hubby is a builder by trade but does have an income from renting houses out here which will be transferred over, also has a pension from being a fireman previously.
Now a builder ,but obviously we are well aware of the economic downturn.
We need to get our passports stamped before May to get the pr etc!!
Eek, my guts say we should still give it a go
Any ideas anyone
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:07 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manchesterchick
HI,
its taken 3 years for us to get to this stage.
We have PR, and I am a NUrse, have taken the canadian exams and passe but have not seriously started looking for work yet.
We are going to rent our house here, and then rent when we get over. I am taking a career break from work (nhs) so if everything goes pearshaped we can come back.
Is it worth taking the risk?
After reading some of these posts I am very worried.
Hubby is a builder by trade but does have an income from renting houses out here which will be transferred over, also has a pension from being a fireman previously.
Now a builder ,but obviously we are well aware of the economic downturn.
We need to get our passports stamped before May to get the pr etc!!
Eek, my guts say we should still give it a go
Any ideas anyone
Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

You know it makes sense
Old Feb 19th 2009, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

manchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant future

Thanks for that, need as much positivity as I can get.
What will you be up to in Vancouver then?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

audreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to all

Speaking from my own experience I would stay put in the UK for now and wait for things to improve. I moved out to Ontario in July last year and haven't been able to find work. UK degree credentials are not recognised here and your UK work experience is also completely overlooked. What is significant in gaining a job is 'Canadian Experience'. You may have to work for free for sometime in a Canadian work place to get the first rung on the ladder and the first rung will often be significantly lower down than in the UK. ie. menial, or if you're not bothered then you can start as any sort of menial and work up (slowly and taking many years). If you can arrange a job before you come out then that is better, but know that job security here is very insecure and people get laid off regularly. The Canadian employment system is completely different from the UK system, ie. not based on meritocracy. If you think networking/nepotism is bad in the UK with the upper middle class then you want to try the 'we hire our family and friends approach' in Canada (if you know some Brit expats you might be OK). You will need to change your CV to a 'resume' and re-think your approach to cover letters etc to fit with the Canadian style. I have sent of hundreds of resumes and have not had a single call back. You will be called back if you apply to very low paid and highly insecure jobs. Also you will often find you are over qualified and that will also stand against you. It is catch-22. It is NOTHING like the UK or the USA here, Canada has its own systems (systems which may surprise you)

Other things to consider. Do NOT sell your UK home and buy in Canada straight out. Many Brits in Canada are stuck here at the mo. Because they can't sell their house here. Think of everything as temporary ie. rent here and rent out your UK home if you must come (and in hindsight I would say, put your stuff in storage in UK and don't ship it all out)

Exchange rate is absolutely terrible, it hasn't been at the standard $2 to £1 since October last year. This really bites into your UK funds.

For me and my husband, we have had enough and are returning in September. Everyones situation is different, but we are returning for economic reasons because unless you are super rich and don't really need to work (ie. a retiree) coming to Canada right now is madness if you actually enjoy and have a good life in UK. Our lifestyle has significantly deteriorated since we have been here (we are mid 30's and lived and worked in London for last 10 years). We are now living off one salary and hardly spending on anything to get us through till September. It has been a very expensive enterprise. I wouldn't say totally wasted as we have both learnt a tremendous amount about life and especially how to cope with extreme stress (without any family, friends support). You may be at a stage in your life when you really want a challenge, well then, come to Canada as it is a supreme test to become established here. For those on here who have made it work I salute you because I know what you have gone through to get there!!!

