British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Wrong time to emigrate? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/wrong-time-emigrate-592292/)

JTM73 Feb 18th 2009 1:24 pm

Wrong time to emigrate?

Sorry, I've done searches, but not been successful. Can anyone point me to any threads discussing the economic climate, job losses, and opinions on whether it is best to stay put for the time being?

Many thanks.

snowshoveller Feb 18th 2009 1:53 pm

Re: Wrong time to emigrate?

It depends a lot on what you do(or can do) for a living, and what is your situation in the UK (assuming that is where you are!). Also what are your reasons for wanting to move.

There are considerable job losses going on in Canada, in manufacturing, obviously service industry will be next. If you have an essential skill then impact may be limited. I would say that the UK and usa are further through the process than Ca, USA is going to need to recover and start buying what Ca produces before things improve significantly.

I dont know, but I suspect that if the canadian unemployment rate increases very much getting LMO approval for jobs is going to become more difficult. It is after all about protecting the interests of existing citizens

s

JTM73 Feb 18th 2009 2:39 pm

Thank you, snowshoveller; that's the sort of information I was after when looking for other discussions on this (I didn't want to rehash a subject that might have been done to death already).

Reasons for wanting to move to Canada - no more than just for the life experience. I like Britain so have nothing against staying here. I'm not looking to move for any kind of better life - just a different life in a different culture. It was to be my personal adventure in life, because I've not had children. I understand that immigration is a risk at any time, but I'm thinking it must be more so now.

For a living - husband is in IT, I am a copywriter. We have a house that, if we made the move, we would have to sell.

What you say about getting LMO approval is a major thing I've been considering. If thousands of Canadians are losing their jobs, then it must be getting harder for immigrants to find an employer who has spent 3(?) months looking for a Canadian, been unsuccessful, and had to employ an immigrant.

Iain Mc Feb 18th 2009 3:12 pm

Where you would like to move to may also be important, there's a fair bit of regional variation over here in terms of local economies.

JTM73 Feb 18th 2009 3:14 pm

Thanks Iain. We fancy BC - but really are pretty open.

Cassie 10000 Feb 18th 2009 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by JTM73 (Post 7297929)
Sorry, I've done searches, but not been successful. Can anyone point me to any threads discussing the economic climate, job losses, and opinions on whether it is best to stay put for the time being?

Many thanks.

The Move Back to Uk forum is also worth a peek.

There was one thread just yesterday http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590129

Remember that every ones circumstances are different and keep and open mind :)

JTM73 Feb 18th 2009 3:35 pm

Thank you, Cassie. Interesting thread! And thought-provoking reading.

Cassie 10000 Feb 18th 2009 3:37 pm

Like I said, everyones situation is different, so please take that into account and don't be put off coming. :)

Auld Yin Feb 18th 2009 3:40 pm

The only thing certain in this life is DEATH. Even taxes can be and are avoided by some people. Moving to Canada at this time is a riskier venture than it was a year ago. One can obtain employment prior to coming and be out of work one month after arrival. But, that can happen if one applies/gets a new job from within the UK in a location that required house sale and relocation to another part of the country.
The fact you do not have children can make such a move easier and with less risk. There would only be 2 people to consider rather than 3, 4 or 5. It allows for easier mobility.
You don't indicate ages, but assuming you're relatively young, there remains time to make such an important move. From other posts on this site it appears many are having difficulty selling their UK properties. You state you are happy in UK so probably have a good life. I would recommend you stay put for the time being but plan a 3-4 week trip to BC, if that's your preference, and get an idea of lifestyle there and research employment possibilities.

Cassie 10000 Feb 18th 2009 4:01 pm

We moved for the opportunity and experience of it we are lucky that we would have accomodation to go back to if we do decide to go back to Blighty.

We take every day as it comes and try to enjoy every single moment of it. Life has a way of slapping you in the face and knocking you down sometimes but you dust yourself off and get on with it.

We have no kids which made it slightly easy but we had to leave the dog :( This still sometimes gets to me.

We have been over here for just short of three months and still love it, in fact I think it is going too bloody quick.

Iain Mc Feb 18th 2009 4:16 pm

Which area of IT is your husband in JTM73?

JTM73 Feb 18th 2009 4:22 pm

Hi Iain. He is a network support engineer. MCSE qualified with extra qualifications in Exchange Server. He does remote IT support at the moment but has also done in-house support.

Thank you everyone else for your comments and advice. We are both in our mid-thirties.

ExKiwilass Feb 18th 2009 6:13 pm

There is a lot of uncertainty right now.

I liked the suggestion of a recce before you decide. Come and see for yourself/get a feel for the place. Do you read any Canadian media online? Try cbc.ca and go to the BC section. Also google the Province, the Georgia Straight, and the Vancouver Sun.

Sorry, i don't have any other advice as we're not in the same industry. I just know it's a bit all over the place right now.

gooding Feb 19th 2009 4:17 am

Originally Posted by JTM73 (Post 7297929)

Many thanks.

Come on a couple of holidays b4 anything. IF you have a home and jobs in Uk stay put. I would not have said that four years ago, but boy did we get it good back then. Things here will get worse not better, took us 3 years to both get full time work, and we thought it would be easy. I know several IT workers that changed occupations. You will need a lot more money than they say to come here with if you don't have jobs to come to . Positive side... This has happened in the past and recovery will come. Then if you really crave life here, come. I would never go back to UK as we have a fantastic job and lifestyle and are incredibly lucky.

Iain Mc Feb 19th 2009 5:25 am

Hi Iain. He is a network support engineer. MCSE qualified with extra qualifications in Exchange Server. He does remote IT support at the moment but has also done in-house support.
It sounds like he should contact Danny B!

There is certainly some work out there*, we hired someone similar recently, for what it's worth the (smallish) company I work for has hired a couple of folks through the LMO route over the past year.

* I don't pretend to speak for the market in general