Hope this is helpful and not too negative. it isn't impossible to start a new life here, but entirely the wrong time to travel/emmigrate at the mo.!!! (unless as I say you just one the lottery and haven't a care!)
Old Feb 19th 2009, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by audreyrose23
Speaking from my own experience I would stay put in the UK for now and wait for things to improve. I moved out to Ontario in July last year and haven't been able to find work. UK degree credentials are not recognised here and your UK work experience is also completely overlooked. What is significant in gaining a job is 'Canadian Experience'. You may have to work for free for sometime in a Canadian work place to get the first rung on the ladder and the first rung will often be significantly lower down than in the UK. ie. menial, or if you're not bothered then you can start as any sort of menial and work up (slowly and taking many years). If you can arrange a job before you come out then that is better, but know that job security here is very insecure and people get laid off regularly. The Canadian employment system is completely different from the UK system, ie. not based on meritocracy. If you think networking/nepotism is bad in the UK with the upper middle class then you want to try the 'we hire our family and friends approach' in Canada (if you know some Brit expats you might be OK). You will need to change your CV to a 'resume' and re-think your approach to cover letters etc to fit with the Canadian style. I have sent of hundreds of resumes and have not had a single call back. You will be called back if you apply to very low paid and highly insecure jobs. Also you will often find you are over qualified and that will also stand against you. It is catch-22. It is NOTHING like the UK or the USA here, Canada has its own systems (systems which may surprise you)

Other things to consider. Do NOT sell your UK home and buy in Canada straight out. Many Brits in Canada are stuck here at the mo. Because they can't sell their house here. Think of everything as temporary ie. rent here and rent out your UK home if you must come (and in hindsight I would say, put your stuff in storage in UK and don't ship it all out)

Exchange rate is absolutely terrible, it hasn't been at the standard $2 to £1 since October last year. This really bites into your UK funds.

For me and my husband, we have had enough and are returning in September. Everyones situation is different, but we are returning for economic reasons because unless you are super rich and don't really need to work (ie. a retiree) coming to Canada right now is madness if you actually enjoy and have a good life in UK. Our lifestyle has significantly deteriorated since we have been here (we are mid 30's and lived and worked in London for last 10 years). We are now living off one salary and hardly spending on anything to get us through till September. It has been a very expensive enterprise. I wouldn't say totally wasted as we have both learnt a tremendous amount about life and especially how to cope with extreme stress (without any family, friends support). You may be at a stage in your life when you really want a challenge, well then, come to Canada as it is a supreme test to become established here. For those on here who have made it work I salute you because I know what you have gone through to get there!!!

Hope this is helpful and not too negative. it isn't impossible to start a new life here, but entirely the wrong time to travel/emmigrate at the mo.!!! (unless as I say you just one the lottery and haven't a care!)
Great Post Audreyrose! sorry to hear things are tough for you, but I suspect you are not alone!

I think it's important for folks to be shown both sides of the coin, it's easy when moving to another country to ignore some of the warning signs and be carried away with the excitement.

As Audrey states the job market is very different from the UK - 2 weeks notice, 2 weeks hols, low pay for many jobs, an expat is an outsider and held in suspicion by many, They like your accent, but are often more likely to employ a local. Especially now!

For us we did well on property in the UK, and had some high earning years, providing a cushion, but 18 months in canada and the exchange rate fluctuation has reduced that considerably, without living a lavish lifestyle

s
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

audreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to all

My post was rather long winded! In a nutshell I would say I regret assuming that the Canadian workplace would reflect that of the UK (assuming they are both developed countries) and that I would continue to work here at/below the level of the professional job I left in the UK. But looking at a longterm future of part-time work, retail, waitressing, coffee serving, etc I just didn't think it was worth it (I have no kids though, so am not in a position where I am sacrificing myself for the greater good of their future).

I think for some, the chance of living the more relaxed easy going Canadian lifestyle (and having something good for your kids) is worth losing your working life for..or if you are retired it doesn't matter. But I realised that my working life and the independence that brought me was key to my happiness.

I think for professional immigrants from the UK and other developed countries this should be a key consideration as there simply isn't enough job availability higher up.

No regrets though, and everyone really has to experience it their own way. Still love Canada, just a bit more realistic about it!!!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 8:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I don't decry your experience, but to suggest UK degrees and work experience aren't worth anything is just false. Maybe you've just been unlucky, but your description above certainly doesn't reflect the experience I've had here, or several ex-pat friends I have.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

I have got a UK degree in Nusing and I have also done the Canadian RN exam and passed it. Prior to us getting permanent residency I was offered numerous jobs, but decided to wait until the residency came through to enable me to work part time.
I have been told by past prospective canadian employers ,that my uk experience will stand me in goodstead from a wage perspective, however I am expecting to be at the bottom of the ladder from a team perspective as I have never worked in Canada before!! It may be strange for me after being a qualified rN over here for 19 years , but I am willing to keep my head down, as I am sure there will be many differences, certainly culturally for starters!!
I have a 4 year old and I am hoping that it will be a better place to bring him up.
We are going to rent our house and rent in Canada to see how it goes anyway, as we think it would be silly to just "upsticks", especially seeing as though the market has slumped.
My husband is a young retiree anyway, who is is in perfect health and able to work If all else faile we have his pension and hopefully my wage to see us through.
It is worrying though with the economy being as it is at the moment, but we have been planning this for 3-4 years and feel we have at least gotta try, haven't we??

Is there anyone who has made a success of it that can give us some tips or positive thought, but again we appreciate eveyones honesty
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

As a nurse you are probably in a good position from the point of view of job security, How does the salary compare? However I am aware there have been some health care redundancies in ontario.

I'd agree that canada may have better prospects for your son, it doesnt seem quite as far along the line of degradation as the UK is currently. But that does depend on where you are I would imagine (both UK & Canada). I think you are sensible to rent your UK place, Keeping a foot in both camps is probably helpful.

So in that respects you are probably in a good position to try it out. Especially if you have a stack of cash that you are prepared not to see again in terms of the cost of re-establishing in another country.

I think that folks moving to canada at present will find it a little tougher financially than a couple of years ago, largely due to sterling's weakness - 40+ cents difference in every pound has an impact on your buying power. Obviously once you are here and earning in dollars it's less of an issue.

I know a chap who moved here a few years ago, he managed to negotiate the same salary as he had in the UK, and consequently found himself very well off relatively.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
As Audrey states the job market is very different from the UK - 2 weeks notice, 2 weeks hols, low pay for many jobs, an expat is an outsider and held in suspicion by many,
Termination notice for permanent jobs is not two weeks, it's regulated by provincial laws like Ontario Employment Act. Will be more if you work longer for the same company. Two weeks holidays is common, but big respectable IT shops will give you three from the beginning, growing to four after few years. Expats-outsiders - depends. I thought the same way until got hired and found that I'm not alone to have the first Canadian job there. Surprise!

The rest is true. I.e. sucks. Don't even think about surviving on a low paid job in Canada - it will be much worse than surviving on a low paid job in Europe.

However, I still think that there is no good or bad economic time to immigrate. It's about changing your life, not following the economy. If it's only about job, stay there where you have it now. The only exception was being in IT at the peak of dotcom boom.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

I don't decry your experience, but to suggest UK degrees and work experience aren't worth anything is just false. Maybe you've just been unlucky, but your description above certainly doesn't reflect the experience I've had here, or several ex-pat friends I have.
Ditto.

Me and the Mrs. both got all experience & qualifications taken into account, and a step up in salary (IT and healthcare, respectively).

It varies hugely; no one-size-fits-all.

There are so many variables surrounding emigration that whilst the 'best time to move' may improve the odds, there's still an enormous amount of luck in the timing - you could land on your feet in a crappy time, or sink in the boom years. Emigration lottery, innit

Last edited by Iain Mc; Feb 20th 2009 at 2:58 am.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JTM73
Sorry, I've done searches, but not been successful. Can anyone point me to any threads discussing the economic climate, job losses, and opinions on whether it is best to stay put for the time being?

Many thanks.
No real wrong time.....it is all about your lifestyle and values. You might not find yourself in the mirror image of your uk life in terms of employment as flexibility is a key to immigrant success. But, you might find yourself in a better place to live! I found that the first two years are the hardest and then you get over yourself.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 4:06 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Are you aware that London is probably the worst city on the planet in looking for work atm?
Old Feb 20th 2009, 7:29 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manchesterchick
Thanks for that, need as much positivity as I can get.
What will you be up to in Vancouver then?
Me? Well we're over in June/July for friends wedding and hopefully "landing" after a successful family class application later in the year (unless we get it mega quick).

When we finally land it'll be the usual stuff. Rent an apartment downtown, visit friends and family, and find a job. My wife works for Tiffany & Co so hopefully she'll be able to get a nice transfer. I'm a Project Manager so will look for contract work if i can, otherwise a perm position will do.

I'm just sooooooooo excited. Even the downturn over there won't dampen my spirits

How about yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.